• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seaway Leisure Plans Submitted

Again, I haven't seen it so I must be naive or out at the wrong times. I live near Old Leigh not up near Eastwood .. all I see are dog walkers and people buying chips and taking in the views of the Estuary. No drug dealing though I'm pretty sure it happens in the area. Basildon, not at all surprised ... I'd be more surprised if there wasn't crime. They need to get a grip of it.

lol go down the Peterboat on a Saturday in the summer more Coke being taken and dealt their than in an episode of Narcos.

Also what is it with people from Leigh that think they are a higher class citizen? And think it’s gods town

Also what is it with people from Leigh that think they are a higher class citizen? And think it’s gods town
We’re no better than anyone else. People seem to have that view but not sure why that is. I just said I’ve not seen drugs dealt openly here but I’ve never really had a clue where drugs are concerned or what to look out for. Anyway NO to the Seaways plans from me.

Good point, Ye olde chippy used to be about 2ft under water from a summer down poor. That section a long to the pier is the lowest part of Southend if we have a tidal flood. I presume they will have some serious flood defences incorporated into the build design

That said it is right to develop that part of the sea front into something for the 21st century.

They will be as safe as erm........

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18...nmSVbSexKPLfKFygpAi0y_RYwrIfaD6NHO78_1D9zjuSI

I walked along from Chalkwell to the Kursall last week, what a mess in so many places. The groyne at the arches has partly fallen into beach and is scaffolder off, the Esplande site is a mud hole, as is the fisherman's wharf site all off pier hill is closed,empty dump, pier lift shut and "golden mile" is not just tired but exhausted.

Lots of the modern blocks at Chalkwell end of front have underground parking with no known issues so I doubt that will be different for this ghetto

Turnstone Estates have now launched an appeal to the planning inspectorate .

imgID144670053.jpg.gallery.jpg
Controversial - the plans for Seaway car park
The developer behind plans to redevelop the Seaway car park into a major new leisure centre is appealing after councillors failed to make a decision on planning permission.

Southend Council’s deputy leader Ron Woodley claimed that Turnstone Estates is appealing to the planning inspectorate after a decision on planning permission for the £50million seafront leisure complex was deferred.

The decision was made last month when councillors voiced concerns about the number of parking spaces which would drop from the car park’s current 661 to 555.

Critics of the scheme, which took five years to reach the development committee, said the deferral meant it was “dead” because a contract between the developer and Southend Council was due to expire two days later.

'It's time to ditch the developer of £50m Seaway project after 6-year paralysis'

But Mr Woodley said Turnstone is appealing the decision, a move which makes the future of the plans even more complex.

Mr Woodley said: “All I know at this point is the legal position is being sought.

"They have appealed the decision on the basis of lack of decision.

"It may be that because of that appeal we cannot cancel the contract.

“It would cause a legal minefield if the secretary of state looks at this and grants planning permission but Southend Council has cancelled the contract.”

He added council bosses are currently waiting for the legal team to clarify the position.

Turnstone Estates did not respond to questions seeking to clarify their position and the reasons behind the appeal.

They also failed to respond to questions about whether they would be flexible with their plans and work with the council to add more parking spaces should the planning inspectorate rule in their favour.

Whatever the outcome of the appeal, the decision on whether to extend Turnstone’s contract to build on the Lucy Road car park is likely to be a heated topic for councillors, many of whom have already said this was going to be the developer’s “last chance”.

Developer vows to continue with £50m 'turbo boost for Southend' despite new setback

Turnstone has been responsible for the project for six years and has already been granted two extensions.

When a decision was made to extend in February last year, it was current council leader Ian Gilbert who said he was “reluctant” to agree but the developer should have “one more chance”.

Link

Turnstone Estate's sour grapes? you should have listened to Councillors, Residents, and Business Owners who are all against your crack pot scheme.

Naughty Naughty Southend Council.

The information watchdog is pressuring Southend Council to publish a report on the £50million Seaway leisure complex after it failed to make the document public on two previous occasions.

I wonder what they are trying to hide or suppress?

Link

SBC Facebook post
The council’s cabinet have agreed to maintain support for the proposed development of the Seaway car park, a private-sector led development of a cinema, hotel, restaurants, leisure space and car parking.
Councillor Ron Woodley, cabinet member for inward investment said: “Maintaining our support for this all year round leisure facility sends out the message that Southend-on-Sea is very much open for business and we want investment and job creation in the Borough.”
Read more: http://orlo.uk/Seaway_Project_lxNTc

Could be curtains for FF

Hasn't RW noticed that the current hotel, cinema, restaurant, leisure space and car-parking facilities aren't exactly pulling-in the punters en-masse.....so what's new?

SBC Facebook post
The council’s cabinet have agreed to maintain support for the proposed development of the Seaway car park, a private-sector led development of a cinema, hotel, restaurants, leisure space and car parking.
Councillor Ron Woodley, cabinet member for inward investment said: “Maintaining our support for this all year round leisure facility sends out the message that Southend-on-Sea is very much open for business and we want investment and job creation in the Borough.”
Read more: http://orlo.uk/Seaway_Project_lxNTc

Could be curtains for FF

Not at all- actually the council are beginning to view these two projects quite differently and to RM's benefit

Seaway is primarily a leisure development about attracting people to to the centre and through that the High Street (whether it would work is another debate)

RH and FF is primarily about a potentially attractive solution to the councils need for new housing developments (RH plus the revised FF proposal will go a long way to delivering on that)

So the council will quite happily be able to support both as they will be able to present both schemes as good for the town, non-competing and needed (for different reasons).

Back