• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Second Misconduct Charge

Two thousand season tickets renewing at £300 a pop pays off the tax bill.

We've already slashed the wage bill so that reduces the outgoings in the interim and then in the summer we sell Charlie Kelman to fund us for 2020/21.
You’d be a fool to renew a seaso after the last 2 years

Two thousand season tickets renewing at £300 a pop pays off the tax bill.

We've already slashed the wage bill so that reduces the outgoings in the interim and then in the summer we sell Charlie Kelman to fund us for 2020/21.

Which begs the question, why are the new prices not released yet? They are late going by previous years and we are desperate for money..It makes no sense.

So in a parallel universe somewhere, RM's gamble on backing his managers and pushing the budget to sign big name players pays off. They (and the rest of the team) don't all get injured & turn out to be as good as promised, we go up to the Championship in front of a full Wembley in the play-offs last season and are now pushing for promotion to the Prem ala Brentford. The council have actually grown a pair and backed their local club and the new stadium (which they did before the 2008 crash) which is well under way and should be ready for next season, hopefully in the Prem, but at worst in the Championship with the club on the up.

All of those thing could have happened, and I would say the fact they didn't were not Ron's fault unless you want to blame him for bad managerial appointments. Tilly, Sturrock & Brown all did ok. We all wanted Powell (who's probably to blame for our current state as much as anyone unfortunately), so we can probably only criticise him for Bond, but by then we were well and truly on the slide anyway.

There are very fine lines between success & failure. Lower league clubs have to gamble if they want to grow & climb the leagues. We gambled & failed on this occasion as many others have before us. Should we not gamble and play it safe? maybe, but how many fans would then be unhappy at us showing no ambition?

I wonder how Ron would be viewed if his gambles had paid off? I doubt many would be criticising him now. Who'd own a lower league football club.

:Clap::Clap:

Judging by the wording on this site, if it has been adjourned then the HMRC must have some hope/proof/indication that the payments can be made.

Heres hoping !
Ron did say he was going to restructure the club in some way so maybe he has been able to play for time and convince HMRC that all will be well.

All I know at the moment is that our High Court appearance has been adjourned.

I assume it's been adjourned because the Judge can't reach a verdict based on what she knows at the moment. That suggests that the Club (Ron) has produced enough evidence to show that funds are still being gathered to clear the debt and that evidence was sufficient to convince the judge to adjourn. I would imagine that HMRC would have screamed blue murder if they didn't believe that their favourite defaulter was still going for it.

I spent my entire working life reaching decisions based on fact and empirical evidence, so with all that over with I'll wait until April before I decide if I need to wear a black armband and burn my season ticket in disgust.

So, I guess we can expect to see the 'early bird' season ticket offer launched any day now with a deadline of April 29th ?

You’d be a fool to renew a seaso after the last 2 years

You'd be a fool to not renew after Saturday.

I'm genuinely excited to see how this young team fares in L2. After years of largely faceless, dour journeymen sides we've now got a group of home grown young players with character, for whom playing for Southend is meaningful.

They may not be successful but they'll be fun to watch.

Which begs the question, why are the new prices not released yet? They are late going by previous years and we are desperate for money..It makes no sense.

I believe in previous seasons they've borrowed off of future season ticket revenue sales. Ron may be trying to borrow off last year's (more favourable) figures.

Fair. The academy is expensive to run and a lot of clubs in our position would have binned it off. Shame that more general mismanagement has meant we're selling academy graduates like Bishop for buttons, rather than the money we should be getting. But yes, agree that Ron has supported the academy very well.
Do we know it was for buttons ,I thought it was ‘undisclosed’!

Last edited:
Pop it on a credit card. Southend get the cash to pay the tax man and wages and if we do go bust, you have protection under section 75 of the consumer credit act

You get the protection, unfortunately the club doesn't get the cash. When Flybe went under I think the credit card companies were withholding £50m of 'sales'.

Back