• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Second Misconduct Charge

His wealth has no relevance

Just reading Sol Campbell's biography and it's a fascinating insight into his personality and what has made him the person he is today. He is a self-made man from an impoverished background. Everything he has now has been achieved by his own hard work. He has no respect for charlatans and I can only imagine he has nothing but disdain for Ron at the moment. Why should he use his money to bail someone else out of a mess of their creation?

Just reading Sol Campbell's biography and it's a fascinating insight into his personality and what has made him the person he is today. He is a self-made man from an impoverished background. Everything he has now has been achieved by his own hard work. He has no respect for charlatans and I can only imagine he has nothing but disdain for Ron at the moment. Why should he use his money to bail someone else out of a mess of their creation?

I struggle to believe that even his doubters would not at least credit how he has conducted himself and how he achieving what he is on the pitch at this time. To the extent young players on who we are relying need a positive role model in adversity I would suggest they are getting a positive learning.

His wealth has no relevance

Quite so- and actually if anyone could just walk a way and it not matter financially to him and his family it would be him- so all the more credit for his focus and commitment..

Without ron we would have no club! Must be really easy running a football club and having to find huge tax payments on a regular basis?ron backed the managers and they was the ones who signed these players!! How they perform on the pitch is not down to ron!! and because they havent performed money isnt coming through the turnstiles so that must be rons fault too?
Ron chooses the managers with due diligence of course! So much of the blame for this season is at his door for the Bond appointment and then the holiday followed by 6 wasted weeks with the club in free all. Remember this is not the first time he has sacrificed a managers chances with non payments to players. With regard to the financial side all decisions for many years have been based on FF succeeding... which doesn't necessarily mean that during that process that all funds have been directed to the playing side. It was a gamble with huge rewards for Ron and the club if the promises he made with regard to future of club funding were met.
Will have to rename Ron, Houdini if he manages to pull this great escape off.

If the government force clubs to play behind closed doors or delay the football season, Southend could be the 1st club to die from COVID-19! For your folks sake I hope your club get out of this mess eventually, it really does sound very grim this time.

Hope that was tongue in cheek because Sol Campbell, in the circumstances, has been an absolute professional and should be commended

Although of course, with the players barely training this week, one could be excused for questioning such managerial methods, and professionalism.

Especially considering the manager supposedly hasn’t been paid his wages.

Although of course, with the players barely training this week, one could be excused for questioning such managerial methods, and professionalism.

Especially considering the manager supposedly hasn’t been paid his wages.

Or who knows even two or perhaps three.. :-)
(Sorry couldn't resist..)

I struggle to believe that even his doubters would not at least credit how he has conducted himself and how he achieving what he is on the pitch at this time. To the extent young players on who we are relying need a positive role model in adversity I would suggest they are getting a positive learning.

How he’s conducted himself? Oooh now there’s a can of worms.

If the government force clubs to play behind closed doors or delay the football season, Southend could be the 1st club to die from COVID-19! For your folks sake I hope your club get out of this mess eventually, it really does sound very grim this time.

Well I wouldn't wish a crisis on anyone- but if indeed attendance at football matches is banned this afternoon then the EFL are going to be working overtime sending out their misconduct charges. And as many on here have said, and the EFL have indicated many times, being caught by surprises is no excuse and every club/chairman should plan for the unexpected.
As a transfer embargo this time of year is for most ineffective I expect the EFL will resort to their other weapon in their armoury- nice big fines.. that will help immensely.

Seriously you do wonder how many L1 and 2 clubs could cope with no gate money for the remaining 9 games or so. Wonder how much it would cost the EFL to replace those losses through an emergency fund- or via the Premiership with a levy on Premiership Clubs? Or will the EFL do what they normally do- precisely diddly squat? Answers on a post card..

Last edited:

I said as much on another thread, but actually there's also an alternative view (not necessarily one I subscribe to though).

Given how bad our crowds are at the moment I doubt our ticket sales etc. really count for a lot. Add to that the fact that Ron is (apparently) securing funds for the rest of the season and next we may actually come out of this rather unscathed in comparison to other clubs.

I said as much on another thread, but actually there's also an alternative view (not necessarily one I subscribe to though).

Given how bad our crowds are at the moment I doubt our ticket sales etc. really count for a lot. Add to that the fact that Ron is (apparently) securing funds for the rest of the season and next we may actually come out of this rather unscathed in comparison to other clubs.

Yeah that's my thinking as well.

You can't believe a word he says that's the problem.

Ron is securing funds for the rest of this season and next?

Ok, so does this include settling the HMRC debt, having monies set aside for the HMRC bills next season, player and staff wages and all other running and admin costs?

Anyone wish to place a figure upon the above, and then suggest where Ron is getting the funds from.

I genuinely think the end is nigh for our football club.

The manifestation of the Coronavirus is leading to swathes of sporting events being cancelled globally and I think the writing's on the wall for the Premier League and the EFL to follow suit. Whether it's cancellations, suspensions or games behind closed doors, the absence of matchday revenues for the club will kill an entity that's on life support anyway.

Regarding Ron's mystery financing/means to placate HMRC, I can't help but think the damage that the current crisis will do will mean lenders will de-risk. With planning permission for FF being as far on the horizon as it ever has been, I just don't see how Ron has the means to leverage funding for the short-term, yet alone next season.

I have honestly never been more worried about the future of SUFC.

Ron is securing funds for the rest of this season and next?

Ok, so does this include settling the HMRC debt, having monies set aside for the HMRC bills next season, player and staff wages and all other running and admin costs?

Anyone wish to place a figure upon the above, and then suggest where Ron is getting the funds from.

Clearly it will need to be many millions. Ron will have to sell a few bits of land/houses or attempt to borrow against it to raise that sort of money!

Not confident...

Without ron we would have no club! Must be really easy running a football club and having to find huge tax payments on a regular basis?ron backed the managers and they was the ones who signed these players!! How they perform on the pitch is not down to ron!! and because they havent performed money isnt coming through the turnstiles so that must be rons fault too?

Majority of other clubs seem to be doing ok without Ron. They even pay their tax and staff on time because they know that if they don't the company will fail. Some clubs with far less income than our own are outperforming us.

Back