• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Second Misconduct Charge

It was how huge the whole project was and greed, if he had just been building us just a small stand alone stadium which could of been expanded later if need be and then him developing RH with how ever many houses, he would still of earn't a fortune.

It was only because he had this vision in his own egotistical head of making FF something massive that we are in this trouble. Lots of stand alone stadiums have been built in the past 20 years while he has faffed about. There is nobody else to blame here at all apart from himself.

The football club is just a sideshow to all this and probably a very annoying one to a property developer (cough).

Last edited:
No, he was promised he would have it as the first game at Fossetts - I don't blame anyone for wanting to fulfil that promise.

Who actually cares about FF, i don't and i doubt many others do. All we want is a ground somewhere in Southend and to see our team still in existance. I could not care less where it is. RM can keep all of FF and RH and make it all houses. The council need new homes, it is a fact and they have been told by the government to build them. They are even looking at the land next door to FF to build on now as i think they recently purchased that. Things for everybody would be a lot simpler if we just get a 4 sided stadium we can expand anywhere in town, RM sells RH and FF to developers who actually build houses and drop the cinema, retail etc from his vision, which would please the council who want to protect the high street and have there own grand vision of the Seaway plan and all would be happy.

@OldBlueLady if you think the 2008 recession was bad and that ****ed on RM's chips, what we are possibly facing now will make that look like a holiday. It's the grand plan that is wrong and there will always be stumbling blocks appear if it drags on for 20 years

As i said in my previous post it's one mans greed and vision, so there is ONLY one man to blame.

We as the fans and our club are in a perilous state atm and very much teetering on the edge.

Last edited:
Who actually cares about FF, i don't and i doubt many others do. All we want is a ground somewhere in Southend and to see our team still in existance. I could not care less where it is. RM can keep all of FF and RH and make it all houses. The council need new homes, it is a fact and they have been told by the government to build them. They are even looking at the land next door to FF to build on now as i think they recently purchased that. Things for everybody would be a lot simpler if we just get 4 sided stadium we can expand anywhere in town, RM sells RH and FF to developers who actually build houses and drop the cinema, retail etc from his vision, which would please the council who want to protect the high street and have there own grand vision of the Seaway plan and all would be happy.

@OldBlueLady if you think the 2008 recession was bad and that ****ed on RM's chips, what we are possibly facing now will make that look like a holiday. It's the grand plan that is wrong and there will always be stumbling blocks appear if it drags on for 20 years

As i said in my previous post it's one mans greed and vision, so there is ONLY one man to blame.

We as the fans and our club are in a perilous state atm and very much teatering on the edge.

THIS sums everything up. Only Ron trying to go big and be greedy has caused this. His piling of money into this hair brained venture has put us where we are.

When people start to realise that, as a club and fan base we just might be able to start getting somewhere

Ron is a property developer who might well be greedy. His motivation for somehow having kept Southend United afloat all these years is probably the hope he will be become very rich should all his plans come to fruition. Do I care if Ron becomes rich or not? I do not.
While Ron has chased his dream he has also somehow kept in existence the football team I have always supported.
For that I thank him. Had he not found a way to keep going we would have gone under long ago.

Ron is a property developer who might well be greedy. His motivation for somehow having kept Southend United afloat all these years is probably the hope he will be become very rich should all his plans come to fruition. Do I care if Ron becomes rich or not? I do not.
While Ron has chased his dream he has also somehow kept in existence the football team I have always supported.
For that I thank him. Had he not found a way to keep going we would have gone under long ago.

Objection your honour; that is conjecture of the highest order.

No.

Over spending.
Miss management.
Fielding ineligible player.
Not paying tax.
Not paying players.
Trying to do everything himself.
Having to play kids.

Yes, you can feel sorry for him but it doesn’t mean you can’t criticise. We’re in this mess because of the above. Decisions he’s made. We’ve had great successes under him. But that doesn’t mean he can do what he wants without criticism.

A manager doesn’t have that luxury. So the person who runs the club shouldn’t.

The only thing meaning he gets away with all this madness is that the young team we are playing out of necessity have been absolutely phenomenal.

But I can’t get away from the fact I didn’t pay my season ticket money to watch a team of development players.

I expect a certain level of professionalism in the way the club is run and a set of pros on the pitch (but the kids are doing very well and it’s great to see).

Ron’s getting away with it.

But hey lessons learned maybe it’ll make him a better chairman. But still it doesn’t mean we sit in silence like good little fans. Have got to call out the bull****.

It’s taking advantage of me and YOU and US!

Just one thing. I think Ron should get more credit for investing so much into the youth setup to enable us to have all these great kids to call upon. Yes, Ricky and his team have done a superb job and are primarily responsible - but Ron has backed them with the cash and resources to do so.

Actually, we're in this mess because of the global financial crash a decade or so ago which followed Fossetts being called in at the highest level - if EITHER of those things hadn't have happened, we'd have been in there ages ago, and Kev Maher would have had his testimonial.
And so would Frankie Banks. He is/was next on the Testimonial list!

Just one thing. I think Ron should get more credit for investing so much into the youth setup to enable us to have all these great kids to call upon. Yes, Ricky and his team have done a superb job and are primarily responsible - but Ron has backed them with the cash and resources to do so.

Fair. The academy is expensive to run and a lot of clubs in our position would have binned it off. Shame that more general mismanagement has meant we're selling academy graduates like Bishop for buttons, rather than the money we should be getting. But yes, agree that Ron has supported the academy very well.

Actually, we're in this mess because of the global financial crash a decade or so ago which followed Fossetts being called in at the highest level - if EITHER of those things hadn't have happened, we'd have been in there ages ago, and Kev Maher would have had his testimonial.

That's debatable. Besides a huge majority of companies have recovered and prospered since then. Just more evidence that proves that Ron is a woeful businessman. The competition has beaten him with ease.

So in a parallel universe somewhere, RM's gamble on backing his managers and pushing the budget to sign big name players pays off. They (and the rest of the team) don't all get injured & turn out to be as good as promised, we go up to the Championship in front of a full Wembley in the play-offs last season and are now pushing for promotion to the Prem ala Brentford. The council have actually grown a pair and backed their local club and the new stadium (which they did before the 2008 crash) which is well under way and should be ready for next season, hopefully in the Prem, but at worst in the Championship with the club on the up.

All of those thing could have happened, and I would say the fact they didn't were not Ron's fault unless you want to blame him for bad managerial appointments. Tilly, Sturrock & Brown all did ok. We all wanted Powell (who's probably to blame for our current state as much as anyone unfortunately), so we can probably only criticise him for Bond, but by then we were well and truly on the slide anyway.

There are very fine lines between success & failure. Lower league clubs have to gamble if they want to grow & climb the leagues. We gambled & failed on this occasion as many others have before us. Should we not gamble and play it safe? maybe, but how many fans would then be unhappy at us showing no ambition?

I wonder how Ron would be viewed if his gambles had paid off? I doubt many would be criticising him now. Who'd own a lower league football club.

This is really, really bad. He is skint

Two thousand season tickets renewing at £300 a pop pays off the tax bill.

We've already slashed the wage bill so that reduces the outgoings in the interim and then in the summer we sell Charlie Kelman to fund us for 2020/21.

Back