• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Second round: Tie 5

Tie 5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
First up today brings us Christopher Nolan (Seany T) against Ridley Scott (GHG).

Evidence please people!

"Well I've had a lovely time, but I'm going to take my money and leave".

I suspect this is a losing battle, but here you go:

Nolan is great. He reinvented the Batman franchise - twice - screwed with our minds in the decades true indie cult classic Memento, showed he could pull off gritty cop dramas with Insomnia and is now producing blockbusters like the brilliantly executed The Prestige.

Does he deserve to win this competition? Probably as much as half of the other folks in it. Does he deserve to beat Scott? Hmmmm.... not so sure, Blade Runner and Alien are mighty fine and unarguably more important flicks.

But I shall leave you with this:

The-Joker-the-joker-1457929-1280-1024.jpg

Sorry Seany you tipped the balance by mentioning two of my favourite films: Blade Runner & Alien.

I think CN is unlucky to come up against a heavyweight such as RS.

I loved The Dark Knight, and enjoyed Batman Begins aswell as Insomnia.

HOWEVER

Alien, Bladerunner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal and American Gangster, shows Ridley should be the winner.

Sidenote; Ridley contracted to direct the untitled "Alien" prequel film due in 2011

Sidenote; Ridley contracted to direct the untitled "Alien" prequel film due in 2011

I really hope this is good. Stories vary as to whether he's directing it or overseeing his protege. I hope it's the former, unless the protege is some kind of arthouse maverick like Scott circa 1977.

Supposedly, it's going to show how the Alien planet got there and how it all started, but I'm wondering how they will do this if there's no humans involved. Part of what made the original so awesome was just these 'victims' turning up, exploring an Alien world and getting royally ****ed over with no back story.

Back stories general suck.

Whilst talking about Scott, am I the only person who thought Gladiator was a bit average? A proper 6 or 7 / 10 flick?

Also, Hannibal was terrible...

I quite liked Matchstick Men though.

I think CN is unlucky to come up against a heavyweight such as RS.

I loved The Dark Knight, and enjoyed Batman Begins aswell as Insomnia.

HOWEVER

Alien, Bladerunner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Hannibal and American Gangster, shows Ridley should be the winner.

I've greened you for clicking on Nolan anyhow!

Back