• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend High:

Me
Bentley's Absurd Gait
Napster

Westcliff High:

Barna
OBL

It's your choice x

So after all that, my neice got 4A*s and 7As. She's not sure where she wants to go, but will probably stay where she is, and has signed up to do 5 A Levels...she's mad.

So after all that, my neice got 4A*s and 7As. She's not sure where she wants to go, but will probably stay where she is, and has signed up to do 5 A Levels...she's mad.

Strange but true................to get into 6th form at the grammar schools it helps if the young adult applies to the selective school of the other sex, i.e.. girls apply to the boys school. And also outside activity interests go a long way too, such as sports, music, D of E scheme stuff.

not sure where your niece lives , but for the Grammar schools in Essex she will have had to have told the school that she had applied for that she was taking the lace last week - if not it has gone - but I am sure she knows that
An excellent set of results- her family should be very proud. Altough I am surprised that the school is allowing her to take 5 A levels , that is normally only for pupils with, believe it or not far better results than she achieved

I guess this is the crux of the discussion 'how do you measure a 'good' school' Beauchamps lost its award winning Head Teacher a couple of years back, who went on to take on several failing schools. He had improved the school year on year , and it got an 'outstanding' ofsted report- but that was 6 years ago . He also won a couple of National Headmaster awards . HOWEVER despite losing him , and his replacement being , let us say 'not as good' Beauchamps exams results are significantly better than KES

74% GCSE 5A* to C including maths and English vs 48%
94% GCSE 5A* to C exluding maths and English vs 73%
source data each schools website i

So based on the above - is KES a better school than Beauchamps ?

My kids are presently at Beauchamps . They like the school, but can't stand the head (most parents can't stand him either, my self included). However my daughter has just left and is expected to get 9 A*'s and one A Subject to results she has been accepted into WHSG SHSG , SHSB WHSB and KEGS in Chelmsford (one of the top 10 schools in the country!) and now needs to choose which one (she has discounted the girls school) and is feeling the pressure as she 'referred' the enviroment at WHSG , and doesn't like the idea of being one oif the less gifted (at KEGS) but realizes that she will get an education second to none (although all of the boys schools at 6th form appear to be 1st rate to me_). So for us the school has done something right, although had she have gone to SHSG when we wanted her to at 11, who knows what she might have achieved.

Anyway my point is choosing a school is very difficult, as there are different aspects to consider and it is important to ask the right questions. The 'right' school for one child may be the 'wrong' school for another

My daughter just missed her expected grades- but still got the best grades in the school :happy: . She 'only' got 8 A*'s two A's (although for English lit where she got an A the school is paying for the whole class to be remarked as everyone's grades where down on predictions) g a and a C in further maths which is a higher qualification and helpful for when she takes maths at A level. Interestingly all the pupils that got an A or A* in maths did further maths, and everyone who got a lower grades does statistics which is a normal GCSE and apparently 'easy'.
So she 'could have got a further A* which would have looked better on any form , but is actually not as useful as her further maths qualification which does not look as good-- madness

She immediately decided against WHSG and SHSG and after much deliberation choose WHSB

Yours one very proud father

My daughter has passed her 11 plus, and after much research, asking other parents and children, we chose Southend High over Westcliff. Both great schools, both have tons of homework, but Westcliff go way over the top and are much stricter. She starts next week.

I read back a few pages that Belfairs is meant to be decent now?

When i was at King John, that is where the pupils that got expelled were sent! Has it really improved that much?

She 'only' got 8 A*'s two A's (although for English lit where she got an A the school is paying for the whole class to be remarked as everyone's grades where down on predictions) g a and a C in further maths which is a higher qualification and helpful for when she takes maths at A level[/B].

Wow, you must be very proud.

Yours one very proud father

Oh, you are.

I read back a few pages that Belfairs is meant to be decent now?

When i was at King John, that is where the pupils that got expelled were sent! Has it really improved that much?

It's where I went back in the Seventies. It tended to have the worst kids, with fights every Day. It toughened me up, and didn't do me any harm, despite all the trouble I got into, Lol.

Nowadays, it has new school buildings and has much better behaviour. Results have really improved, and is now a good school.

Some great results on here, well done!
Would be nice to hear from a few parents with children that have 'normal' results rather than just the exceptional results.
But lets face it no one is going to post on here that there son/daughter has failed miserably!

Would be nice to hear from a few parents with children that have 'normal' results rather than just the exceptional results.
But lets face it no one is going to post on here that there son/daughter has failed miserably!
I know what you mean! I posted on FB on the day of the GCSE results that people need to think of those for whom As and A*s are not the expectations, there are plenty who got lots of Cs and Bs and, as long as they got what they needed to do what they want to do for A levels, then that's all they needed to worry about. That, and having a magic 4 at C+ pass, including maths and English, is really the only purpose of GCSEs.

Have to turn the TV off on the morning of exam results because they all have those stupid roaming reporters getting kids to open their results live on air. They always have 34 A* passes, wow what a shock. How about picking random kids out and making them do it rather than the top 5% of the school. That would make better TV....

I know what you mean! I posted on FB on the day of the GCSE results that people need to think of those for whom As and A*s are not the expectations, there are plenty who got lots of Cs and Bs and, as long as they got what they needed to do what they want to do for A levels, then that's all they needed to worry about. That, and having a magic 4 at C+ pass, including maths and English, is really the only purpose of GCSEs.

Indeed. The day my niece got her results her younger sister said, "I'm never going to get anywhere near that", and was really quiet all day.

I remember a story that someone told me. A friend of my wife is one of a pair of twins, male and female. The male is super intelligent is works as a lawyer for some futures and options company. His twin sister isn't so blessed. When they got their O Level results (it was that long ago) he got straight As and she didn't get any where near that.

Their father was amazing about it. He just said to her that different people are intelligent in different ways, and not to worry about it.

The same is true of my younger niece, she's very sporty and very good at drama and various performing arts.

Indeed. The day my niece got her results her younger sister said, "I'm never going to get anywhere near that", and was really quiet all day.

I remember a story that someone told me. A friend of my wife is one of a pair of twins, male and female. The male is super intelligent is works as a lawyer for some futures and options company. His twin sister isn't so blessed. When they got their O Level results (it was that long ago) he got straight As and she didn't get any where near that.

Their father was amazing about it. He just said to her that different people are intelligent in different ways, and not to worry about it.

The same is true of my younger niece, she's very sporty and very good at drama and various performing arts.
Exactly, everyone has their strengths and their weaknesses, it's about applying your strengths in the best way to get the best results - whether that's academically or not. Their father sounds like a very sensible man.

Exactly, everyone has their strengths and their weaknesses, it's about applying your strengths in the best way to get the best results - whether that's academically or not. Their father sounds like a very sensible man.

I got 10 O levels and my brother got none. Not stopped him, he is an electrician and just wasnt academic.

I got 10 O levels and my brother got none. Not stopped him, he is an electrician and just wasnt academic.

Similar here too, I got 9 O levels and 3 A levels, my sister got none yet she is in a well paid job in the city, having gained all her experience while working to get where she is. We're all different and parents definitely need to know not to compare their kids.

Back