• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
My daughter is at that age we are looking at her next school and have been going to a few open evenings.

To be honest Im horrified at the schools in the area and would appreciate other peoples views.

She is a bright girl and is going for her 11+ and I think its 50/50 whether she passes it, if she does then Westcliff High or Southend High are both fantastic schools and Id be delighted.

However I think that theres a reasonable chance she wont pass it so then we have to consider the rest of the schools.

Just been to Eastwood and that looks a decent school, but we arent in the catchment and she is academic rather than sporting so no chance of getting in there.

What terrifies me is what the other choices are, the Chase, Cecil Jones and King Edmunds in Rochford? King Edmunds looks decent but the other two look like schools from hell to be honest (although I havent been to see them yet).

Is schooling in our town really that bad??

When I moved to Southend (from Leigh and Benfleet) I objected to the missus as where I come from the schools are pretty decent (I went to King John). However I for once went with the flow and moved here, albeit I worked in the town at the time so it was idea for that. Im now beginning to wonder if it was the biggest mistake Ive made with the kids futures at stake. If however she passes the 11+ and gets into Westcliff then living here will be the best decision !

Such a stressful time at the moment...

My daughter is at that age we are looking at her next school and have been going to a few open evenings.

To be honest Im horrified at the schools in the area and would appreciate other peoples views.

She is a bright girl and is going for her 11+ and I think its 50/50 whether she passes it, if she does then Westcliff High or Southend High are both fantastic schools and Id be delighted.

However I think that theres a reasonable chance she wont pass it so then we have to consider the rest of the schools.

Just been to Eastwood and that looks a decent school, but we arent in the catchment and she is academic rather than sporting so no chance of getting in there.

What terrifies me is what the other choices are, the Chase, Cecil Jones and King Edmunds in Rochford? King Edmunds looks decent but the other two look like schools from hell to be honest (although I havent been to see them yet).

Is schooling in our town really that bad??

When I moved to Southend (from Leigh and Benfleet) I objected to the missus as where I come from the schools are pretty decent (I went to King John). However I for once went with the flow and moved here, albeit I worked in the town at the time so it was idea for that. Im now beginning to wonder if it was the biggest mistake Ive made with the kids futures at stake. If however she passes the 11+ and gets into Westcliff then living here will be the best decision !

Such a stressful time at the moment...

I was at Eastwood school tonight too as it's my catchment. The headmasters speech sounded like he was a politician putting spin on everything he said. The kids were lovely but obviously chosen to make the school look good. it's all about results but there was no emphasis on how the kids get there. No mention of different teaching methods for different types of kids, no mention of the pastoral care.

I have heard a lot of good things about Sweyne school in Rayleigh and Fiztwimarc is also good. It is a very stressful time.

Is Belfairs out of the question? For non Grammar children, that seems to be one of the better choices around. I think Chase has improved enormously and I think they are partners with King John so they share some expertise and experience with them.

If there's a chance of her getting into Grammar school, and remember, if you're catchment, then you have a distinct advantage. It used to be that, say you put SHSG as 1st choice and WHSG for 2nd, that if Southend couldn't take you, then Westcliff wouldn't as you'd not put them as 1st choice. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but my advice would be to only put ONE of the Grammar schools down.

I was at Eastwood school tonight too as it's my catchment. The headmasters speech sounded like he was a politician putting spin on everything he said. The kids were lovely but obviously chosen to make the school look good. it's all about results but there was no emphasis on how the kids get there. No mention of different teaching methods for different types of kids, no mention of the pastoral care.

I have heard a lot of good things about Sweyne school in Rayleigh and Fiztwimarc is also good. It is a very stressful time.

I can't blame any school for wanting to create the best impression on potential newcomers, but I always questioned if a school seemed to hide things, for instance, the pupils on hand at Open Evenings should be representative of the school, therefore I would expect to see a diverse cross section of pupils, including representation of those with Special Educational Needs. I would also expect a school to be transparent about its treatment of pupils with SEN, I know when I looked around with my two, one of the schools we viewed refused to answer open questions during the parents' meeting instead asking the individual who asked the question to speak to them privately. If a school is not prepared to discuss its policy for teaching pupils with SEN, then I wonder how much else they hide.

Last edited:
We live in Eastwood, or at least my wife does. We discounted Eastwood in a nano-second. Both of ours went to Fitzwimarc but Sweyne is equally as good a choice. Don't be put off by the sporty feel of Fitz. Neither of mine are particularly sporty but that wasn't an issue. Of the two my daughter is the academic one. My son wasn't but there were a couple of teachers that saw the strengths he did have (art and construction) and pushed the reticence out of him. That really impressed me. Got friends also from Eastwood that did the Sweyne experience.

At least get yourself on the open nights to make your own mind up.

I went to King Edmunds and that bottle green jumper commands a lot of respect.

Especially in Hockley which we owned.

We live in Eastwood, or at least my wife does. We discounted Eastwood in a nano-second. Both of ours went to Fitzwimarc but Sweyne is equally as good a choice. Don't be put off by the sporty feel of Fitz. Neither of mine are particularly sporty but that wasn't an issue. Of the two my daughter is the academic one. My son wasn't but there were a couple of teachers that saw the strengths he did have (art and construction) and pushed the reticence out of him. That really impressed me. Got friends also from Eastwood that did the Sweyne experience.

At least get yourself on the open nights to make your own mind up.

I think that is good advice, I don't know much about the Rayleigh schools but Fitz has always had a good reputation.

Thanks for the responses all.

I went to SHSG last week and Eastwood last night and you can just tell the difference even in the kids that show you around. Agree you cant read too much into the head's speech, I lost interest in the first 20 seconds when he started bleating on about the meaning of their "ethos" and explaining what Believe and Succeed means. Cheers mate, I went to school once too I can kind of work it out. Sounded like middle management buzz word presentation to be honest. However the exam results speak for themselves and Eastwood do far better than the other schools in the local area, which isnt hard.

I live by the Bell so not sure Rayleigh schools are an option ?

Still begs the question why there arent any decent non-grammar schools in Southend.

Thanks for the responses all.

I went to SHSG last week and Eastwood last night and you can just tell the difference even in the kids that show you around. Agree you cant read too much into the head's speech, I lost interest in the first 20 seconds when he started bleating on about the meaning of their "ethos" and explaining what Believe and Succeed means. Cheers mate, I went to school once too I can kind of work it out. Sounded like middle management buzz word presentation to be honest. However the exam results speak for themselves and Eastwood do far better than the other schools in the local area, which isnt hard.

I live by the Bell so not sure Rayleigh schools are an option ?

Still begs the question why there arent any decent non-grammar schools in Southend.

That's because grammar schools (and the selective system) queer the pitch for the rest of the so-called comprehensive schools in the town.

Lets not hijack the thread into a political debate please guys, I want genuine advice and feedback on my kid's education.....

Having just left school, from people I know and the reputations of schools I'd say the 2 to avoid are Chase and Futures. Obviously, grammar schools are the better schools but not accessible to all, Eastwood is pretty good from what I know, Fitz is also good and Belfairs is improving rapidly.

I did mention Belfairs Academy in my earlier post....have you considered there?

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of an Academy called Belfairs

Em has recently just moved to KES and she loves it there. Mind you, she was at Beauchamps in Wickford so it wasnt too much to compete against. Its got a very good reputation and from what Em has said, the kids are really well behaved, respect their teachers and get on with their work. I could barely believe it when she said this as this didnt really happen at my school when i was a nipper! They seem to link up with Fitz and heard good things about that too. If you want any more info, PM Emu on here or ask some more Q's and ill give her a nudge later!

Back