• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
It’s been an emotional day. Well, it’s been an emotional day for you guys anyway. I spent the morning frantically trying to make Chelsea’s routine victory over Olympiakos sound interesting and I didn’t even know that the new stadium had been approved until Cricko phoned me up and told me. For me then, it’s just been an emotional couple of hours, but that will have to suffice. We’ve secured the future, but at the heavy price of relinquishing our past.

Everyone has a special memory of their first trip to Roots Hall. For me, it’s the smell of fried onions, the astonishing amount of swearing and the gradual realisation that someone was weeing down the terraces behind me. Ah, those halcyon days. It was Saturday, January 19, 1991 and I’ve got the programme here in front of me, previewing the home debut of one Pat Scully. He was an international, I seem to remember singing.

Over the last 17 years, never having lived in Southend, I’ve put in sporadic appearances at the old stadium. I suppose I’m an anti-glory supporter in a way, constantly justifying a love for a struggling team that I have no natural connections with, barring the fact that my West Ham supporting Dad took me there that day instead of Upton Park. But those bad times at Roots Hall, like that god-awful 0-0 draw with Halifax in 2000, have always been neutralised by the good times, like the £2.50 specials in The Fish House or, you know, winning League One.

Oddly, it wasn’t until that wonderful promotion season that I finally began to feel at home at home, if you see what I mean. A chance encounter with Matt the Shrimp on the Rivals network, led me to Shrimperzone and then, almost inevitably, to The Spread Eagle where the circle was complete. I am then, a relative newcomer to the thunderous, but intimate wonder of a proper trip to Roots Hall. Suddenly, a home game wasn’t just 90 minutes of football and a long train journey home. It was leaping onto the platform and heading to the Spread for four rushed pints of beer. It was filthy and slanderous conversation with Cricko and Callan, it was unsuccessfully arguing the fact that night followed day with Yorkshire, it was ’who was the worst player ever to wear the shirt’ with Matt the Shrimp and Uxbridge, it was a short, but lively walk to the stadium, it was spotting your mates in different parts of the stand, it was trying to find somewhere to smoke at half-time, it was dribbling on your jacket while celebrating the last minute winner, it was predicting survival on the way back to The Spread. It was football watched in a way that Premier League supporters with their quiet stands and always-closed-by-the-police pubs have long since forgotten.

Roots Hall was the eye of the storm, the centre of the vortex that kept the chaos swirling. It had the kind of looks that only a mother could love, it smelt a bit funny and there wasn’t always enough room for luxuries like getting both buttocks on the seat, but it was home.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that Southend United had to make this move. If there is to be any future for the club that doesn’t involve annual trips to Underhill and Griffin Park, then we had to make the jump and put down foundations strong enough to support a push for, if not the big time, then at least the medium one. The Shrimpers will never be battling Barcelona and Roma in the Champions League, or even PSV Eindhoven and Anderlecht in the UEFA Cup. This stadium, though, will give us the chance to secure the minimum requirements of all football fans. A decent seat, a decent view, a decent team and the chance of a pint afterwards. I understand all of that, I’ll just…well, I’ll miss the old girl.

Fossett’s Farm looks splendid, but it’s lacking one thing. Do you think they could airlift The Spread Eagle over?

Good article. Sums up being a Southend fan quite nicely.

Will miss the 'down at heel' aspect of the club, and personally I think that's part of the allure.

Being the under-dog. Being the butt of jokes by my Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U supporting fans.

Today's a great day for the club but I hope we don't lose our identity and the my individual sense of belonging.

Iain, absolutely brilliant read, as always, shame I didn't get a mention but never mind.
This will sound the demise of the Spread as I warned the bosses years ago.
When the stadium is built I am pretty sure the regular trade will not make the pub profitable such is the boost on Football days.
Anyone required a part-time Barsteward ? :darkcloud:

Iain, absolutely brilliant read, as always, shame I didn't get a mention but never mind.
When the stadium is built I am pretty sure the regular trade will not make the pub profitable such is the boost on Football days.

Ken, I'm so sorry, I've got you on my notes to mention under smutty jokes at the door! Damnit, sorry, I got on a roll!

I posted this in another thread, what do you think?

Every Supporter, young and old, will miss Roots Hall, It has brought many memories to many supporters, like fantastic cup runs, beating premiership quality teams, back to back promotions and many more. But sometimes in life, we have to move on to better things in order to succeed in their future.
I will miss Roots Hall as much as everyone else will, but we need to move on.

Buy one pint and get 10 free?????

Some of us want to let go of the past.

Especially those that have taken a kicking from Torquay youth.

MENTION just for u---------hows your licker doing!----------

Top post, Iain, and I relate to it well as, like you, I've never lived in the Southend area either. Although I've been a fan all my life (thanks to my dad, who hails from Rayleigh), my appearances at The Hall were very sporadic up until the back end of the Newman era when I finally moved far enough south (Watford, to be precise) to start visiting The Hall regularly. And bloody hell, it wasn't long before I was totally hooked to the matchday experience which, back in those days, usually culminated in a depressing car journey back down the A127 and around the M25 with only Five Live for company.

Part of me is somewhat wary of the move away from Roots Hall. Don't get me wrong, it's totally the right decision and I'm absolutely thrilled by the news, but from a football romanticist's perspective, it will take some getting used to - not least because I've already kind of experienced the change. Back in the early 90s, I grew up in Northampton and often attended games at the ludicrously rickety but downright loveable County Ground with my Cobblers-supporting mates. Despite the awful football on show, they were very enjoyable occasions but after the Cobblers moved to Sixfields, the atmosphere at games became incredibly dull in comparison and these days I rarely take up an invitation to go if I'm ever back in Northampton (I'm there at the moment, actually, but that's another story!).

I'm pretty hopeful, however, that our spanking new ground won't succumb to the soulless lego-feel of Sixfields. And though I'll miss the Hall, particularly the fantastic view from the South Upper, surely the acoustics at the new place will be a massive improvement, to the point where we can at least enjoy outsinging the opposition again.

It's going to be strange but I'm massively confident that the new ground will provide the platform to take us up a level - there's no reason why we can't become established in the Championship in the future with the improved resources the stadium will bring. Today is a very good day to be a Shrimper!

Sadly, with the risk of insolvency in football these days, you feel there's little choice but to move.

I'll miss Roots Hall, I think we all will in different ways, but there's no reason why we can't put our individual club's identity on the new place.

Sadly, with the risk of insolvency in football these days, you feel there's little choice but to move.

I'll miss Roots Hall, I think we all will in different ways, but there's no reason why we can't put our individual club's identity on the new place.

surely the entire north bank can be transferred over there - roof and concrete steps anyway .....(bin the seats)

22,000 all seater for Brighton..!! A league one club in a crappy run down seaside town, with only an outside chance of ever making it back to level 2.. are they on drugs!!! .... er um...

Top post mate ...It does feel very emotional today in two way's....:unsure:

MENTION just for u---------hows your licker doing!----------

Would imagine bars at the new stadium are to be reaping the profits for the club.

Still not a proper P.H. and won't be the same, but compromises in life must be made for the greater good - SUFC [hopefully]

22,000 all seater for Brighton..!! A league one club in a crappy run down seaside town, with only an outside chance of ever making it back to level 2.. are they on drugs!!! .... er um...

Funnily enough thats prob exactly what everyone said about us when we put in plans for ours!!

Back