• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Security weirdness in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I am regularly getting messages from Windows 10 telling me that Windows Defender and Webroot Secure Anywhere (my anti Virus stuff), are turned off. Each message also gives me the option to see what Security stuff I have installed. When I go there both apps are turned on and always have been. Anyone else getting anything like this?

I am regularly getting messages from Windows 10 telling me that Windows Defender and Webroot Secure Anywhere (my anti Virus stuff), are turned off. Each message also gives me the option to see what Security stuff I have installed. When I go there both apps are turned on and always have been. Anyone else getting anything like this?

In Windows 7 I sometimes get the same with Kaspersky, but it usually only lasts a second before the message disappears...

Careful you've not got some malware installed . Install malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.com) and try running that to see if anything nasty is lurking. It's a freebie, even if just for 30 days.

Careful you've not got some malware installed . Install malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.com) and try running that to see if anything nasty is lurking. It's a freebie, even if just for 30 days.

Cheers for that MK, but I've been running the premium version of Malwarebytes for years so it ain't that......or is it? Could be a contention of too much malware software and Windows 10, stranger things have happened. I'll try turning some stuff off and seeing what happens.

Win Defender doesn't like other AV stuff running so that could be the cause of the messages. I had to uninstall Avast because of some conflict, but have to say Win defender/Security essentials seems to do a decent enough job

As has been said Windows Defender (especially on 10) doesn't like any second proprietary AV software running. I have McAfee security suite (Net Protect Plus from BT) installed and I regularly get messages telling me that real time scanning is off when it isn't. I have a friend who runs his own remote IT solution business from home and he tells me Microsoft is having a bit of an 'Apple Syndrome' in as such as they want you to use their built in software only (Defender) and move away from separate stand alone AV installations. It started in 7, got worse with the 8.1 update and is now a real annoyance for many in 10.

His advice.......live with it or just use the OS built in system only :hilarious: Turning Defender off can cause more notifications/problems than you'd imagine, especially with any future OS 10 automatic security updates.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wasn't really expecting any custom made solutions so I'm not at all disappointed. I thought about googling the issue but I tire of finding 10,000 people with the same issue and no bugger with a solution. It is probably contention between my proprietary security s/w and Microsoft's offerings under Windows 10 and I'll live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back