• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

LionLion

So what happened then.... You thrash us 4-1 and absolutely play us off the park but you couldn't beat Burton Albion!

Best of luck next season, I am putting money on you winning League Two.

So what happened then.... You thrash us 4-1 and absolutely play us off the park but you couldn't beat Burton Albion!

Just another day in the adventure that is Southend United! We are used to winning those we aren't favourites to win, and losing those we should be winning!

Unfortunately we were unable to manufacture a floodlight failure & have a bit of a rest half way through the first half.
Good run in from you lot - well done for hanging in there - the big lad up top put himself about a bit.
I think we can realistically hope to go straight up next year but this league can be so unpredictable you daren't start to get too optimistic. Hopefully we'll get a few decent signings to help us along.
Cheers - may well see you lot at RH in a pre season.

As above..........playing better quality teams off the park one week and losing to Torquay the next........the inconsistencies of League Two football. With a small squad, injuries and heavy pitches took their toll. Some would even claim that it was the distraction of a Cup run which led to our poor run of form..............hang on a minute!.........YOU'RE responsible for us not going up this year!!!:winking:
On reflection it would seem as though we did you a service in January, at that time you looked odds on for relegation. Would have happily taken the 4-1 humiliation ourselves, if the end of season had ended differently......i.e. with promotion.

With the addition of a prolific striker we can certainly win L2 next season if this talented squad is kept together. THAT however is my biggest worry, I'd be shocked if the likes of Leonard, Bentley, Coker, Egan & Sokolik don't attract interest from the Championship. The chances of signing the latter two permanently now are very slim. :'(

Also after we played you, We then went on a run of games where we won 1out of the next 13. The one game we won of course, The league winner Chesterfield. That's how we do it down here

To be fair we beat them twice in the league.

Our record against Burton was:

P 4
W 2
D 1
L 1
F 4
A 3

Unfortunately the draw and loss were in the playoffs.

Annoyingly it was even more gutting against Crewe 2 seasons ago:

P 4
W 2
D 1
L 1
F 6
A 4

P 4
W 2
D 1
L 1
F 4
A 3

P 4
W 2
D 1
L 1
F 6
A 4

I found the Burton play-off defeat more gutting than Crewe as in 2012 we were beaten by a very good footballing side.

P 4
W 2
D 1
L 1
F 4
A 3

P 4
W 2
D 1
L 1
F 6
A 4

I had noticed those remarkable similarities. I don't remember the defeat against Crewe being as painful and depressing as the one against Burton. The coming back into the tie on Saturday and then losing was/is the most difficult thing to deal with..............we never actually levelled the Crewe tie. It was also the realisation, against Crewe, that we had been beaten by a better footballing side.

I think to be fair, that Neil Harris obviously duped you all into allowing us thrash you, thereby giving his beloved Blues a place in the next round!!! :winking:

I had noticed those remarkable similarities. I don't remember the defeat against Crewe being as painful and depressing as the one against Burton. The coming back into the tie on Saturday and then losing was/is the most difficult thing to deal with..............we never actually levelled the Crewe tie. It was also the realisation, against Crewe, that we had been beaten by a better footballing side.

When I said Crewe was more gutting I was referring to our record against them that season. I agree that the loss to Burton is harder to take. Crewe were the better team, and beat us by playing football very well. Burton beat us by being lucky when it counted, and playing the referee very well.

Agreed, and they (Crewe) didn't feel the need to timewaste at every given opportunity.

That's because Crewe were a 'footballing' side and didn't need to, unlike Burton. Whether I like it or not, Burton's antics on the time wasting front contributed to their eventual success, together with couple of forwards who had a better eye for goal than our chaps unfortunately.

Back