• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Self driving cars

MK Shrimper

Striker
Now, it's not inconceivable that in 10 years they'll be everywhere - however I still am a bit nervous about hurtling along the M1 at 70mph, trusting a computer to get me to my destination in one piece. Call me a dinosaur, but I'd rather trust the destiny of me and mine to my arms, legs and eyes.

Thoughts?

Now, it's not inconceivable that in 10 years they'll be everywhere - however I still am a bit nervous about hurtling along the M1 at 70mph, trusting a computer to get me to my destination in one piece. Call me a dinosaur, but I'd rather trust the destiny of me and mine to my arms, legs and eyes.

Thoughts?

In 10 years time the technology would have improved exponentially. I think we should re-assess then.

Why would anyone buy one let alone be driven by one!

Mad science.

Indeed. On another note, does this mean you'll be able to get legally wonkered "behind" the wheel in 2026?

Ha! Saw someone being interviewed about that on the box recently and apparently they haven't though through the legislation on that one yet.

I'm sure they'll get round to it before launch date though.:sad:

Ha! Saw someone being interviewed about that on the box recently and apparently they haven't though through the legislation on that one yet.

I'm sure they'll get round to it before launch date though.:sad:

I guess if you can take over the control of the car, then that'd be a no no.

Commercial air travel's hugely computerised now anyway, is it not? Find it difficult to understand how people are comfortable with computer systems managing their travel 40,000ft in the air at 500mph, but not on the ground at 50mph.

Commercial air travel's hugely computerised now anyway, is it not? Find it difficult to understand how people are comfortable with computer systems managing their travel 40,000ft in the air at 500mph, but not on the ground at 50mph.

Whenever i have flown,never encountered roundabouts,junctions,traffic lights,speed motorists,drunk drivers,lorries up your chuff in pouring rain,stolen cars,to name just a few.

I'm guessing the makers of sports / supercars are not going to be too happy at having government set speed limits in the cars and therefore will push for an override on them. If cars are driving automatically and some coked up city boy swerves in front, is the car going to anticipate the ******** driving like a nob 200 yards behind and taking appropriate action?

I'd be shatting myself every time I let the car drive me while I just put my faith in it.

Airbus 380's don't have to give way at T junctions

No, but they have to fly holding patterns, and follow radio navigation aids en route whilst avoiding other aircraft. They also have to be able to track an instrument landing system, and (if the plane is being flown manually) warn the pilot when it all goes pear shaped. So even when they're not being used, they still have to stay awake.

They're completely different technologies, and I would argue have nothing to do with one another. However, the principle that ESB alluded to is interesting. Why would you happily get on a plane that is mostly flown by a computer, but not in a car that may be the same?

No, but they have to fly holding patterns, and follow radio navigation aids en route whilst avoiding other aircraft. They also have to be able to track an instrument landing system, and (if the plane is being flown manually) warn the pilot when it all goes pear shaped. So even when they're not being used, they still have to stay awake.

They're completely different technologies, and I would argue have nothing to do with one another. However, the principle that ESB alluded to is interesting. Why would you happily get on a plane that is mostly flown by a computer, but not in a car that may be the same?

In this country there are around 25/30 million cars/lorries/buses/vans,very crowded indeed.

One of the lads at work bought a brand new VW Tiguan with that self park magic. Very impressive but will it get to a point when in your driving test the examiner says, "now press the park button please on the car" and that's your parallel park done? Never been a fan of parking assist things but we live in a different era now where we are lazy and want technology to do everything for us.

It's amazing to see the developments, I won't be purchasing one. Give me gears and full control and I'm happy.

To be honest, would anyone get on a plane if there wasn't a pilot in the pointy bit at the front ?

Most people think that the pilot still flies the plane , and given that pilot error is often a reason given for a plane when it suddenly stops flying , they have a case.

To be honest, would anyone get on a plane if there wasn't a pilot in the pointy bit at the front ?

Most people think that the pilot still flies the plane , and given that pilot error is often a reason given for a plane when it suddenly stops flying , they have a case.

Probably not, but that's no different from you sitting in the car ready to take control when you need to. We're all turning into systems analysts.

You're not trusting your destiny to your arms, legs and eyes. Your trusting your destiny to other people's arms, legs and eyes.

Now that really is scary.

Whenever i have flown,never encountered roundabouts,junctions,traffic lights,speed motorists,drunk drivers,lorries up your chuff in pouring rain,stolen cars,to name just a few.

Just the inevitability of immediate death if aforementioned systems were to totally fail then?

Back