• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Selling a parent's house

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Hi folks, after a bit of a wait my mum has been offered a flat in an assisted living place in Rayleigh, however this leaves me with the task of helping her move and selling her house. Which as I rent isn't something I've ever had to do before, and to be honest I'm not sure where to start.
The place she's moving to is social Renting, and her rent will be covered while her house is sold (the house has to be on the market for this to happen). This is complicated by the fact that under my parent's divorce agreement my Dad will receive a % of the house, however he died 3 years ago so I believe half of this % will go to me and the other half to his widow.

My mum will able to move in to the flat in mid-October so I need to get cracking on this stuff, should my first port of call be a solicitor before the estate agent?

Find a good solicitor - whatever you do don't use whatever solicitor the estate agent pushes you too as there's normally a kickback involved for the agent and some agents use a solicitor that is basically a call centre type and they're fecking useless. Ask friends/family or the Zone collective for referrals for a decent one. But in the mean time get a couple of agents round to value it and then haggle on the percentage they want to charge.

Would it be worth talking to a tax advisor too for inheritance tax reasons? Depends on how old your mum is I guess

Good point Pubey. Isn't inheritance tax payable on an estate of over £330,000 or so?

Good point Pubey. Isn't inheritance tax payable on an estate of over £330,000 or so?

But if the house is moved to a child as a gift more than 7 years before they die then I think you can avoid it. Might be worth thinking about.

Harvey Coppin & Harrison in Wickford are a very good solicitor who I used when I sold our place. Wont pull your pants down with the fee either.

Like ACU said, talk to fbm, he'd also be able to advise you as to a recommend place to look for tax advice

Don't pay more than 1.5% to the estate agent - think we paid 1.1% when selling our last house. They all talk up what they will do to sell the house, but ultimately they put it on the internet, sit back and wait for the calls.

Its all depends on what is more important to you and how confident you feel.

You don't need a high street estate agent (there are internet companies that will send someone round to value your house, photos etc, put adds on rightmove etc and field calls/organize visits) for a fraction of what a High street agent will charge. You can buy 'how to sell a house' packs on the internet which explain the procedure and tell you what needs to be done . The buyers solicitor may be a little snotty. Some spolicotrs are great and understand that this is the biggest thing going on in your life and treat it accordingly, others treat it (understandingly) as just a normal job - which you may find annoying.

I found a cheap solicitor (get a fixed cost !) on the net and chased up and down the chain and made a general nuisance of myself . I did not make myself popular with the four solicitors in the chain, or my seller but I knocked an absolute minimum of month of the process, plus it would have fell through 24 hours before the move if I was not involved. Next time I will use an internet estate agent.

Inhertiance tax- it is well worth speaking to someone to understand full what happens with regard to divorce situations , mental capacity and setting up Trusts. IMO having an expert explain this is money well spent

You can always speak to number11 on here. His firm are very reputable and I have had a few clients use them and all have seemed happy.

FBM is great for Wills and Trusts. Did some stuff for my Uncle I believe.

Correct order as said by others is estate agent then solicitor for my mind. Don't know any estate agents I can recommend sadly.

Good luck

Google cheap solicitors, I've used Lambert Pugh.
Also used an internet estate agent, upfront £500 fee, you have to show people round yourself but no real difference to a high street agent, though you lose the fee if you don't sell.
Use a local estate agent if you want to use one, you can let them show people round.
Previous answers are correct, don't pay much more than 1% to an agent, or if it's a really sellable house try and get a fixed fee even less than 1%.
And don't take the solicitor recommended by the agent as per previous answer - it's a bung job!

Cheers Dave,

Drastic, I will pm you my number if you did want any help.

Regards Mark.

You can always speak to number11 on here. His firm are very reputable and I have had a few clients use them and all have seemed happy.

FBM is great for Wills and Trusts. Did some stuff for my Uncle I believe.

Correct order as said by others is estate agent then solicitor for my mind. Don't know any estate agents I can recommend sadly.

Good luck

I have to chuckle at some of the responses here, our industry (yes I am estate agent!) doesn’t have the best reputation.

However, for the sake of balance, as an estate agent I would never sell through a cheap internet firm. On the three occasions I have sold properties personally, I have always used a High Street Agent. In fairness, being in the industry, I know which agents work harder to sell properties (and subsequently avoid the ‘lazy’ and ‘numbers game’ estate agents).

Why is it better to use a good High Street Agent:

A High Street Agent will have a database of people already looking for property in your area. The internet firms are likely the get these enquiries too (eventually) but in dribs & drabs over the length of your contract. By going to a High Street Agent you will get more viewings (particularly at the start), more viewings = more side-by-side viewings = more urgency from buyers = better offers.

How to make the process as smooth as possible:

Don’t pick an agent by the number of sold boards you see: Rogue agents leave boards up for longer than they’re supposed to. ‘Numbers game’ agents may have many sold boards, but an even higher number of for sale boards. The best test of an agents ability is their for sale/sold RATIO. This can be checked by downloading the PropertyBee software.

Don’t sign for too long: A good agent will offer a shorter tie-in. So many people regret their choice of estate agent but are then trapped (in some cases for 20 weeks). Signing for too long results in complacency and a better chance of getting a reactionary agent (as somebody here suggested). Longer contracts also result in overpricing, once the client has signed, the rogue agent tells them the price is too high and they should lower the asking price (when often, it was their very asking price which won them the business). 8 week contracts are fair and reasonable.

Get 3 valuations: Launch the property at the middle price. The highest valuation is nearly always too high, the easiest way for an agent to get instructed, is to tell the client what they want to hear. It is usually the weakest agent that will give you the biggest valuation (they are trying to compensate for their lack of ability). It has been proven that it is often the lowest price that is correct (agents won’t want to under price your property, as they won’t get the business in the first place). This being said, I would launch at the middle price (as this takes account for occasional human error).

Mix ‘n’ match: Nothing stops you using which agent you want at which price you want to try.

Negotiating the right fee: I am a big fan of sliding scales, reward an agent for achieving a premium, penalise them for not living up to their part of the bargain.

Apply common sense: If you have lots of interest in the first few weeks (including 3 offers or more) insist on going to sealed bids. This process often results in achieving in selling for a fantastic price. If you have 20 viewings and no offers, the price is too high. If you have no viewings at all (unless you are selling a niche-market property) the price is WAY too high (although in December you wouldn’t expect many viewings).

Surname Firms v Brand Name Firms: Invariably, surname firms provide a better service. You get ownership from someone who has put their name to a brand. Rogue agents will often hide behind the brand name.

Photos: Check which agents have better presentation (this is particularly valid when two agents are marketing the same property).

If the first estate agent isn’t successful, don’t make the mistake of changing to the agent that pestered you the most. ‘Numbers game’ estate agents spend more time trying to steal from their rivals than they do trying to sell what they’ve got!! Pestered = contact more than once a month.

Launch time: Now or early next year. October is a decent month, November is transitional, December is awful. Just after the snow clears is a great time to list as there is little competition but plenty of buyers. Many agents over-price a little at the start of a year (to try and rebuild their depleted stock). You can ask a bit of a premium and yet still look good value compared to the super greedy people. Many of these people realise they have been mislead come March-time, but it gives you a window of opportunity in January/February.

No, I’m not after the business, my company trades in Surrey; I was just keen help you avoid some of the pitfalls.

As for your situation, yes, speak to a solicitor first. No doubt they will have an estate agent they recommend. If you ask the estate agent whether they have a solicitor they can recommend (and the firms match) then you can take these recommendations with a pinch of salt (as business is clearly passed between them). However, if you find solicitors that don’t get work from an estate agent and are recommending them anyway, then you have found your agent. Solicitors and estate agents have to liaise regularly; solicitors are in a better position to know the difference.

Sorry for rambling, but I work very hard in my profession (there will be others like me!) Maybe take a drive down the High Street and see what time the Estate Agents close. If you see someone beavering away gone 8pm, then you have found your Essex equivalent!

Good luck with it.

I have to chuckle at some of the responses here, our industry (yes I am estate agent!) doesn’t have the best reputation.

However, for the sake of balance, as an estate agent I would never sell through a cheap internet firm. On the three occasions I have sold properties personally, I have always used a High Street Agent. In fairness, being in the industry, I know which agents work harder to sell properties (and subsequently avoid the ‘lazy’ and ‘numbers game’ estate agents).

Why is it better to use a good High Street Agent:

A High Street Agent will have a database of people already looking for property in your area. The internet firms are likely the get these enquiries too (eventually) but in dribs & drabs over the length of your contract. By going to a High Street Agent you will get more viewings (particularly at the start), more viewings = more side-by-side viewings = more urgency from buyers = better offers.

How to make the process as smooth as possible:

Don’t pick an agent by the number of sold boards you see: Rogue agents leave boards up for longer than they’re supposed to. ‘Numbers game’ agents may have many sold boards, but an even higher number of for sale boards. The best test of an agents ability is their for sale/sold RATIO. This can be checked by downloading the PropertyBee software.

Don’t sign for too long: A good agent will offer a shorter tie-in. So many people regret their choice of estate agent but are then trapped (in some cases for 20 weeks). Signing for too long results in complacency and a better chance of getting a reactionary agent (as somebody here suggested). Longer contracts also result in overpricing, once the client has signed, the rogue agent tells them the price is too high and they should lower the asking price (when often, it was their very asking price which won them the business). 8 week contracts are fair and reasonable.

Get 3 valuations: Launch the property at the middle price. The highest valuation is nearly always too high, the easiest way for an agent to get instructed, is to tell the client what they want to hear. It is usually the weakest agent that will give you the biggest valuation (they are trying to compensate for their lack of ability). It has been proven that it is often the lowest price that is correct (agents won’t want to under price your property, as they won’t get the business in the first place). This being said, I would launch at the middle price (as this takes account for occasional human error).

Mix ‘n’ match: Nothing stops you using which agent you want at which price you want to try.

Negotiating the right fee: I am a big fan of sliding scales, reward an agent for achieving a premium, penalise them for not living up to their part of the bargain.

Apply common sense: If you have lots of interest in the first few weeks (including 3 offers or more) insist on going to sealed bids. This process often results in achieving in selling for a fantastic price. If you have 20 viewings and no offers, the price is too high. If you have no viewings at all (unless you are selling a niche-market property) the price is WAY too high (although in December you wouldn’t expect many viewings).

Surname Firms v Brand Name Firms: Invariably, surname firms provide a better service. You get ownership from someone who has put their name to a brand. Rogue agents will often hide behind the brand name.

Photos: Check which agents have better presentation (this is particularly valid when two agents are marketing the same property).

If the first estate agent isn’t successful, don’t make the mistake of changing to the agent that pestered you the most. ‘Numbers game’ estate agents spend more time trying to steal from their rivals than they do trying to sell what they’ve got!! Pestered = contact more than once a month.

Launch time: Now or early next year. October is a decent month, November is transitional, December is awful. Just after the snow clears is a great time to list as there is little competition but plenty of buyers. Many agents over-price a little at the start of a year (to try and rebuild their depleted stock). You can ask a bit of a premium and yet still look good value compared to the super greedy people. Many of these people realise they have been mislead come March-time, but it gives you a window of opportunity in January/February.

No, I’m not after the business, my company trades in Surrey; I was just keen help you avoid some of the pitfalls.

As for your situation, yes, speak to a solicitor first. No doubt they will have an estate agent they recommend. If you ask the estate agent whether they have a solicitor they can recommend (and the firms match) then you can take these recommendations with a pinch of salt (as business is clearly passed between them). However, if you find solicitors that don’t get work from an estate agent and are recommending them anyway, then you have found your agent. Solicitors and estate agents have to liaise regularly; solicitors are in a better position to know the difference.

Sorry for rambling, but I work very hard in my profession (there will be others like me!) Maybe take a drive down the High Street and see what time the Estate Agents close. If you see someone beavering away gone 8pm, then you have found your Essex equivalent!

Good luck with it.

I have just sold our house to a person who offered the full asking price at a 10am viewing on the first day the house went in the market and believe it or not we didn't even get another person ask to view.

Does this sound a bit suspicious?

Back