• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Setting up a basic home network

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
I am looking to set up a home wireless network. I have brought a wireless printer, a router that has a wireless adapter dongle thing and next month will be getting a new laptop.

I currently have a little box called a speedtouch provided by Toucan (Pipex) it has to outlets, one to the incoming phone connection and one that goes in to the PC via a USB.

Can I do away with the "Speedtouch" box and just use the router and the wireless adapter dongle thing??

Yes AS you can. Run an ethernet cable from your phone socket (via a signal separator, which basically separates your broadband and phone signals) to your new router. Somewhere within the gumpth that came with the router will be the 'wireless key'. You'll need this when setting up the wireless network in order for the peripherals to communicate with the net via the wireless dongle. You have two choices when it comes to how the initial set up on the laptop is handled. You can either have Windows handle the communication or you can install the software that came with the router and use that. I find that Windows is perfectly OK for this, unless of coarse you want to delve deeper into the options of the router, in which case you'll need the router software installed. Once the key has been set, especially on the new laptop, it needs to be done only once and association from then on is automatic. By default the 'Wireless' option on a new laptop is set to off so you'll have to first turn it on for it to search for new wireless networks within range. To do this you'll have a couple of shortcut keys on the keyboard, usually the 'FN' key and one with the wireless symbol. Either use these or go to Start> Connect To> Show All Connections and enable the wireless connection from there.

Phil

New laptop should have wireless 'built-in' to it, so there should be no need for the Wireless Adapter Dongle (thingy), so stick it in the cupboard with the speedtouch.

If the new laptop doesn't come with a free Windows 7 upgrade voucher, then personally I'd wait till the release of Windows 7.

New laptop should have wireless 'built-in' to it, so there should be no need for the Wireless Adapter Dongle (thingy), so stick it in the cupboard with the speedtouch.

If the new laptop doesn't come with a free Windows 7 upgrade voucher, then personally I'd wait till the release of Windows 7.

And then have no end of trouble while all the bugs are ironed out and the inevitable security holes are closed by no end of patch releases..........just like Vista ;)

But don't i need a wireless adapter to connect to my PC which has the network set up on it?

I have been trying this morning to get it to work with no success at all.

Yes AS you can. Run an ethernet cable from your phone socket (via a signal separator, which basically separates your broadband and phone signals) to your new router. Somewhere within the gumpth that came with the router will be the 'wireless key'. You'll need this when setting up the wireless network in order for the peripherals to communicate with the net via the wireless dongle. You have two choices when it comes to how the initial set up on the laptop is handled. You can either have Windows handle the communication or you can install the software that came with the router and use that. I find that Windows is perfectly OK for this, unless of coarse you want to delve deeper into the options of the router, in which case you'll need the router software installed. Once the key has been set, especially on the new laptop, it needs to be done only once and association from then on is automatic. By default the 'Wireless' option on a new laptop is set to off so you'll have to first turn it on for it to search for new wireless networks within range. To do this you'll have a couple of shortcut keys on the keyboard, usually the 'FN' key and one with the wireless symbol. Either use these or go to Start> Connect To> Show All Connections and enable the wireless connection from there.

Phil

So far, got the router connected up to the socket on the wall, plugged in the dongle to the PC, installed software. Have tried to set up the network a few times, but not sure what the hell I am doing.

But don't i need a wireless adapter to connect to my PC which has the network set up on it?

I have been trying this morning to get it to work with no success at all.

You will need the dongle if your current PC does not have wireless capability. Its likely tho that a brand new lappy would have built in wireless so there would be no need for the dongle on that.

If its a new router maybe you should make sure your router is logged onto your ISP by using a cable from pc to router. Then setup your wireless afterwards having disconnected the cable.

So far, got the router connected up to the socket on the wall, plugged in the dongle to the PC, installed software. Have tried to set up the network a few times, but not sure what the hell I am doing.

Firstly, have you enabled 'wireless network connection' on the PC? If not go to Start > Connect To > Show All Connections. Then right click on the 'Wireless Network Connection' and click 'Enable'.

This should bring up a small TV icon in the bottom right of your screen (Windows will automatically search for networks) and a dialogue box should pop up stating that certain wireless networks are within range. Double click the message and a list of networks and routers should show. Click the one that corresponds to your router to expand it and click 'connect'. It will try to connect but fail, it should then ask you for the network key (which you should have got with the paperwork for the router) Type in the network key and wait for Windows to assign all the parameters it needs, ie IP address, DNS Server settings etc.

Hope this helps

Phil

Thanks for all the help chaps, I seem to have it working ok now, my mobile links up to the wireless network and so does the printer and my new notebook that i brought this afternoon.

Dan of the match..........many greens coming your way mate.

Hold on a tick, that's assuming it's a combined router modem, not just a plain old router. If it doesn't have the built in modem then the old one will still be needed.

It must have a built in modem because I unplugged the old modem and now am sitting in bed on me new notebook via the wireless network.

Last edited:
Back