• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
This film due for general release in January looks like it could be pretty good. Despite not actually being born in Essex, Ian Dury wrote a few songs about some colourful characters from our home county and it's clear that he loved the place despite contracting polio in Southend ...

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll
The colourful and fantastical story of Ian Dury, one of England’s most original and influential singer-songwriters of the last thirty years. Crippled by polio as a ten year-old boy and told he would amount to nothing, Dury’s dogged determination, perseverance and wit led to him becoming one of the founders of the punk movement in the 1970s.

There ain't 'arf been some clever b@st@rds...

This film finally made it way out West this week-end and I thought it was rather good. I liked the music hall intro - especially with its Southend feature - and the stylised underwater theming, with its reminders of how polio is contracted and of the 'good swimmer' that Ian used to be before that fateful trip to Southend. The insights into Ian's 'hard knocks' upbringing at Chailey provided grim reminders of our institutions of yesteryear and showed how much of that experience he took into his abrasive dealings with others on the way up with the Kilburns and then the Blockheads. It showed what a key influence Chaz Jankel was and how Ian's music suffered without him on board. Great performances by Serkis, Ray Winstone - as Ian's dad - and the lad who played Ian's son, Baxter. It was rough and ready, but with hints of tenderness too - a bit like Ian.

Last edited:
Great performances by Serkis, Ray Winstone - as Ian's dad - and the lad who played Ian's son, Baxter. It was rough and ready, but with hints of tenderness too - a bit like Ian.

Interesting that the film (which hasn't hit these shore yet)apparently plays up Ray Winstone's role as ID's Dad whereas according to the Will Birch biography it was very much his mother and an auntie who were the most important family figures in his life.

Interesting that the film (which hasn't hit these shore yet)apparently plays up Ray Winstone's role as ID's Dad whereas according to the Will Birch biography it was very much his mother and an auntie who were the most important family figures in his life.

Yet to see it, but his Dad wasnt exactly a influential figure, whatever source you read. One of his tutors took a more fatherly role. He did I think make it up with his father later on though.

Ive seen Ian Dury with the Blockheads live - what an experience! Ive also seen the Blockheads twice, once with Phil Jupitus (and Wee Willie Harris, which was cool), and once with Ritchie from 5, which didnt really work. Im also an honorary Blockhead, which means I've got a special badge which allows me backstage - not used it yet alas.

Yes, that's what Ian himself said in an excellent documentary made about him in 1999. I think the film is trying to make a point about 'estranged' fatherhood though it seems that Ian developed a good relationship with Baxter. Just as an aside on this, 'My Old Man' is probably my favourite song of his.

Rob, this is not about Ian Dury but Dr Feelgood. Perhaps you have already about this ....
..............if not, it will certainly interest you.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/loc..._gets_first_screening_in_Southend_and_Canvey/

Thanks, Julian - surprised to see the modern 'fakes' there with Sparko, but yes, I have been celebrating this film for a wee while on here. In fact, I wrote a little something for you in this thread too...

www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54097&referrerid=3694

Back