• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Back on Thread, Football banter is just that "football banter".. nothing more, nothing less, as long as it isnt aimed towards a particular individual or player, i see nothing wrong with it as long as it isnt overly offensive. It was alot worse in the 70's & 80's (not saying we need to go back to that).

But thats be honest, week in, week out, Brighton get the "gay" jibes.. Spurs get the Jewish thing... We get the "Essex girl" chants".. Millwall get the benefits jibe... Col Utd get the imbred caravan Gypsies... Liverpool get the stealing etc... I could go on forever!!... Im not saying it's right, but its about rivarly and passion for your team.

I would'nt say chanting about "downing a german bomber" was overly offensive (besides, its not a southend song, just an England national song)... added to that it was over 70 years ago! To almost prove a personal point, I took my (ex) mrs to an england game twice at wembley V Germany, and on the tube towards the stadium, the England youth got on and sang that exact song,... was she offended no? She also took it in good humour & loved the banter.

Although I did have to hear about Shumacher & Vettel most weekends when they were in their prime (not to mention the 2010 world cup).:thumbdown::thumbdown: .... Oddly we went our seperate ways after that!! :smile:

On a similar note (other WW2 related comments), talking of Southend & German bombers in WW2,.... I do believe Southend Airport (then RAF Rochford) made WW2 history for shooting down the 1st enemy Fighter/bomber at night over britain.

Haha haven't posted in a while but what a pathetic post was a great atmosphere one if best been to in a while and this contributed to it was with a mate who doesn't go much and he said thought it was brilliant.

I was at the game with my 9 German friends who are ell ex pat Nazis hiding out in Columbia. And I can honestly say that none of them took offense to the chants

I was at the game with my 9 German friends who are ell ex pat Nazis hiding out in Columbia. And I can honestly say that none of them took offense to the chants

What happened to the tenth, hope he wasn't shot down.

Back