• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mr_Shrimp

I've not seen anyone else mention this, so I felt the need to post...

We arrived at Bramall Lane to be greeted by a worryingly large number of blues 'supporters' chanting racist nonsense about shooting German bombers down. (This was a large, vocal group collected around the bars inside the ground before kick off.) Did anyone else see this? Absolutely disgusting!

I'm a life long supporter who follows home and away. It's very concerning to see this kind of thing creeping in. (We witnessed a similar thing at Luton last season). Anymore of this and I will be staying away in future.

It's not just banter... it is racist, hostile behaviour which is totally unacceptable!

Welcome to the zone. Shame you had to witness chants of this nature, I can't comment because I didn't go as was working
(would love to have though as it's a venue on my list)

I hope your future contributions to the site are of a less worrying topic.

UTB

We arrived at Bramall Lane to be greeted by a worryingly large number of blues 'supporters' chanting racist nonsense about shooting German bombers down. (This was a large, vocal group collected around the bars inside the ground before kick off.) Did anyone else see this? Absolutely disgusting!

I'm a life long supporter who follows home and away. It's very concerning to see this kind of thing creeping in. (We witnessed a similar thing at Luton last season). Anymore of this and I will be staying away in future.

It's not just banter... it is racist, hostile behaviour which is totally unacceptable!

I've heard this bile from West Ham fans before but never from our own, needs to be stamped out, totally unacceptable IMO.

I was there and yes I walked into the Bar area just as these chants were finishing.

two things I was surprised about yesterday

1/ The sheer number of Blues fans that elected to travel - I'm a Sheffield based Southend fan I was really quite surprised just how many fans we bought 1060 - it actually had a big game feel to it. I've been to BL a few times in the away end with Wednesday fans and the atmosphere was very good yesterday - if perhaps a little inappropriate at times!

2/ Along with the numbers I was also taken aback (a little) at just how boisterous we all were, I often see SUFC at away Northern games - SWFC, Chesterfield, Rotherham, Barnsley etc and I have never known us to be as vocal as we were. From my perspectve that's great but probably best not to chant about German Bombers etc.

I was at our woeful performance at Chesterfield the other week where we took 242 on a cold Tuesday night so it does appear we are traveling in better numbers these days.

On the whole thought it was a great day out, everyone seemed to behave and enjoy themselves and nice to be with my own tribe!

Totally agree with you Mr Shrimp. I found the atmosphere created by this chant intimidating and frankly very disturbing. Surely on this weekend of all weekends we need European sensitivity and solidarity.

I heard the chants and just cringed to be honest. Pretty embarrassing.

However is the chant 'racist' in itself? Am I missing something?

I also saw these lads have a bit of a scrap with some Sheffield United fans just outside the ground after the game. Nothing major, maybe 5 people involved and was broke up pretty swiftly - did anyone else see that?

Perhaps these "fans" would have been better off attending the Britain First conference , which was being held in a Telephone box somewhere in Sheffield. Although quite how chanting about the defeat of a far right ideal would have gone down with a bunch of far right idealists it open to conjecture.

I don't find it racist and nor did my half German friend who was with us on his first Shrimpers away day. In fact he was very impressed with our support.....Any more of this and he will be coming again.

I was there in the stand with the other 1000+ and witnessed the minutes silence where the only sound you could here was the persistent rain on the stand roof.
I never heard any inappropriate chanting and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of the usual dozen or so morons that usually group at the back of the stands and try and wind up stewards.
I notice the original poster is new here, and suspect this is a wind up.
The singing after Lenny and Paynes goals was as good as any I have heard from our fans in a long while.
The electronic screen was constantly advertising the cut it out anti racism issue and it would have been easy enough to alert stewards to the perceived problem.

I was there in the stand with the other 1000+ and witnessed the minutes silence where the only sound you could here was the persistent rain on the stand roof.
I never heard any inappropriate chanting and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of the usual dozen or so morons that usually group at the back of the stands and try and wind up stewards.
I notice the original poster is new here, and suspect this is a wind up.
The singing after Lenny and Paynes goals was as good as any I have heard from our fans in a long while.
The electronic screen was constantly advertising the cut it out anti racism issue and it would have been easy enough to alert stewards to the perceived problem.

Its not, theres a video on twitter of the chant.

How is this chant in any way racist? It's a chant about the RAF shooting down German Bombers in the Second World War, who in their right mind would be offended by that and define it as racist? It's often sung at England away games, especially when we play Germany and i've never heard anyone complain about it being racist.

It was also sung at the JPT game on Wednesday (And strangely at Brentford away a few a seasons ago if i remember correctly). I agree it was perhaps unecessary and irrelevant to sing it yesterday but I'm at a complete loss as to how it's racist.

If you're thinking about not attending future games because of an anti Nazi-Germany chant then you need to re-evaluate how much of a fan you are and perhaps need to stop being so easily offended.

How is this chant in any way racist? It's a chant about the RAF shooting down German Bombers in the Second World War, who in their right mind would be offended by that and find it as racist? It's often sung at England away games, especially when we play German and i've never heard anyone complain about it being racist.

It was also sung at the JPT game at Wednesday. I agree it was perhaps unecessary and irrelevant to sign it yesterday but I'm at a complete loss as to how it's racist.

Tut tut, surely signing chants for the benefit of other fans who are deaf/hearing challenged is inclusive behaviour and not divisive?:winking:

I was there, and confess I never heard anything racist, which the German bomber song is not. The atmosphere in the ground before and during the game was rocking at times. I was there with friends and my 11 year old son and we all had a great day.

How is this chant in any way racist? It's a chant about the RAF shooting down German Bombers in the Second World War, who in their right mind would be offended by that and define it as racist? It's often sung at England away games, especially when we play Germany and i've never heard anyone complain about it being racist.

It was also sung at the JPT game on Wednesday (And strangely at Brentford away a few a seasons ago if i remember correctly). I agree it was perhaps unecessary and irrelevant to sing it yesterday but I'm at a complete loss as to how it's racist.

If you're thinking about not attending future games because of an anti Nazi-Germany chant then you need to re-evaluate how much of a fan you are and perhaps need to stop being so easily offended.
That was a chant against Uwe Rosler if memory serves me correct, think he made some disparaging comments about us before the game. I didn't really like the chant and didn't join in then, but I think that was the context.

The German bombers is an old English chant and has been sung for years by English fans around the country - more so during international games

if you're offended by such a chant as the RAF shooting down German bombers (check your ww2 text book from year 8 history), then you must go through life offended by the smallest of things.

i sometimes wonder why I bother posting on here, it's embarrassing

Silly question, but why is it being sung at all?

It's hardly topical or relevant to Sheffield. :unsure:

Was at Bradford away a few seasons ago, and an entire family started hurling severe racial abuse at all an sundry.

Then went to Brentford away in the cup, where Smith showed the best goal keeping display I've ever seen, and the same folk started the German Bombers chant.

Both incidents were so embarrassing.

Problem is said people where offering violence a plenty to the stewards, god knows what they would have done if one our own had intervened.

Next time I'll take some piccies, or better still a video.

Back