• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beefy

Life President
Shamrock Rovers and fan ownership

I recently attended my first Shamrock Rovers match. Rovers, seven or eight years ago were in a similar position to where we are. They had no ground, no assets and they owed a huge amount of money to the tax man and various other creditors.

400 supporters came together in November 2002 to form the Shamrock Rovers Members Club with the specific intention to raise money to facilitate a mortgage application on the site of their proposed new ground. Following the Club's entrance into Examinership - essentially the Irish version of Administration although slightly different to how we understand it - the 400 Club (as the members club had become known) bought the football club and saved it from extinction.

The first season after the purchase, Rovers (managed by Pat Scully) were promoted back to the top-flight of Irish football. Their ownership has also seen the Club finally move into it's new stadium at Tallaght and the Club has re-established itself in domestic and European competition.

Annoyingly, the guy I work with who was a founder member of the 400 Club has gone on holiday today for two weeks. I'm trying to get hold of him to talk it through but from what I understand the logistics work that each member pays €50 per month by Direct Debit. For that you get your season ticket, your part-ownership of the Club and various benefits such as discounts at local shops, etc.

I don't think that this model would work as an exact fit for our situation, and the membership payment would need to be much higher for us or not include the season ticket (a seaso at Rovers works out to about £125 per year) but it seems to me to be a framework that we could adapt to save the football club itself in the event of an administration in the next couple of weeks.

So, for all of the talk about protests and for all the anguish that we're all feeling about what is happing to SUFC, do we think that we could get enough people involved to buy the Club itself? Let Ron Martin, Sainsburys and whoever else work out how to keep the Fossetts Farm and Roots Hall developments on track and let the Club be seperated from the current network of companies that it is intertwinned with and just keep it alive, which is the only thing that matters right now.

Shamrock Rovers are half the size of Southend United. They have 500 fans willing to put their money where their mouth is. The question is do we have 1,000 fans willing to do the same?

Last edited:
As we are on a bigger scale to Shamrock, maybe any such organisation could offer a variety of buy in options to suit a wider range of fans.

I.e. £100 a month, £50 a month and £25 a month - each with associated benefits.

You may get more of an uptake, rather than having a single figure which may be too high for some?

It is a nice idea and one I would fully support. The difficult I see is that there is a pot of gold at the end of all of this for someone (currently Ron and craved by the consortium) in the shape of the FF development. If we went into administration remember we dont own much (not the ground, not the development site). If we bought the club we would own the legal entity and then be liable to the landlord of Roots Hall (or FF) for rent......

If one of RM's companies went into admin that owned RH ans the development site, then those assets would be open to sale, and someone like the consortium is likely to outbid anything we could offer.

Last edited:
As we are on a bigger scale to Shamrock, maybe any such organisation could offer a variety of buy in options to suit a wider range of fans.

I.e. £100 a month, £50 a month and £25 a month - each with associated benefits.

You may get more of an uptake, rather than having a single figure which may be too high for some?

Indeed. I'd suggest that £100 per month gets your season ticket and various other perks, £50 would be the base charge purely for membership (something which would appeal to Exiles like myself) and £25 would be an affiliate membership whereby you don't own a full share of the Club but do benefit from some of the associated benefits once we can negotiate what those benfits would be (JPT/Carling Cup ticket, discounts at the Club Shop, etc - haven't really had the time to think this through yet).

A couple of things that I'd point out would be that this shouldn't be seen as a value for money investment opportunity. This would be a desperation move to save our Football Club.

Also, this wouldn't be an easy solution to all the Club's worries. We still don't generate enough cash to live with the sort of wagebill that we've had in recent times. We'd need a massive trimming of all expenses, we'd need a wagebill in line with the sort of figures that Ron Martin has been talking about this season (£1.4m) and we still wouldn't have any assets or ownership of the ground. But I've seen this mdoel work and I believe it could work for us.

Last edited:
It is a nice idea and one I would fully support. The difficult I see is that there is a pot of gold at the end of all of this for someone (currently Ron and craved by the consortium) in the shape of the FF development. If we went into administration remember we dont own much (not the ground, not the development site). If we bought the club we would own the legal entity and then be liable to the landlord of Roots Hall (or FF) for rent......

If one of RM's companies went into admin that owned RH ans the development site, then those assets would be open to sale, and someone like the consortium is likely to outbid anything we could offer.

Yep. I've assumed for the purposes of this that Ron Martin would retain possession of Roots Hall through RHL and that he would continue to not charge the rent that is due. For all I care, he can profit hugely from moving the Club to Fossetts Farm. As long as it gets built and that the Club is split away from all that side of things.

Yep. I've assumed for the purposes of this that Ron Martin would retain possession of Roots Hall through RHL and that he would continue to not charge the rent that is due. For all I care, he can profit hugely from moving the Club to Fossetts Farm. As long as it gets built and that the Club is split away from all that side of things.

That's a big assumption to make though.....Ron could just as easily charge a high rent, and call in all other debts SUFC allegedly owe to him and the club could never come out of administration.

Indeed. I'd suggest that £100 per month gets your season ticket and various other perks, £50 would be the base charge purely for membership (something which would appeal to Exiles like myself) and £25 would be an affiliate membership whereby you don't own a full share of the Club but do benefit from some of the associated benefits once we can negotiate what those benfits would be (JPT/Carling Cup ticket, discounts at the Club Shop, etc - haven't really had the time to think this through yet).

A couple of things that I'd point out would be that this shouldn't be seen as a value for money investment opportunity. This would be a desperation move to save our Football Club.

Also, this wouldn't be an easy solution to all the Club's worries. We still don't generate enough cash to live with the sort of wagebill that we've had in recent times. We'd need a massive trimming of all expenses, we'd need a wagebill in line with the sort of figures that Ron Martin has been talking about this season (£1.4m) and we still wouldn't have any assets or ownership of the ground. But I've seen this mdoel work and I believe it could work for us.

wouldn't people just buy the £50 pm package and then a season ticket (or individual tickets) on top instead of £100 pm?

I really like the concept however

That's a big assumption to make though.....Ron could just as easily charge a high rent, and call in all other debts SUFC allegedly owe to him and the club could never come out of administration.

He could. But the best case for Ron Martin is still that the Club makes it to Fossetts Farm, and they are more likely to do that if he doesn't go out of his way to make it difficult for us. Whilst it's true that he could still probably make some money from the sale of Roots Hall, the bulk of the potential fortune was always attached to the FF development and he needs the football club to survive if he is to see that money.

As I said, this isn't a simple, straight-forward solution. Rovers were homeless for years before the move to Tallaght finally happened.

This was already done here years ago. The public of Southend bought and paid for Roots Hall. You want them to do it all over again? Buy a ground for your team to play on, and then a few chairmen later give it away, and let a property developer rent it back to you!

Count me out. My family gave thousands for the purchase of Roots Hall. So did many others. Local businesses gave materials, footballers gave their labour free (I am talking about construction, not the enforced Ron Martin version)

LEST WE FORGET

Buying and building a ground wouldn't be an option in this day and age. We'd need a property developer for that and we've already got a few of those buzzing around the place.

Owning and running the football club itself in the way seen a Rovers, at Exeter and a handful of other Clubs, would be something else.

Back