• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blue_Wes

Simple Minded
Not seen this anywhere else, but we should be signing this kid today, season long long. Not sure what type of striker he is, but a couple of loan stints at Orient and Torquay have yielded a couple of goals.

Spurs Site said:
Lively young striker made headlines in 2012-13 when he struck a hat-trick in our spectacular 4-1 win at Barcelona in the NextGen Series.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/professionals-profiles/shaquile-coulthirst/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaquile_Coulthirst

Coulthirst got a mention in the Isaac Layne thread as well, much to Ricey's surprise. Too may threads, so little time!!

Worst thing about this signing is he will no doubt get Jealous Stokes coming onto this thread to bore us all with how **** he is.

Season long loans are so much better than the short term deals, gives a youngster time to settle in without feeling under pressure to perform instantly, I think we have a great back room team in place to develop players these days, in fact dare I say it far better than we had in the Tilson era.

Mixed emotions.

Another player - good.
Season long loan - better than a short term loan.

Developing another team's player - not so good.
Reducing opportunities for own young players - not so good.
Potential gain from future sale - no benefit to S.U.F.C.

Last edited:
Can't reveal my source but had this confirmed to me. Says he's young but a good player. Will put himself about a bit.

Season long loans are so much better than the short term deals, gives a youngster time to settle in without feeling under pressure to perform instantly, I think we have a great back room team in place to develop players these days, in fact dare I say it far better than we had in the Tilson era.

agree with all this mate

He came on as a substitute when we played Torquay at the end of last season.

i remember he was quick and caused Egan and Sokolik problems. I think this is a good signing and provides another dimension to our play.

Mixed emotions.

Another player - good.

Potential gain from future sake - no benefit to S.U.F.C.

It's not about reducing opportunities for our youth players, if ours were anywhere near good enough then they would be in the mix. As bad as it is for us smaller clubs, the way the youth system is now set up with Academies etc, the vast majority of young talent from a very early age is amongst the elite clubs. We have seen our 'better' youngsters sign for a host of Premiership clubs.

To get the likes of Woodrow, Kiernan, Assombolonga, Sokolik and Egan is a major plus for Southend and our management team, you can't for one minute tell me that you would rather try blood our inferior youngsters into the side.

Bentley aside, when was the last time we had good quality young players come through and hold down a regular spot (season or two) in the first team through quality. Franck Moussa and Kane Ferdinand aside, I can't think of many since Leo Roget. Jack Payne is 20 in October, he needs to be breaking into the side soon, some 20 year olds are playing International football.

I am a romantic when it comes to football and would love a team full of youth team products and local talent, It's a shame but it's reality.

Confirmed in the Echo today that Shaq should be signing a year long loan, but with a break clause in it.

Mixed emotions.

Another player - good.

Potential gain from future sake - no benefit to S.U.F.C.
But the advantage we do get is a player that we wouldn't otherwise be able to access, and if he gives us that better cutting edge that gets us out of this league, then SUFC do gain a future benefit. As for our young players, we can either keep them around for possible substitutions (or at least train with better players) or they can in turn be loaned out for a season to develop their own skills.

Not happy about the break clause, guess we can't dictate to the likes of Tottenham though.

Agree, but I guess they're only lending him to us on the basis that he'll get time on the pitch. As other clubs at our level are queueing up to take him too they want to reserve the right to call him back and loan him elsewhere if we just leave him on the bench and only give him 10 minutes here and there at the end of games (like we did with Woodrow).

Agree, but I guess they're only lending him to us on the basis that he'll get time on the pitch. As other clubs at our level are queueing up to take him too they want to reserve the right to call him back and loan him elsewhere if we just leave him on the bench and only give him 10 minutes here and there at the end of games (like we did with Woodrow).
If it's for that reason I agree but makes you wonder if it's more along the lines of sending him to team in a higher league as he progresses or to sell him on as happened with Britt. Still guess we have to make the most of it. Very difficult for PB to manage a situation like this, if he gives him a chance with a run in the first team and the lad doesn't cut it he will be crucified and his job may be on the line, if he doesn't use him then they will call him back.

Back