• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shaun Thorton

bomma77

Youth Team
Sorry, I have to say this boy did his homework on us and purposly set out to get either Maher or McCormack sent off. This is the problem of having two mouthy hot head centre mids playing together, and I think you might see other clubs try this tactic against us. Dispacable as it maybe.

However in the words of Jose, I personaly feel the best team lost today, and I honestly think Orient aren't much better than relegation strugglers this year. We looked so much cuter than they did at times.

I hear people saying we need another striker. I think we just need one of the several we have to start firing. Although I don't think Harrold has it in him. He tries hard but he hasn't got that killer instinct for me.

It was a throw back to what Guttridge used to do for us. Although to give some credit to Luke, he didn't go about it by diving all over the shop.

I'd leave some criticism at Tilson's door though. Several of us said after the first half that McCormack was gonna see red today and true to what we said, it happened. Tilly should've spotted this himself and put Bailey on before Thornton had a chance to do his job. We saw how much Macca got wound up in certain pre season games, so in the first competitive game, against Orient, against Thornton, it was suicide.

Yes that's true. It's funny how your rivals, no matter how much you play them, know more about your strengths and weaknesses than anyone else. Duguid did the same last year when he targeted Maher for Col U. The fans of our rivals hate our most passionate players (Maher, Macca), like we do theirs (Mackie and Tudor (Borient), Duguid and Izzet (Col U)etc.), and so will always try to rile them up. I can't say that I'd expect other teams to try to do it, but I have to admit that I saw it coming today, and I'd expect Orient and Col U to try those tactics on us whenever we play them.

I agree that we looked 'cuter' too. I keep saying that I feel that our experience in the CCC made ou players better, and it showed on occasions today. When Orient tried to go forward, they just...didn't look very good. But when we allowed ourselves to play our own stuff rather than get dragged into their congested, headless-chicken style of play, I really think that we looked a cut above them technically.

I'm not saying we were by far the better side on the day because we weren't and as I said, we allowed them to drag us down to their level of football too much. But on the few occasions where we saw Southend play their football, you could tell that they were a cut above Orient technique-wise. Doesn't always mean you win though, unfortunatley!

Yes a short while after their guy got yellow for a reckless challenge and the crowd were baying for a red.... you just knew the ref would be looking to send him off for anything he did next to even things up and make amends for his **** up. A few minutes later he was subed, the difference in management nonce I feel.

Even though Thornton is a diving, cheating little **** on todays evidence (for all we know, this could have been a one off), I still would have liked him in our team.

I don't like seeing players dive, I don't think anyone does, but he still looked a cut above today. He took his free kick well, and was a constant threat.

To be fair, we had 8 debutants our there today.

It will take some time for us to gel but I do agree we didnt offer a great deal going forward.

Adam Boyd is a quality striker, but isnt match fit IMO.

Still, we won and thats all that matters really.:)

Thornton was outdone in the diving department by Demetriou though. That dive in front of the east was one of the most disgusting pieces of play I've ever seen. It was so bad the little **** even looked embarassed himself. The fact the referee failed to book him made it worse.

There is no way i would want the cheating idiot in my team. Yes, i accept he wound our players up throughout the game and our players should have rose above it but to go down like a sack of sh it at every opportunity, well its just not cricket is it

Yes a short while after their guy got yellow for a reckless challenge and the crowd were baying for a red.... you just knew the ref would be looking to send him off for anything he did next to even things up and make amends for his **** up. A few minutes later he was subed, the difference in management nonce I feel.

Slander?

Anyway, yeah, he won the game today and should be man of the match. Ok, Orient looked pretty soft going forwards but around the midfield, Thornton made sure they worked the ball better than us even if the rest of his teammates didn't help.

The more I dwell on it, the more I'm hacked off with McCormack for getting sent off. I know footballers like him play on the fine line between aggressive and dirty but getting sent off for your attitude rather than tackling is ridiculous and cost at least a point today.

The more I dwell on it, the more I'm hacked off with McCormack for getting sent off. I know footballers like him play on the fine line between aggressive and dirty but getting sent off for your attitude rather than tackling is ridiculous and cost at least a point today.

I think you'd have half the player if you took that side of McCormack's game away from him. The frustrating thing was that I'm sure that half the ground at least knew that he or Maher were going to get themselves sent off, but I don't accept the arguement that Tilly should have subbed one of them because at this stage bith are so crucial to us. McCormack is the best central midfielder we have had in years and everything goes through Maher so taking either off for the unproven Bailey would have seriously weakened us.

Thornton got McCormack sent off with his general attitude. It's annoying that players will do that to a fellow Professional but we all said last season that we were too nice for our own good and maybe we saw that again yesterday. Thornton is clearly the sort who thrives on the attention and booing him only seemed to make him play better.

Top, top player by the way. I said when he went to Orient that they had made the signing of the summer at this level and we saw it yesterday. I presume we were never in for him because he plays in Maher's position but he'll do very well for the O's.

Last edited:
McCormack got himself sent off yesterday without doubt. He fell for Thornton's gamesmanship hook, line and sinker. Take the aggression out of Macca's game and you would have a lesser player but he must learn not to talk himself into the referee's book as he did in the first half. That was the booking that cost us the points in my opinion.

Thornton has been a 'thorn in our side' before when we played Doncaster - just he didn't stand out quite so much in that team as he did yesterday , McIndoe took some of the limelight .

Sorry, I have to say this boy did his homework on us and purposly set out to get either Maher or McCormack sent off. This is the problem of having two mouthy hot head centre mids playing together, and I think you might see other clubs try this tactic against us. Dispacable as it maybe.

However in the words of Jose, I personaly feel the best team lost today, and I honestly think Orient aren't much better than relegation strugglers this year. We looked so much cuter than they did at times.

I hear people saying we need another striker. I think we just need one of the several we have to start firing. Although I don't think Harrold has it in him. He tries hard but he hasn't got that killer instinct for me.

how do we look cute at a football match?

I haven't. What do you mean?

We all know the kind of player McCormack is, and he'll unneccesarily get himself into trouble every now and then, but there seems to be a lot of blame on him being the reason we lost yesterday which is very, very unfair.

My initial reaction was that Thornton dived, the replay shows just how heinous and cynical it was. The referee is in shot, looking the other way - Thornton's theatrics the only thing that could have caught his attention. Such a shame the game was ruined in this way.

We all know the kind of player McCormack is, and he'll unneccesarily get himself into trouble every now and then, but there seems to be a lot of blame on him being the reason we lost yesterday which is very, very unfair.

My initial reaction was that Thornton dived, the replay shows just how heinous and cynical it was. The referee is in shot, looking the other way - Thornton's theatrics the only thing that could have caught his attention. Such a shame the game was ruined in this way.

I wonder if we can appeal the red card then? If its that obvious he dived and the ref wern't looking, we might as well give it a go.

I wonder if we can appeal the red card then? If its that obvious he dived and the ref wern't looking, we might as well give it a go.

You can't appeal yellow cards so no, there's nothing we can do.

As I said, I've only seen it the once, from the South Upper when it happened but I didn't think there was much wrong with the challenge. You can often tell a lot about an incident from the reaction of the other players on the field and the anger coming from the rest of our team towards Thornton even before the red card was shown, told it's own story.

I thought McCormack was quite cute for the sending off, seeing as he did it behind the referee's back. He was unfortunate that the referee only needed to see Thornton on the ground in order to give a yellow card or free-kick.

I wouldn't punish McCormack for that sending off at all. I want him to go round biting ankles and playing on the limits. I'm also disappointed that nobody went through Thornton with their studs after that incident. A yellow card is a price worth paying for telling the opposition that they won't get away with things like that.

Back