• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

onceknownasrab

President
I have read all the posts about booing and not being supportive of the players. I am writing this at half time today, only getting to follow the match on BBC Essex. The truth is our players are not the men we need. Sheep and not lions. Ability is only half the debate. When the going gets tough the tough get going. Our sheep have no hope. If they are so sensitive they cannot deal with justified criticism then they are not up to the pressures this season will deliver. Men don't cry about name calling, they roll up their sleeves and deliver. If they want the crowd off its back they only have to play the way they can but don't. I don't care if they lose like men but its a shame they go down bleating like sheep.

I have read all the posts about booing and not being supportive of the players. I am writing this at half time today, only getting to follow the match on BBC Essex. The truth is our players are not the men we need. Sheep and not lions. Ability is only half the debate. When the going gets tough the tough get going. Our sheep have no hope. If they are so sensitive they cannot deal with justified criticism then they are not up to the pressures this season will deliver. Men don't cry about name calling, they roll up their sleeves and deliver. If they want the crowd off its back they only have to play the way they can but don't. I don't care if they lose like men but its a shame they go down bleating like sheep.

BAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.:COL U:

Well after our second half fight back where we showed a lot of determination to get back into the game, and were lucky not to get at least a point, do you want to take this back?

No i have no need to take it back. Playing when all is lost is easier than when it matters most. The side were under pressure to perform at the start of the game. When 2-0 down there is no expectation. It is not a fightback when you have nothing to lose.

No i have no need to take it back. Playing when all is lost is easier than when it matters most. The side were under pressure to perform at the start of the game. When 2-0 down there is no expectation. It is not a fightback when you have nothing to lose.

Ok, so maybe the team are weak and fail to respond well to criticism. If this is the case, as a Southend fan, do you still think it wise to get on their backs? Surely, as a Southend fan, you should realise their limitations mentally, and do all you can to encourage them to maximise their potential.

The club is about where it deserves to be at the moment in the league with the squad it has and the squad at Sturrock's disposal the grim reality of how far this club has fallen in the last couple of years under the current stewardship. Q.E.D.

what a pointless piece of toss " i wasnt there but... i think i wil still post some ****"

what a pointless piece of toss " i wasnt there but... i think i wil still post some ****"

Oh and of course you have never expressed an opinion. This is my opinion and no matter how much you wish to criticise it, however much abusive language you choose to throw at it, my opinion will not change.

Oh and of course you have never expressed an opinion. This is my opinion and no matter how much you wish to criticise it, however much abusive language you choose to throw at it, my opinion will not change.

Come on fella, dont be so sensitive. Roll up those sleeves and deliver a better response :winking:

Except your post was about how we should stop moaning about how we should support the players, even though after the second penalty was awarded the fans got behind the team and we started playing better, yes Chesterfield were in control but we started to show some decent football after the crowd got behind us rather than booed us

Except your post was about how we should stop moaning about how we should support the players, even though after the second penalty was awarded the fans got behind the team and we started playing better, yes Chesterfield were in control but we started to show some decent football after the crowd got behind us rather than booed us

I think you should read the original post. I was not saying we should stop moaning, far from it. I was suggesting that the players need to behave like men and not schoolboys when they hear negative responses to their inept performances. If they want the cheers they need to be prepared for the jeers. If I could change one thing though it is the level of unnecessary foul language. Not for the protection of the players but the families in the ground. We all use it but when it is hurled full volume it becomes somewhat unsavoury. Perhaps I am a dinosaur although not generally aligned to the OTT PC brigade, but the colour of the language is something I would like to see altered. Consideration of others is no bad thing.

I was suggesting that the players need to behave like men and not schoolboys when they hear negative responses to their inept performances. If they want the cheers they need to be prepared for the jeers.
True but the jeering on Monday was totally unjustified and I think Easton was right to defend the players targeted.

True but the jeering on Monday was totally unjustified and I think Easton was right to defend the players targeted.

I agree one hundred percent with Easton coming out and showing solidarity and I am not condoning or defending the people who abuse the players but will defend their right to do so. I only wonder about the players reactions. If it is truly affecting their performance then their character is brought in to question. Any player that signed up for this season was either aware of the problems or incredibly naive if they thought it would be all roses and with that they must have considered the fans feelings after the several seasons of turmoil we have endured. Support is like respect. It is not a given, it has to be earned. I envy those supporters that can be behind the team whatever the situation but I also believe dissent can effect change. Many fans are not happy, they do not all go on forums and they like to vent their spleen vehemently and publicly, along with their ilk. Up The Blues!

10/12 games into the Sturrock take over I would probably have agreed with you. However in the last six or seven games I have changed my opinion quite dramatically, I have seen good fight backs and some good wins - we have yet to be hammered by anyone. We need to get behind the lads, there's a team in there somewhere and at this moment in time we are a pretty stable mid table team.

Just support.

you are Paul Sturrock and I claim my £10.00

By the way I do agree with you re 2nd half performance - shame we are not a consistent 90 minute Team though.

I do agree with the initial posters comments about it being a totally different set of expectations when you are 0-2 - but at least the Team did not give up and the realistic comments I hear around me in the East from my felloe supporters is that it is not the players fault when we are being beaten as they all (except Soares) try 100% - they are just not good enough and given the debacle at the start of the seaon we are probably being unrealistic if we expect anything different.

Let's just try and consolidate this seaon and take it forward next with a decent backbone in the squad.

Games are played over 90 Minutes.

Not the last 30. No point in deciding to play when we're already two goals down. Not going to win too many doing that.

Back