• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
It's 27 years since we've won, or even scored, at Sheffield United. As mentioned elsewhere that was a most unexpected win, thanks to an own goal. Both teams left the division that season. They went up; we went down.

A little earlier, in fact 33 years ago today, I saw Steve Phillips notch the only goal of the game there.

Anyway, tomorrow's referee is Scott Duncan from Newcastle. In my experience a decent official who has progressed quickly and gets good appointments. In his 4th season, he has not refereed Southend for a while. His only Southend match thus far was the 6th match of his League career when we won 3-1 at Cheltenham in 2012/13. Just one yellow to them and no complaints.

He has already refereed Sheffield United this season - their draw at Hartlepool in the JPT. Sheff U went through on pens.

He has a below average card count with 12 matches this season producing just 33 yellows and no reds.

He will be assisted by Simon Mather from Manchester and Nick Barnard from Warrington with Police Officer Matt McGrath on numbers board duty.

Thought the ref was excellent yesterday, from watching it on t'internet.

Hardly noticed him, which is always a good sign.

Ps, the below was the last game I saw there, too :-

A little earlier, in fact 33 years ago today, I saw Steve Phillips notch the only goal of the game there.

Was at the game and he was a homer. Fooled several times by diving Sheffield players.:sad:

Ref gave a few decisions in favour of Utd second half but we were a long way away to make judgments like that. I thought on the whole the ref was excellent.

Praising a referee's performance ! Whatever next ? :winking:

I saw one incident on t'internet where their lad was fouled on the edge of our area and he played the advantage and let play go on. They kept the ball moving for another 5/6 minutes and tried to work an opening, until they finally gave it away. The Sheff Utd supporters were screaming for the free kick, but you could see exactly what the ref was trying to do. We fouled the guy to stop the game and to upset their rythm, so the ref kept it going. Great refereeing in my book.

8/10 for the ref.
A few of their and our players kept going down softly which he didn't buy except for a JCR dive; and I am blaming the players not ref for that.
Note to PB - when we get in the pen box make sure the players know to take their chances on and only go down when under BIG pressure - especially Mr Mooney, Wozza, Tims; and if our defenders do more shirt pulling we WILL get pens against us from lesser refs.

Was at the game and yes he was good, there will always be a decision a ref will give that we (as fans) don't like but I dond't think the ref made any seriously bad calls yesterday.

I too recall the electing to wave play on and the Blades fans getting a bit agitated about it but I agree he played the advantage for them and they (thankfully) didn't take it!

... Surely playing the advantage against us at the moment is to give the opposition a set-piece! :winking:

Back