• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Being as he had a choice of 3, I think that's harsh!

Big thanks for the tip off for live streaming, meant many more of us could see it. Looked to be a well reffed game. Payne and Leonard looked to be our stand out players. Thought Hurst did ok to be fair. We have to work out what the heck is wrong in defence, and we have to have Timlin start above Atkinson.

Not going to give ratings, don't think that's fair from the streaming view.

Really pleased to hear that as quite a few took to Twitter when the team was announced to question the selection of Jack Payne!:winking:

Payne was very good in the first half - very good indeed. I heard Adkins on BBC Sheffield describe Payne as a pain and one Blades fan said Payne would be good in their team.

But in the 2nd half he was neutralised (if such a word exists). Both Brown and Payne need to work out what to do then because substituting Payne could be said to be removing one of our best players.

Loved the way Payne was far more physical than I remember seeing him before. :thumbsup:

I think thats 7 games now since we scored a goal in the second half of a game..

Funny game this - we went from playing some lovely stuff and causing real problems for Sheff Utd at the start, to hanging onto a point by the skin of our teeth at the end. A number of changes in personnel shows the versatility of our squad - playing Barrett and Thompson at the back clearly gives us a better base for attacking play as both are comfortable on the ball, but please don't tell me they are the best out and out defensive pairing. I suspect Barrett and Bolger is where we'll end up - which is logical and gives us a bit of both. I thought the best performers today were Leonard and White, which is often the case when we're under the cosh.

Overall a good result though it's always difficult to admit after being 2-0 up. Would we of won if Bentley hadn't made the error? Perhaps, we'll never know, but a 2-1 lead at half time might have encouraged us to go even more defensive.

No one was terrible, even Bentley redeemed himself with the one on one save. Overall ratings:

Bentley 5 - sorry but I can't rate him higher after that error, he would of scored lower but the save in the second half earns him an extra point.
White 6 - Had a tough job against JCR's direct running but held him off well for much of the game, good to see that JCR's crossing is still as bad as I remembered.
Thompson 6 - Not bad, got a little too close to his man at times which left him vulnerable to being turned.
Barrett 6 - Ok, but still looks a way off his best form. I'd agree with those calling for a Barrett/Bolger partnership, early season the pairing looked far more secure than what we have been recently.
Coker 6 - All action, got forward well at times, set pieces sadly largely crap as usual.

Worrall 7 - Very good first half though he did fade a little after the break. Surprisingly good at winning headers as a target man. I noticed Bentley was aiming for him equally as much as Mooney and he won far more flick ons.
Hurst 5 - Still don't think he should be starting. He wasn't terrible and did put in one decent cross second half for Worrall, but as others have said he looks a mere shadow of his former self. If there's one player who would benefit from a loan spell it's Hurst.
Leonard 7 - Cracking goal but still looks a little short of his swashbuckling best. Also played one terrible pass in a defensive area 2nd half when under no pressure.
Atkinson 6 - Mediocre, I mentioned in the match thread that he never seems to go forward, he seems to be turning slowly in to a safety first 'crab'. Very disappointing for a player who was brought in originally as an attack minded winger. Also gave the ball away cheaply for Sheffield United's last shot on to the post. EDIT - on seeing the highlights it was Timlin not Atkinson who gave the ball away, hence I've upped Atko to a 6.
Payne 7.5 - I don't usually give .5 ratings but I did feel Payne was MOM without being quite good enough to warrant an 8. Excellent for the first 35 mins but did fade out somewhat after that.

Mooney 6 - Did reasonably well, I thought he was a little better than against Bristol Rovers and won some cheap free kicks. I still don't think he's suited to the lone striker role though.

Subs - all 6, did ok without making a huge impact.

I'd personally like us to return to 4-4-2 next week and would bring Pigott, Timlin and Bolger in for Payne, Hurst and Thompson. Admittedly that's harsh on Payne but I think he plays best in a 5 man midfield, we need to play 2 up at home IMO.

Last edited:
I think thats 7 games now since we scored a goal in the second half of a game..

That's very worrying, we do seem to start well and then fade out of games. Does make me wonder what Brown says at HT, it's definitely not working, maybe he needs a change of tact.

Three things caught my eye from the highlights ;
Thompsons little look, and cute lean, that created some space for Leonard's cracking shot.
The fact that perhaps we were too eager, and rash, to clear that first corner (past misdemeanours possibly playing on their minds).
Now I'm not Atkinson's biggest fan, but boy was that a driving run at the death, though he did well to keep the ball alive when closed down, he should have slipped in Worrall a few seconds earlier.

Watch it again. He didn't have three men to mark, he was marking one and left him.

I love Barrett but he was at fault..

I agree with OBL, why did we have three players marking one at the near post? Maybe Barrett did leave his man but he did end up with three to mark. I think it's harsh to blame him, the three players who got pulled to the near post marking nobody were more at fault IMO.

Fed up with hearing the same old cliches spouted from Brown & Coughlan like "would have taken a point at Sheff Utd before the game". **** off how about coaching them how to win from being in front.

Not a bad result I suppose but like a few recent games we should have won.

was a great start and looked good going 2 up but lets be fair we all know they would get at least 1 back as we never keep 2 nil leads. In all fairness we were lucky to get a point in the end as they hit woodwork 3 times 2nd half

Jack Payne in the first 30 min looked like the best player in this league, but he doesnt seem to be able to last 90 min, or even 70 min. If he is to progress, and become a fixture in Southends side, he must learn to pace himself better, or become a guy that just comes off the bench.

Thought we scored two great goals and gave away two sloppy ones.

Still happy with a point -although after being 2-0 up, thought it was gonna be our day for all three.:sad:

Jack Payne in the first 30 min looked like the best player in this league, but he doesnt seem to be able to last 90 min, or even 70 min. If he is to progress, and become a fixture in Southends side, he must learn to pace himself better, or become a guy that just comes off the bench.

I don't think it has anything to do with pacing over 90 minutes - Adkins worked out how to stop him ( Payne) playing and "we" weren't clever enough to change our play to cancel out their cancelling out ............. if that makes sense!

Back