• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Absolutely .......... I echo the sentiments of the article. In particular ........

As Jock Stein said "Football without fans is nothing", a statement that seems to be lost in the current footballing world where ticket prices rise, fixture changes and a lack of care or thought for fan welfare permeate the decisions of administrators and television companies. There is real danger that fans will increasingly become emotionally and financially disenfranchised from the game. This cannot be helpful for clubs, leagues or media rights holders and it needs to change.

I agree and sympathize with the Blades fans. Genuine football fans are just used as fodder by the TV organizations. What makes this particular change worse is that it was originally scheduled for Easter Monday when a bumper crowd would be expected. The money paid to us by Sky may not cover the loss in gate receipts. Games switched from Saturdays may be covered financially but probably not this holiday fixture. The armchair so-called "fan" gets a better deal in this country than those of us who attend live matches and keep the sport going.

It is ridiculous and it happened to us with the Coventry game earlier this season (for different reasons of course). There was no consideration for the away fans in particular in both cases.

I stand to be corrected but didn't Leeds recently try and stand up to them and were told by the League that they were contracted to let them in?

Not sure of all the ins and outs but I think it was more over how many of their games had been televised than moving dates but would the same apply?

And F.C. Manchester United (or some combination like that) tried to stand up to the F.A. as well regarding a televised match and were "slapped down" earlier this season.

There seems to have been a lot more faffing around with fixtures this year. Home and away but there is zero consideration for the supporters.

The TV games should all be selected at the start of the season. I know of someone who has booked train tickets 3 times this season and the game has been moved.

You have to feel for the Sheffield Utd fans that have booked accommodation and travel. As the article states, many would have made a weekend of it at a seaside town in March and the weather should be a bit warmer.

I would have expected 10,000+ for the Bank holiday fixture but with the new one, I can't see many more than about 7,000.

I can understand how the average fan must feel, making arrangements well before time only to have the fixture changed at the whim of Sky.

I wonder how long it would be before a re-arranged match is boycotted by the fans and the match is shown on the telly with no fans present. You'd have to feel for the club as they'd miss out on the gate revenue and not be remunerated enough by Sky to cover costs.

Do a Leeds and don't let the sky camera's in. I know that won't happen but they got an apology from the Football League in the end but they have gone and done it again. Obviously havnt learnt from their mistake.

Could always make it a ugly spectacle (continual foul language chanting, racism, pitch invasions etc,etc) so Sky won't want to broadcast from there again ............................back to the 70's & 80's anyone :nope:

I've often wondered why SKY would want to cover live football at our level and below, anyway. Even the Championship seems a bit of a mystery.

I can't believe anyone not connected to our two clubs would be remotely bothered/interested if it wasn't on TV.

SKY must invest a fair whack to set up covering a live game at The Hall and for what. A bit of advertising revenue. It would be cheaper for them and far more beneficial, if they put a couple of cameras in the ground on Easter Monday and showed the game live on a screen at Bramall Lane and just left the kick off time as it is.

Ondigital tried all this, when charging to watch Division 2 matches like Oxford United v. Sunderland in those days and their viewing figures were non-existent.

Fact is, outside of the committed fans, this match is just something to channel hop past on the night, yet the disruption caused by moving it is far more damaging.

They should just leave well alone and do us all a favour.

I can understand how the average fan must feel, making arrangements well before time only to have the fixture changed at the whim of Sky.

I wonder how long it would be before a re-arranged match is boycotted by the fans and the match is shown on the telly with no fans present. You'd have to feel for the club as they'd miss out on the gate revenue and not be remunerated enough by Sky to cover costs.

They really wouldn't give a flying bollok if there were fans present or not. It's irrelevant to Sky

Personally I am looking forward to some SUFC and SUFC fan solidarity at the match when we all chant "You can stick your f$£%ing SKY up your a$%e" just as the match kicks off for maximum coverage.

Maybe this is something the two fan groups could organise - I expect anyway we will do it better than whoever organised the minutes applause.

UTB

Back