• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Another game, another defeat. But this was a completely different game to the defeats at Sunderland, when we were simply outclassed by a quality team, and the home game against Palace, where both teams played poorly but Palace snatched victory.

We started brightly with Maher releasing Foran only for Wednesday's debutant keeper to stick up an arm to deny him. For the first 15 minutes we were on top. Wednesday's defensive structure was far from convincing and you felt if Gower could keep up the probing balls from midfield we could have some joy. As it was, our reward came not from open play, but from a set piece. A corner headed towards goal was diverted in at the far end - apparently by Lewis Hunt according to someone's wap phone - but we couldn't care less as the faithful celebrated another rare away goal.

The lead only lasted a minute or so. Che Wilson fouled his man and then completely lost his marker to leave Tudgay in acres of space with the simple task of heading past Flahavan from 8 yards.

Despite this set-back the Blues pushed forward with both Efe and Bradbury missing chances from corners but you couldn't help wondering how expensive such misses could be, particularly with Che looking completely out of his depth on our left flank.

As it was, Wednesday took the lead with a freak goal. Efe's mistake let Tudgay hammer in a low cross across the 6 yard box which Flahavan should have dealt with, instead he left it to Spinner who was facing his own net and in attempting to clear it managed to slam an unstoppable shot just inside the post. 2-1 down wasn't a great situation to be in, but I felt we could definitely still get something out of the game as we looked to have the beating of Wednesday's defence. The trouble was, without McCormack we were struggling to win the ball and with Che an absolute liability at left-back it was looking only a matter of time before Wednesday extended their lead.

Che was struggling to stay in the same postcode as Jermaine Johnson, Wednesday's version of JCR, and Johnson either beat him with ease or Wilson backed off so far there was no need to beat him and Johnson repeatedly got to the corner of the penalty area with time and space to pick out a team-mate. Wilson was frantically trying to pass Johnson onto one of his team-mates, but even when he managed to do this he then managed to lose the man he was supposed to be picking up instead. With Wilson failing to get in a single tackle or block all half and repeatedly getting beaten, this was dragging the rest of our defence out of position and we were looking ragged whilst Wednesday were growing in confidence. Somehow Wednesday failed to capitalise with a woeful display of shooting, the like of which hadn't been witnessed at Hillsborough since our forwards' and midfielders' pre-match warm-up efforts. Burton fired wide, Tudgay scuffed one which Flahavan managed to half save and Efe scrambled clear, Johnson missed a chance and Burton smacked the cross-bar from about 10 yards out and Brunt shot wide. All these chances were coming from our left-back position so half-time and the chance to sub Wilson couldn't come soon enough. All our defensive problems were stemming from this, and if we could solidify this position the rest of our defence would be fine and I felt confident that we could still get something out of the game as we had the beating of the Wednesday defence.

Tilly doesn't often make substitutions, so it speaks volumes about Che's performance that Francis came on. Hunt moved to left-back and Francis went right-back. Wednesday barely threatened for the rest of the game and instead it was all Southend as we pressed forward. Bradbury headed tamely at Turner from 12 yards from a JCR cross before Gower who clearly enjoys playing in the middle put Freddy through who calmly rounded Turner and tapped home from the edge of the area for his 15th goal of what has apparently been a poor season for him!

By now we were well on top and we're looking for all three points. Foran was a real threat on the left-hand side of midfield and went close with a couple of drilled shots that Turner managed to keep out. Then with minutes to play, we thought we had won it when a ball was played into Freddy 6 yards out who swung his boot at it and managed to trap it rather than blast it into the net, but the ball came out to Bradbury who made no mistake from 4 yards only for the lino to wave his flag, presumably for offside although I've no idea who was off-side.

Then in injury time came the cruel twist, Hunt dived into block Johnson's powerful shot which hit his hand and the ref cruelly pointed to the spot. Flahavan seemed to get his hands on the spot-kick but it went in and we had to make the long return trip emptied handed when we should have and could have had all three points.

Ratings

Flahavan 6 - should have claimed the cross for the second goal, otherwise a quiet game but had to pick the ball out of the net three times.
Hunt 7 - scored but until the penalty had kept the dangerous Johnson quiet second half
Wilson 3 - abject. An absolute horror show. It will be a major surprise if he ever pulls on a Southend shirt again.
Prior 7 - apart from the freak own goal he was a class act at the back with experience making defending look easy
Sodje 6 - still not at his best, but despite conceding 3 goals the Prior-Sodje combination looks our strongest pairing defensively, if not going forward
Maher 6 - needs a ball-winner alongside him
JCR 7 - visibly tired second half but that and his inability to play the early ball would have been an 8
Gower 8 - enjoys the freedom in the middle of the park and looks a lot more dangerous than when playing out-side, but
Foran 7 - another solid display
Eastwood 7 - his 15th goal of the season should hopefully shut up his critics. Give him the ball when he's not trebled-marked and he delivers
Bradbury 6 - held the ball up but his lack of pace is a real problem

Ref 4 - I think it was his first game at this level, or at least it certainly looked like it.

Away support 9 - great stuff, singing throughout and getting behind the team.

Very good report and agree mostly on your scores for the players and our fans were immense the best atmosphere for a long long time. song after song and a good variation aswell. even got a were the west stand of roots hall then were the south stand lol maybe we could get that going at RH, and we also sang ring of fire for atleast 20 minutes aswell lol

Support was absolutely sensational! Any team would be proud of that and we done ourselves proud... Would love to see us getting an atmosphere like that at the hall

Best move of the match..........Getting wilson off at half time!!

I just hope that after yesterdays performance, we won't get another 14 page debate on who should play at left back..Hammel/wilson.

Anyone else who was there yesterday will now be able to see this.:guns:

Best move of the match..........Getting wilson off at half time!!

I just hope that after yesterdays performance, we won't get another 14 page debate on who should play at left back..Hammel/wilson.

Anyone else who was there yesterday will now be able to see this.:guns:

Wilson was poor. Says a lot when a RB Hunt, who has probably played 2-3 games max at LB in his carrer does a better job than Che who has played 2-3 seasons at LB

yea, wilson was poor, you could see how much our performance picked up in the second half. I wasn't a huge fan of the ref on the day, giving a dodgy penalty to them and disallowing our goal.

did anyone else think it was handball just before we had our goal disallowed and should have been a penalty to us?

I think the wednesday stewards also helped with the atmosphere as they let the people who wanted to stand at the back stand and i don't think that once did they tell them to sit down.

did anyone else think it was handball just before we had our goal disallowed and should have been a penalty to us?

i don't remember seeing that one but, probably biased i guess, i remember hunt getting sandwiched inbetween 2 of their players and i thought we had a fair shout for one there

i don't remember seeing that one but, probably biased i guess, i remember hunt getting sandwiched inbetween 2 of their players and i thought we had a fair shout for one there

yea it might have just been the angle I was at, looked like it hit a defenders hand though from where I was, the Hunt one was a fair shout but was never going to be given

Ref 4 - I think it was his first game at this level, or at least it certainly looked like it.

The worrying thing is he's actually a premiership ref! was 4th official for the brazil portugal game the other week as well. :mad:

I think the wednesday stewards also helped with the atmosphere as they let the people who wanted to stand at the back stand and i don't think that once did they tell them to sit down.

At the beginning of the match, one of there stewards came up and told us to sit, then 'stand up if you love southend' sung out as he walked down the steps, thats the last we heard from him

Then with minutes to play, we thought we had won it when a ball was played into Freddy 6 yards out who swung his boot at it and managed to trap it rather than blast it into the net, but the ball came out to Bradbury who made no mistake from 4 yards only for the lino to wave his flag, presumably for offside although I've no idea who was off-side.

I was in a box level with the edge of the area at the end our supporters were in, so had a pretty good view across the line for that. I'm pretty certain the decision was against Fredy as the ball was played in and it looked fair enough, he'd crept too far forward which is why he was in front of the ball as it came in & miskicked it.

Contrary to what I said last week, I've had various PMs saying I should continue to post a link to the blog, so sorry to all those who find this annoying - here goes - my thoughts on the game at the longpier

Hi all, First ever post on here, I lost my log in details a while back and have had to set my account etc.

I'm a shrimpa who lives in Sheffield and attended on sat. I actually sat in the North Stand, the one opposite where the teams come out. I sat with all my wednesday mates.

You made a lot of noise and the Wednesday fans afterwards on the way back to the pub commented on what a credit to Southend United you were!

They also thought we finished the stronger and deserved the win, not them, which about sums it up right for me. They thought JCR was MOM and a great player.

They also said we passed it about well, which i thought we did, if only we could have got a killer third goal in the last ten minutes when we threatend we'd possibly be looking to drag outselves out of the relegation places on sat.

Still great to see SUF play in the flesh again, the last time i saw us play live was at Chesterfield a while back now.

Last edited:
if only we could have got a killer third goal in the last ten minutes when we threatend

Good 1st post, welcome to the board, good to have another Exile on here!

We did though, I still maintain there wasn't a lot wrong with our disallowed goal, if that had been allowed to stand who knows, we might have claimed another one, a la Rotherham last season!

Also welcome to know we sounded loud from other parts of the ground, one of the Wednesday match reports also commented on how loud we were & how we got behind the team, despite the surreal sight of a blue & white striped SUFC flag on display in Hillsborough!

Good 1st post, welcome to the board, good to have another Exile on here!

We did though, I still maintain there wasn't a lot wrong with our disallowed goal, if that had been allowed to stand who knows, we might have claimed another one, a la Rotherham last season!

Also welcome to know we sounded loud from other parts of the ground, one of the Wednesday match reports also commented on how loud we were & how we got behind the team, despite the surreal sight of a blue & white striped SUFC flag on display in Hillsborough!

Seem to be a few of us about, exiles that is. When I moved to Sheffield in 1998 I adopted Wed as my second team as it were. Little did I beleive that in a decade i would be seeing my lovely Shrimpa's playing on equal terms with the Owls at Hillsborough. By 1998 we were looking like we might drop to the Conference, whilst Wed were very much a middle premiership team in those days.

How times change.

As they felt so guilty all my wed mates bought me pints in the pub afterwards and commented that despite the visiting support being much smaller than some teams i.e. Leeds, Preston etc we'd made more of a racket!!

Many of them have never seen SUFC before (the blue variety) and i could tell they were inpressed, their only knowledge of us all these years has been me.

As for the offside, it looked a generous home decision to me, bit like the penalty but the lineo had his flag up very quickly so I'll give him beenfit of the doubt.

Back