• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should 45 minute halves be scrapped

Should 45 minute halves be scrapped

• Yes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Don't give a monkeys

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.
Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

There's a poll for you to vote on your opinion.

Another way to stop time-wasting; the team that concedes a goal can kick off as soon as possible, irrespective of opposition being in their half. That'll shorten goal celebrations.

Other proposals and my thoughts...
  1. passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick - No
  2. a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch - No
  3. allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving -No
  4. a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on - No, whichever side is quickest
  5. a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball - pass
  6. a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card - Yes
  7. a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty - No
  8. the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line -Yes
  9. referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play - No
  10. a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area - Yes however if the save goes for a corner, award the corner.

• Oh - the numbered list didn't quite go to plan!

I'm open to it - it's definitely something I've heard suggested in the past and thought had merit. The current system of stoppage time that happens to almost always round up to n ear enough an exact minute is a bit of a sham.

I don't like the suggestion of passing to yourself at free-kicks.

Good idea, that.

Referees would still have to apply the time-wasting rules, though, otherwise teams could take forever to do anything, just to give their own players a breather.

I'm open to it - it's definitely something I've heard suggested in the past and thought had merit. The current system of stoppage time that happens to almost always round up to n ear enough an exact minute is a bit of a sham.

I don't like the suggestion of passing to yourself at free-kicks.

I wonder if the two suggestions will work together to be quite good. With a stopped clock you reduce the urgency to restart the game quickly (and also the advantage of being slow when seeing a result out), and so you see the situation where even in positions when teams are going for the win, the team treats every throw-in/corner as a genuine set play, rather than the frantic play we often see. I hope the ball being 'dead' and clock stopping doesn't just slow things down in general. I hate seeing someone pick up the ball for a throw in, look around, and then drop it to someone who's running 70 yards to take it (Leonard). Force the game to be quicker.

But on the flip side, allowing a 'rolling' FK means people can restart fast, and it also stops some of the annoying tendencies to surround the ball and slow things down.

Another way to stop time-wasting; the team that concedes a goal can kick off as soon as possible, irrespective of opposition being in their half. That'll shorten goal celebrations.

That won't make a big improvement: there aren't that many goals in a match compared to, say, goal kicks. Moreover, players wouldn't get to celebrate a goal at all which would make it all a bit sterile from a fan's perspective.

One change I would make is that goalkeepers should take goal kicks from the side they are nearest to.

Or refs could just grow a pair and book players for time wasting.

The idea of being able to pass to yourself at free kicks is just laughable.

The goal kick time wasting would be easy to solve. Just make it an indirect free kick like it is for drop kicks. Keeper has say 7 seconds from the time he receives/places the ball

Not in favour of US style count down clocks. One of the Joys of football is the tension of not knowing when the whistle will be blown. That has created some fantastic moments, Southend being 1-0 up v Watford FA cup round 2 replay comes to mind whilst 15,000 of us waited to invade the pitch.......On a Monday night.

Or refs could just grow a pair and book players for time wasting.

The idea of being able to pass to yourself at free kicks is just laughable.

Indeed. Other proposals that don't need the a change to the laws are are also being discussed. They include things like stopping the watch at substitutions and enforcing the 6 second rule on goalkeepers.

What about a drop kick ?

Thats specifically what I was talking about (despite linking the wrong type!). Obviously no rule for goal kicks.

Think the rule was removed a while bac, I may be wrong though.

I would like to see the phsyio come on like they do in rugby and treat the player while the game goes on and if its serious the ref can stop the game.

I'm sure it can't be just me that gets irritated by this, but I'd like to see the option for picking ends dropped from the coin toss - make it just about who kicks off first. Probably selfish, but I like to see my team kicking towards me in the second half...

Back