• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd prefer going for a someone like Paul Hurst but I think he will get the job

I'd prefer going for a someone like Paul Hurst but I think he will get the job

Same, I’m grateful for what Bond has done and got us out of the severe ****e we were in. Just not sure he is the man to push us forward. There is plenty of managers out there and we will no doubt have lots of managers interested. I think we would’ve struggled to get much interest had we been relegated.

Whoever Ron decides I have trust in him, he hasn’t really got it wrong!

A difficult decision for Ron lies ahead. Kevin Bond has an excellent reputation as a coach but not a lot of experience as a Number 1. Two key things are important for me if Bond is to be appointed: 1) he needs to have a clear idea of who needs to come in to take us to a position where we can realistically challenge for promotion to the Championship within 2 years; and 2) the right choice for his Number 2 is crucial.

Next season may be about consolidation, not least because a number of players who do not figure in the club’s medium term future are still under contract.

Yesterday’s win opens up a whole set of possibilities for our club if the right decisions are made now. If Bond has the vision and plan that Ron believes will deliver promotion to the Championship, say within 3 years, I would like to see Maher as his second so that between them they can develop a pattern of constructive, passing-based football (our footballing DNA) with a view to Maher succeeding Bond in maybe 3-5 years. A clear footballing plan, recruiting the right players to deliver it and setting up a succession plan could take us where we would all like the club to go.
I'm really not sure you can have 3 or 5 year plans in football. Things unravel too quickly. Trying to consolidate for mid table could easily end in relegation. We have to go for it and try and win the league... And then what will be will be!

He was a left field appointment and the gamble has paid off.

I like his positive early substitutions When certain players not in the best condition through lack of matches and carrying injuries need to come off. He has not been frightened to make changes, and while Kiernan will never be a midfielder, he recognised we needed more bite in midfield and that gamble has paid off.

I also think he has good coaching qualities, Elvis has really come on in the last few games under Bond.

He’s made mistakes, no Hart at Rochdale for example.

On balance I would give him the job...although not sure I like Keen as a number 2!
He wont be making the mistake of not playing Hart again. He's going back to Blackburn according to his latest Tweet on CPs Twitter?

He wont be making the mistake of not playing Hart again. He's going back to Blackburn according to his latest Tweet on CPs Twitter?

He has a year to go on his contract so was never going anywhere else.

Where anyone can imagine KB would be a negative defensive manager has me perplexed- didn’t notice in the 20 years or whatever with HR? Never saw HR put out too many “park the bus” teams?

I would rather a top coach than someone whose main attributes are screaming a lot and kicking the water bottles..

I really don't know what I would like to see for the best. Yes, there are a lot managers without jobs. In most cases, this is because they have failed in their last position.

I am not convinced by Bond, but he doesn't have any recent baggage. Really thought his team selection at Rochdale was wrong and contributed to a poor performance.

For those who criticised Chris Powell, he isn't going to get excited too often and seems pretty laid back on the touchline. Not a bad thing, but won't please many.

I am not sure but whatever decision Ron makes, it needs to be done as soon as possible.

With all the people in favour presumably there will be no complaints if we line up with one up front, two defensive holding midfielders and/or 5 at the back next season. Bond has shown defensive is his goto when he needs results.

With 2 wins out of 3 at home and 2 draws away from home he has shown that he has an ability to get results with what he had.

For the whole of his tenure he has had only 1 fit forward yet we scored 2 or more goals in half of his games. This from a team that could not even manage a shot on goal at Peterborough under the previous management.

If like Powell he opts to play 1 up front against bottom half opposition when he has fit strikers available then yes I will complain. However if his "defensive goto" means scoring 3 and 2 goals against good footballing sides then that is fine with me.

He came in to do a job. He did it. If he hadn't, (and I shudder at the thought of Elvis's cross not making it in to the box) then it would have been a different proposition.

Seemed to straight away have a clear system with the personell available. Only concern is why didn't we have a reaction at Rochdale and a couple of odd selections.However overall would be happy to see him continue....he would have a head start in identifying who he wants to bring in and I think he's earned the chance .Would be happy with the fact he can use Harry for advice when needed,but I'm sure he's his own man at his age.

I really don't know what I would like to see for the best. Yes, there are a lot managers without jobs. In most cases, this is because they have failed in their last position.

I am not convinced by Bond, but he doesn't have any recent baggage. Really thought his team selection at Rochdale was wrong and contributed to a poor performance.

For those who criticised Chris Powell, he isn't going to get excited too often and seems pretty laid back on the touchline. Not a bad thing, but won't please many.

I am not sure but whatever decision Ron makes, it needs to be done as soon as possible.

Personally I'd rather we didn't have someone who sings on the pitch, then whores himself for Bolton/England, any better job than Southend

It's actually hard to judge him without sounding contridictive. 2 wins, 2 draws (at least one should have been a win) and two poor defeats. But he was brought in to keep us up and that's what he has done. He came in with no time left to try and manage a squad in utter despair and low in confidence. He did the best he could with the time and resources in hand. I can't say the football excited me, but I'm happy to accept that that might be more to do with the squad available, time available and league position. I would hope if he gets the job we would see a better style of play. If he gets it I will absolutely get behind him he deserves that. If it's someone else then Bond will always be welcome back. Our squad when fit is a good one and the likes of Mantom and Dieng are good players who struggled like many others under the pressure we found ourselves under. I don't recall many complianing when we won 5 or 6 on the bonus earlier in the season. Macca and a Dru the same. Hopper, Demeitriou, Coker, Barrett, Hyam, Bishop didn't play yesterday for example. Robinson has been in great form for Swindon, Kelman, Hutchinson coming through. Whoever gets the job will have a good squad with talented players in it, they just need the belief and confidence to produce

Deserves the chance, we owe him that, Can we offer him a one year rolling contract, that keeps him on his toes?

One up front? Bond has played Bunn and Cox in a front two 4/6 games and Cox and Humphrys 1/6. The only game we played one up front under Bond was yesterday, were you not happy with how we approached the game yesterday? It wasn't defensive at all.

I don't understand what the problem with 5 at the back is, it's been very effective in recent weeks. He played 4 at the back against Wycombe and that was our worst game under him (or at least equal worst with Rochdale). In terms of personnel the only real mistake he made was dropping Dru and Hart at Rochdale.

It's worth remembering that he's been very limited in the choices he could make, our wingers aren't very good and he's only had one fully fit striker the whole time he's been here.

People tend to think formations are more important than they are. You can play a negative 451 or a positive one. Same with a 532, when played well it can be more of a 352. It's all about how you play it and I certainly wouldn't have called us negative against Sunderland.

A big part of the reason we did so well was because we outnumbered them in midfield, they really struggled to get a foothold, especially in the first half.

Think Bond should get the job, you can't argue with the results and he has a vast range of experience. As for him bringing in a good backroom team:

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...-bond-and-i-wish-him-well-at-southend-united/

Interested to know from those that don't think he should get the job, what other suggestions do you have?

It seems only Paul Hurst is the other option, but what if he's not interested, then who?

for me he's earned the job the hard way, our performances have improved under him and if it wasn't for so dodgy reffing we might have won at least one more game and got one more draw.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full pre-season and incorporating Theo, Cox, Humphrys and Hopper into the team.

Everybody was happy when Chris Powell became manager and look where that ended up. Supporters are supporters and that is all, they know very little apart from what they think they know. Leave it to the experts and get behind the team when the decision is made and hope for the best.

KB deserves the chance for next season, he motivated the players and we achieved league one survival what more could he have done, give him the job Ron, with more time I think KB could produce a winning side.

Step forward Harry rednapp there must be a reason he has attended home and away....... watch this space

Back