• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wh

Why would not entertaining football? He was HR no2 for many yrs? You did notice HR teams were just a little bit arrack minded?
On the evidence of the past few games. I appreciate he had a specific target, to avoid relegation, which he achieved with a safety first approach. Whether his philosophy at the start of a new season would be different is a matter of conjecture. I suspect unless he is able to inject a bit of creativity in midfield it would be a matter of grinding out a result rather than open, free flowing football.

On the evidence of the past few games. I appreciate he had a specific target, to avoid relegation, which he achieved with a safety first approach. Whether his philosophy at the start of a new season would be different is a matter of conjecture. I suspect unless he is able to inject a bit of creativity in midfield it would be a matter of grinding out a result rather than open, free flowing football.

He has spent 20 plus years coaching teams at the highest level to play passing football? Who better qualified to give you that kind of football?

He has spent 20 plus years coaching teams at the highest level to play passing football? Who better qualified to give you that kind of football?
Yes, 'highest level' is the problem. League 1 needs different skills, experience and knowledge.

Only problem with that, is he'd probably want a longer contract?.

Was just about to say the same thing, you'd have to be mad to agree to a 6 month contract at the start of a season.

I'm okay with Bond, just don't want Redknapp involved. We need someone who can stabilise/ take the club forward on a small budget.

I may be wrong, but I thought Saturday's performance showed a hint of Redknapp's motivational skills.

I am afraid I don't see why everyone wants free flowing attacking football. Just as long as we win I don't much care. Ipswich fans craved free flowing entertaining football and look where it got them.

Kevin Bond was on the phone to TalkSport yesterday with Jim White and Ian Holloway. Ian asked him about being the main man rather than the number two. He was saying he loved it before but essentially you're carrying out someone else's wishes, not your own. He is enjoying doing his own thing now.

They asked about Harry. All he said is he is Southend's biggest fan now and is enjoying watching the games. Nothing to do with input.

Bond really wants the job and was so complimentary of the fans, stating how we 'outsung' fans in their own stadiums and was so impressed with them/us.

He said the players were all willing to listen and take on board his messages in training.

Be very interesting to see what happens. Still believe he needs someone for recruitment alongside him. Whatever happens, we should all be forever grateful for what he achieved.

With all the people in favour presumably there will be no complaints if we line up with one up front, two defensive holding midfielders and/or 5 at the back next season. Bond has shown defensive is his goto when he needs results.

We needed a result on Saturday and he bought on SH. I thought that was quite an attacking move. :Winking:

How long til something is announced do we think, I know it’s the end of season period but behind the scenes with managers it’s quite a busy time with inns and outs

As much as I don’t wish to **** on anyone’s chips in the afterglow of yesterday , and the fact that Bond did what he was brought in to do , I see him as one who will set us up not to lose etc.
I think we will do ok under him , but reading forums at his previous clubs , I don’t think we will play the type of football that will excite.
Now I know it is a results based industry and we all ultimately want SUFC to win , but for me , I like to escape for a couple of hours on match day and be entertained and I don’t get that feel from him.
That said , I think he will be appointed and I will give him my support

Shame you missed the Sunderland game. I cant speak for others but I was highly entertained.

By the way we will all be escaping to see Ipswich rather than Morecambe next season because with 6 games to go all that mattered was results. We got the results and I will be entertained all Summer because of those results.

Last edited:
You’re gonna get the good and bad with any manager but I’ve been trying to focus on the good with Bond and I really liked what I saw. The 2 games we drew we were undone with very late pens, one of which was a farce. So he could be sat here with 4 wins from 6 games when we weren’t in form anywhere near that under Powell

As long as Harry was gonna remain a “supporter” I love the guy but you can’t let him near the finances. We’d be signing players on a grand a week but then have a 7k goal bonus and same again for appearances

I’d like to see Mr Bond make his own name rather than just be Harry’s mate

I would give KB the job until Christmas and then see where we are.

Yeah I'm sure he'd agree to that. :Facepalm:

He saved us from relegation. He got the players playing again and he erased 8 months of the Powell **** show. What do you lot want? Guardiola to sign on the dotted line?

We should sign him up for a decent deal and thank our lucky stars that Ron had to foresight to sack Powell and get him onboard. We need stability for a year at least to build on what we've achieved over the last six games.

What makes you think he would accept a six month or any other kind of short term contract?
A bit insulting don't you think?
My guess is that he will given a chance to stay and he will be offered a two year contract.

What makes you think he would accept a six month or any other kind of short term contract?
A bit insulting don't you think?
My guess is that he will given a chance to stay and he will be offered a two year contract.

You are probably correct. I can't see Bonds agent advising him to accept anything less than a two year contract. If Bond does get the job I hope he is allowed to bring in his own choice of number two. He hopefully would insist on that.

I hope he is allowed to bring in his own choice of number two. He hopefully would insist on that.

Yes likely.....but....what if the number two was instrumental in bringing him to Roots Hall? Somehow Keen escaped losing his job when KB was brought in. There might be some significance in that.

Back