• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tough call as we really don't know much about what his philosophy and style would be. He basically had to get a load of absolutely knackered lads, most of whom have spent prolonged periods out injured at any given point, over the line.

THE majority of Southend United fans want Kevin Bond to remain in charge of the club, an Echosport online poll has revealed.

More...

I think that whoever gets the job should be given a two year deal - despite staying up we still need to rebuild and it takes time to get the right blend of players. We need a manager to develop our younger players, alongside some experienced ones, but without those with a history of being injury prone. Given that many are still under contract a new manager will be limited as to how many changes he can make to the squad withiin one season. Is Bond the right man for the job, I don't know.

What I really liked about Kevin Bond is that he has been able to consolidate everything SCP was trying to achieve, and got the team playing as a cohesive and much better organised unit. We played attractive, attacking football when we turned up (or at least tried to), and we had some fantastic little runs and touches when we remembered to keep the ball on the deck. Obviously, with 6 games, he couldn't put his stamp on the team, and make any personnel changes- he worked with everyone who was fit (and not quite so fit) and less interested, and motivated them all to do their bit for the cause. That is no mean feat when to all intents and purposes we were already down.

From that perspective, Bond has proved his worth already. What we don't know is how many contracted players want to stay, who wants to leave, and who would stay if a contract was offered? Now L1 status is confirmed, the exodus will be smaller - I guess the next criteria is who the top job goes to?

I wouldn't be too unhappy if he stays, I think he has passed a probation period!

What I like about KB is He had the bollocks to take the job on when other names banded about may have not wanted a relegation on their CV.

Strange. Some moan about the lack of continuity in the team yet propose a quick change of manager!

I hope we get an announcement soon! Hate the limbo in between managers, and right now, at the end of the season is even worse as we want to know what's happening with players coming and going!

I hope we get an announcement soon! Hate the limbo in between managers, and right now, at the end of the season is even worse as we want to know what's happening with players coming and going!

I reckon the players want to know what’s happening as well!

Whether or not Bond is the right man for the job, I don't know, but he probably deserves a proper go at it. If he does stay, I do like the idea of Redknapp being involved in some capacity, whatever that might be.

Whether or not Bond is the right man for the job, I don't know, but he probably deserves a proper go at it. If he does stay, I do like the idea of Redknapp being involved in some capacity, whatever that might be.
I doubt we'll see much of Harry next season

Bond has been a number two for so long, I wonder how he would deal with the top job?
'Arry wouldn't have been at games unless invited. And therefore, was KB leaning on his advice? I'll be a horse's arse if otherwise.
Can see Redknapp at games as needed if Bond appointed.
I've no problem with that as long it's free. Although with Mr R, it usually in involves money!

Last edited:
8 points out of 18 saved our season,,We stayed up. As a long term manager noway IMO.He did what was asked of him over 6 games and we can thank him for that,

He made players realise that it was League1 or League 2 next year with lower wages.They responded and I think most players seem to have a love of the club and the fans.

Wonder if we'll hear anything today or tomorrow ? Impatient - a tad but the impression given was that KB & RM would hopefully sort things out "in a couple of days". Be nice to see things sorted and settled sooner rather than later.....

Back