• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
8 points out of 18 saved our season,,We stayed up. As a long term manager noway IMO.He did what was asked of him over 6 games and we can thank him for that,

He made players realise that it was League1 or League 2 next year with lower wages.They responded and I think most players seem to have a love of the club and the fans.
With better luck at Walsall and Fleetwood (Walsall especially), we could have easily picked up 12 points from 18, and this from a team that hadn't won in 15 when he took over. I think the only mistake he made was the team he picked at Rochdale, and his hands may have been slightly tied by that, otherwise he got most things spot on, including calling the players out after the Wycombe game, I think he's deserved a crack at it if he wants it.

Hurst did a great job at Shrews with huge use of loanees, if he suggested that route to Ron I do not think it would be well received as a plan for attaining growth and longer term progress. Scunny might be keener to embrace that.

8 points out of 18 saved our season,,We stayed up. As a long term manager noway IMO.He did what was asked of him over 6 games and we can thank him for that,

He made players realise that it was League1 or League 2 next year with lower wages.They responded and I think most players seem to have a love of the club and the fans.

A little bird tells me that Kiernan was most influential in that department after the Wycombe game. But Bond has changed something and is very "active" on the touchline, always looking to change things. Not sure if that's always a good thing. But credit to him in Spades, as we stayed up.

Personally I think he'll get the job because by now Ron would have said Ta-ta otherwise.

I just hope that this is resolved ASAP so whoever our Manager is next season , they have enough time to prepare in the right way.
I understand the season has only just finished, but those sides with a settled Manager are probably already planning ahead.

Kevin Bond > Chris Powell

Cannot agree mate, KB has no affinity to the club that CP had

Where as the majority hailed the messiah on his playing record as opposed to manger record, KB came in to a team looking like relegation fodder and instilled belief.
Again maybe the new manager bounce played a part, new ideas, new start etc, but surely deserves a shot at the team next season

According to Shrinmperzone its a two horse race between Bond or Hurst. I'm sure both are sitting at home hoping for an answer from Ron. The loser will have to settle for second best at some tin pot club.

Wonder what will happen if its neither and we aren't playing to well 4 games into next season.

Do any professional clubs in England have a Player Manager - that used to be quite common but appears to have fallen out of favour.

Any thoughts as to why?

Do any professional clubs in England have a Player Manager - that used to be quite common but appears to have fallen out of favour.

Any thoughts as to why?

I imagine it's difficult to juggle both roles. Management is probably hard enough especially if you're having to deal with young players who are relishing being in the limelight and all that brings (money, girls, hangers-on).

Any thoughts as to why?

For the modern manager on the pitch is a bad place to be. In fact even how his team perform on the pitch is not that important.

He should be judged on things like radio interviews and touchline antics. You can't be to loud or to to confident like PB, or to quiet like CP. Above all he should inspire me and pick the team I picked and make the subs I want.

Against Sunderland I noticed players like Kiernan, who was my MOM, jog over and take clear instructions from Bond and you could tell who was the boss. Which were all good signs, at that point I was in favour of KB getting the job.

Then I sat down in the week to enjoy the game on TV. To my horror Bond didn't do an attention seeking sprint down the touchline when we scored. Who needs a calm head who is making sure we don't blow it in injury time. I want to be entertained and professionalism even if it kept us in L1.......Just doesn't entertain or inspire me.

Why, ask any Ipswich supporter!!!

And some would tell you what you want to hear, others what I want to hear.

He was dealt a rough hand at Ipswich with a squad clearly not cut out for that league. For all the bad he did at Ipswich it doesn’t undo all the good he did at Shrewsbury.

Walsall have appointed Darrell Clarke. We must have somehting in place that has not been announced yet (KB) otherwise the continual pondering will see the best other candidates snapped up.

Has to be Bond now, Clarke at Walsall and Hurst at Scunthorpe means there aren’t any other candidates I want, disappointed we didn’t look at either of them, particularly as we are a division above both teams now

Has to be Bond now, Clarke at Walsall and Hurst at Scunthorpe means there aren’t any other candidates I want, disappointed we didn’t look at either of them, particularly as we are a division above both teams now

We may have done and didn't think they were suitable, or they may not have been interested in coming here.

Back