• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wanted Clarke, Hurst or Warburton in that order personally. Two of the three now employed with Hurst seeming certain to be appointed at Scunthorpe. So not happy with that as two will be in the basement league at what I would consider smaller clubs.

Whilst I appreciate it is less than a week since the end of the season other clubs are sorting things out quickly so hopefully we will make an appointment very soon. Expected it may well be Bond that Ron had in mind although he would not have been my choice he will get my full support.

Has to be Bond now, Clarke at Walsall and Hurst at Scunthorpe means there aren’t any other candidates I want, disappointed we didn’t look at either of them, particularly as we are a division above both teams now

Maybe they were not interested in joining us!

I’m not sure if anyone knows what’s going on with Kevin Bond was wondering what other people’s
opinions are whether he should stay or go .? Personally I think he deserves a crack at it himself he can make his own team, but if I was too pick another coach I said Steve Evans before (unpopular pick) but I really wouldn’t mind Sol Campbell, he’s a bit of a weird one ahaha but he’s done very well at Macclesfield and is really passionate don’t think it would take much to lure him away, what’s everyone else thinking ????

It could be that Ron has lined up someone for next season who was already in a job and not available when CP left ? That said, I think if KB was leaving it would have been announced by now. Really hope that Steve Evans isn't in the frame.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if anyone knows what’s going on with Kevin Bond was wondering what other people’s
opinions are whether he should stay or go .? Personally I think he deserves a crack at it himself he can make his own team, but if I was too pick another coach I said Steve Evans before (unpopular pick) but I really wouldn’t mind Sol Campbell, he’s a bit of a weird one ahaha but he’s done very well at Macclesfield and is really passionate don’t think it would take much to lure him away, what’s everyone else thinking ????
I can’t think of many managers I’d rather not have than that loony.

Sure, he should. In my opinion, he came in and saved us when we were devoid of any kind of will or confidence. In 6 weeks, he had us playing again like a team which should be nowhere near the bottom.
However, I have a horrible feeling that we are going to see Sol Campbell in the dugout next season.

I just hope that this is resolved ASAP so whoever our Manager is next season , they have enough time to prepare in the right way.
I understand the season has only just finished, but those sides with a settled Manager are probably already planning ahead.

There lies the problem, RM will probably leave it til August so he doesn't have to pay anyone in the interim.
So we will have no new signings, and no one to give them a pre season stamina test.

Hope I'm wrong, but if he couldn't pay the players on time (again) in the last week of the season, then he sure won't want to be paying a manager sitting around for 3 months

( awaits backlash)

Sure, he should. In my opinion, he came in and saved us when we were devoid of any kind of will or confidence. In 6 weeks, he had us playing again like a team which should be nowhere near the bottom.
However, I have a horrible feeling that we are going to see Sol Campbell in the dugout next season.

Nah.

Bond would have gone by now if he wasn't in the frame for next season.

Nah.

Bond would have gone by now if he wasn't in the frame for next season.

Surely Ron can't leave it too much longer to make an announcement - the players need to know what is happening (not to mention us supporters !)

Sure, but how do we know he hasn’t gone?

Fair point... but I think we would know pretty quickly if he was given the push. I guess they are still in negotiations.

Surely Ron can't leave it too much longer to make an announcement - the players need to know what is happening (not to mention us supporters !)
The supporters are the last to know. We don't matter in the grand scheme of things to be honest. Give us the mushroom treatment and we still blindly follow our heroes regardless of what happens. But in the words of Bruce Hornsby, it's just the way it is.

Maybe they were not interested in joining us!

Do me a favour. Walsall and Scunthorpe in League Two are not as good a proposition as us in league one. No question. This odd belief that we don’t compare with any other football league club is cobblers, IMO. We do. We are a better prospect than any league two team and better than many in league one.

His earned a chance in my opinion, but I would only offer him a year with a clause for another. It might seem harsh but I don't see him as the guy we build our future around.

I also don't see why clubs haven't wised up about manager contracts, offer sensible lengths and use performance based actions...

Last edited:
Do me a favour. Walsall and Scunthorpe in League Two are not as good a proposition as us in league one. No question. This odd belief that we don’t compare with any other football league club is cobblers, IMO. We do. We are a better prospect than any league two team and better than many in league one.

I don't agree we are better prospect than any League Two team and many in League One and besides joining a team in League Two, which should be fighting for promotion (as they have just been relegated) might give you a better chance of building your reputation back up; rather than a struggling League One team and one in which you can't change too much, as most of the squad are still under contract.

There could be many other reasons as well; however, at the end of the day, neither you or I know what happened and why the have gone where they have.

Perhaps, but Chris Phillips just tweeted that Darrell Clarke was keen on our job too

He's an out of work football manager (well he was :Smile:), I expect he would say he's keen on any managerial opening; unlikely to say he isn't.

Its really quite simple. Any potential manager with a current stock, will look at Southend and think. If Bond doesn't get the job its not the club I would want to work for anyway.

Just get your finger out Ron and announce who takes charge of the club . To give who ever a full window to bring players in .And release those he doesn't want .

Back