• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
He came in with 8 games to go and got the job done, so simple question really.

Should he have the job next season?

Yes
Where others didn’t want a relegation on their CV or wanted to be sure of managing in L1 he grabbed the chance with no guarantees he would get the job permanently. 6 games - 2w 2d 2l is decent when you take over a side in free fall who have not won in 17
He is apparently one of the very best coaches out there and deserves his chance as a number 1
Actually I am quite excited to see what he can do with a good pre season on the training ground. It certainly won’t be route 1
I am sure all of a sudden others will want the job- RM is not a fickle character- suspect he will give KB his opportunity

Don’t see why not... He’s in the seat and kept us up.

Does he want it though?

He told Sky of course he would love the job but needs to chat with Ron over the next couple of days to see what his thoughts are

Difficult one, that. Whoever takes us next season isn't going to have work largely with existing personnel - we've got too many under contract unless we're lucky and other clubs take them off our hands. I look at Bond and wonder if he's the best guy to get a tune out of a squad that does need changes. I agree with some of the things he did such as Kiernan in midfield (although our deficiencies in there were fairly obvious) but I look at other things he did (still chopping and changing the back 4) and wonder if our staying up is as much luck as judgement.
Whatever we're doing we need to do quickly. I'm kind of hoping Ron has been using the last few weeks to do his homework and a new face will come in soon. There may be managers he spoke to before appointing Bond who didn't fancy a punt on us with 6 games to go, but would be more interested now we've survived. There's a counter argument of course that if they wouldn't take the risk, why should we reward them now.

If it wasn't for poor refereeing at Walsall it would be 3 wins out of 6 so I don't see why not, he's clearly been a good influence on the squad and you'd hope with 'arry as a mate he'd have good contacts to improve the squad next season.

He was a left field appointment and the gamble has paid off.

I like his positive early substitutions When certain players not in the best condition through lack of matches and carrying injuries need to come off. He has not been frightened to make changes, and while Kiernan will never be a midfielder, he recognised we needed more bite in midfield and that gamble has paid off.

I also think he has good coaching qualities, Elvis has really come on in the last few games under Bond.

He’s made mistakes, no Hart at Rochdale for example.

On balance I would give him the job...although not sure I like Keen as a number 2!

100%.

Why is this even a discussion? A fella to have the bollocks to take a job with a impending relegation that others would’ve shyed away from...

I’m not sure “luck” came into it much. He turned a team of turncoats bottle jobs into a solid group of players in a few weeks.

To all the “better” managers that wanted to see where we would be @ the end of the season. **** you, we don’t need you.

I think we should get this sorted ASAP for continuity but also think we should clarify redknapps role if he is going to be involved on an on/going basis.

UTB

I have misgivings about how successful he’ll be long term, but it’s hard to say no after he’s kept us up.

He's seen the best, and he's seen the worst of this squad. If he wants the job, I would be more than happy to see him given it on a permanent contract.

I wonder if he does get the job whether Ron will have Harry in as a Director if Football?

I don't see why not; team seemed fitter under him, so that's likely to improve more with a full pre-season with them.

Did make some strange decisions (what manager doesn't though!) like leaving Dru out last week, but did keep us up.

If he stays I hope he has someone else than KK as his assistant; he needs someone with some bite and fright, vocal and a foil as I have seen KB just be an observer for long periods of games when more direction from the sidelines was needed (CP suffered in this way too).
KK may be a good coach, our set pieces have shown some improvement, he seems a nice bloke but IMO a "bad cop" is needed to KB and KK's "good cop" style.

I might be in the miniority but I wouldn’t automatically give it to him. Love him for keeping us up, but I have question marks over how good he would be longer term. He’s done a fairly good job since he came in, but made some big mistakes along the way. We’d be mad not to at least have a look and see what other, potentially better, managers are available.

Having said that, I think Ron will give it to him.

I might be in the miniority but I wouldn’t automatically give it to him. Love him for keeping us up, but I have question marks over how good he would be longer term. He’s done a fairly good job since he came in, but made some big mistakes along the way. We’d be mad not to at least have a look and see what other, potentially better, managers are available.

Having said that, I think Ron will give it to him.
A week is a long time in football, clearly. His team selection last week was awful, and there’ll be plenty of managers available for us to look at

Give it to Bond he done the job and kept us up. Anyone who's only interested in the job now all the hard work has been done by him doesn't really deserve it.

I think I will reserve judgement for the moment. We have escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth so that is a plus in his favour, but we also had some appalling displays with him at the tiller. I'm not convinced I want Harry R near the club but I could be persuaded on him. I just remember that we welcomed CP with open arms and he took us on a run towards the end of the previous season. We all know what happened this time round which is why I'm not sure. After all, this poll wont go away will it?

Back