• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should England Ditch St. George?

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
I heard on the radio this morning that some historians would like to ditch St. George as the Patron Saint of England in favour of this guy:

St Edmund

Their argument was quite interesting and included the following:

• There is proof he existed whereas there isn't really any proof that St George did.
  • He is English
  • He was the Patron Saint of England before St George usurped him at some point.

For clarity, I'm not asking if he WILL replace St. George (as these historians would like), I'm asking if you think he SHOULD.

I think we should ditch St George and use a logo like The Little Chef to represent our country.

legend and lore are really past it, old stuff; if we want a proper British hero as a National figurehead then it MUST simply be the saviour of the world Winston Churchill.

No other country has a patron saint that killed all the dragons....

I dont see any dragons flying around nowadays so he must have done a proper job :winking::net:

Agree. This is why I didn't go to see the recent Sherlock Holmes film with Robert Downey Jr in.
but that was quite good... shame about all modern sherlock holmes stories missing the part where he does cocaine all the time :P

As I suggested earlier we need a national Winston Day, when we can really BIG up a British hero, the whole UK including north of the border; & all drink copious amounts and smoke cigars while pontificating on saving the world and especially the Frenchies.

Back