• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should football fans be allowed to drink beer in their seats?

Should football fans be allowed to drink alcohol in their seats?

• Yes

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 81.4%

• Total voters
No. It's fine during pre-season, works well in fact. But add in the pure hostility of fans towards each other coupled with the young oiks who like to get beered ip every game anyway and you'd be asking for trouble.

It’s allowed below this league, but not for FA Cup games. Generally speaking, the ones at Maidstone most likely to cause trouble are too young to drink. I‘ll miss taking a beer onto the terracing before the game starts, but I can cope without a drink for a couple of hours. No way I’m going to queue up at halftime and guzzle a pint in two minutes. No idea what we make on beer, but it will have an effect on finances.

It would appear from recent pitch invasions and assault on Billy Sharp that stupidity, infantile mentality is more to blame than simply drinking beer.
And imo it is lager chemical fizzy pop which rowdies neck and lose cerebralfunction on, not proper beer which is more usually quaffed by more "quality over quantity over cheapness gentler folk.

It’s allowed below this league, but not for FA Cup games. Generally speaking, the ones at Maidstone most likely to cause trouble are too young to drink. I‘ll miss taking a beer onto the terracing before the game starts, but I can cope without a drink for a couple of hours. No way I’m going to queue up at halftime and guzzle a pint in two minutes. No idea what we make on beer, but it will have an effect on finances.

I found myself at a Dulwich Hamlet game last season, it seemed like pretty much everyone was treating the occasion like a big beery gathering rather than a football match; certainly most of the punters were more interested in their pint than the game and it made for a strange atmosphere. Impressive attendances for a step 2 side with no league pedigree, however I should imagine their finances will take a big hit if they do get promoted...

It would appear from recent pitch invasions and assault on Billy Sharp that stupidity, infantile mentality is more to blame than simply drinking beer.
And imo it is lager chemical fizzy pop which rowdies neck and lose cerebralfunction on, not proper beer which is more usually quaffed by more "quality over quantity over cheapness gentler folk.
I would like to associate myself with your comment regarding the thug who attacked Billy Sharp.

As for your damning generalisation on those of us who enjoy the Amber Nectar I really couldn't give a Castlemaine XXXX. Cheers (hic).

Last edited:
I found myself at a Dulwich Hamlet game last season, it seemed like pretty much everyone was treating the occasion like a big beery gathering rather than a football match; certainly most of the punters were more interested in their pint than the game and it made for a strange atmosphere. Impressive attendances for a step 2 side with no league pedigree, however I should imagine their finances will take a big hit if they do get promoted...
Dulwich are unusual in that it is often said large numbers have their back to the game while chatting. A lack of terracing doesn’t help with some unable to see much because the ground is so full; something that won’t change even if their new ground is built. There seems To be a tension between the hipster types who remade the club and newer fans. A victim of their own success.

It seems to work well at the likes of Bowers & Pitsea and East Thurrock but that might be down to the food on sale as well. They both do a decent burger, chips etc where Southend's offerings are, shall we say, questionable. You are more likely to see fans with pint in one hand and a burger in the other (which buggers you up for a tear up) and a bit of grub helps soak up the booze as we all know. Totally different level I know but I've never seen anyone come to blows who looks or is acting half cut.

Seen booze-fuelled confrontation at both Bowers and ETU, the former at an a youth cup game when a home ‘fan’ when apesh*t and threatened a parent of one of the opposition….. and that in a crowd of 100 or so. At ETU a home regular wanted to take on all-comers before the game had even started! There again neither are the nicest of clubs, far from it.

Back