• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Payne become a regular starter?

• Yes

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 29 23.0%

• Total voters

amsemp

Director⭐
After several pretty impressive and creative performances of late, should Payne become a regular starter as we look to create more chances?

Isn't this a bit premature. He's had a couple of good substitute appearances and suddenly we need to decide if he should be a regular starter. Not just should he start on Friday, but should he start regularly.

The only sensible choice is not sure because we don't know how well he will do as a starter at all yet.

Isn't this a bit premature. He's had a couple of good substitute appearances and suddenly we need to decide if he should be a regular starter. Not just should he start on Friday, but should he start regularly.

The only sensible choice is not sure because we don't know how well he will do as a starter at all yet.

Understand what you're saying. Only asked the question as I've heard quite a few people suggesting he should be a starter given his creativity and our lack of goals.

We're unbeaten in 4 in the league, and won our last 2. I'm not sure why we'd want to bring in an unproven 18 year old into the starting 11, irrespective of some good substitute appearances. He seems more like a good option as a sub than a 90 min player, at the moment.

Not yet. I really like the kid but lets keep him as an impact sub for the time being.

Ultimately, Phil Brown sees him at training every day and knows how well he is developing and his ability to start in the first team. I think he's great as an impact sub and we know that he can start if we need him.

I would say protect him at present and use him from the bench, an impact sub suits him best at the moment. After all, it is a long season and come post Xmas his freshness youthfull energy will be vital.

If we do start him in the odd game then I would think he would be better suited at home.

not yet he has the tools to become a very good player so lets not ruch him

Give him time.

I like the look of him but he does need to actually produce and not just look 'lively'.

Definitely needs to get more game time but not start just yet.

Probably most effective as a sub atm, if he gets tired quickly compared to the opposition players he'd be useless starting.

Yes from me, he seems the only one we have that runs at the oppositions defence, I'm getting sick of our constant balls out wide, our crosses never seem to go anywhere, why don't we just shoot at the target a bit more

Yes from me, he seems the only one we have that runs at the oppositions defence, I'm getting sick of our constant balls out wide, our crosses never seem to go anywhere, why don't we just shoot at the target a bit more

Yes he is probably the best dribbler in the side but I would not put him straight in just on that.

Impact sub is his best role at the moment...keep giving him experience much like was done with Bentley, Moussa, Ferdinand etc..

We do run the risk of losing him as he is technically better than this level...but if we lose him it will be for money and that is only a good thing at this time. Plus I doubt we would ever see his full potential at league 2 level anyway.

Wouldn't change the side personally at the moment but I think he is a good player and a great prospect. Love his cameo's at the moment and I am excited to see him develop.

Been to every game this season. He is a great prospect, and he goes on lovely mazy direct runs, but am
a little concerned regards the other parts of his game. Can give the ball away with his over enthuasim and put his teammates in trouble.
Not nearly as good as anyone in our midfield yet over 90 mins yet. However as a impact sub for 15 minutes. Well worth his place on the bench. And remember Marc Laird will walk straight back into this side!!

Won 2 Drawn 2 of out last 4 league games, so unless through injury or international duty why change a winn ing team, you dont repair a car when its not broken.Seems from your threads that Payne is doing an awesome job coming on as a sub with 5 to 20 minutes remaining, so for now why change, let the young man gain in experience ,his time will come just as Bentleys and leonards has.

Not at this precise moment, but I think he has great talent and will become a regular starter with time, he's a player who will excite the fans and make things happen. Only downside for me is you won't be able to play him in his favoured position because he doesn't offer much defensively. Perhaps playing wide would suit us and him more.

Back