• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Prince Harry be allowed to serve in Iraq?

Should Prince Harry be allowed to serve in IRAQ?

• Total voters

Jam_Man

Life President
Lot of discussion about Harry going to Iraq and whether he should go as a troop commander.

The argument is that if he is leading a squad not only will they be targeted more by insurgents, but other troops in the Scimitar vehicles he would use would also be attacked more often.

Personally seems daft to protect him, but if it does mean attacks on troops increase you have to wonder whether its safe.

Last edited:
He signed up and as he has said this is what he joined for, so let him get on with it. The powers that be should treat him as they would anyone else, just like he has asked.

Good on the young prince

fom day 1 they have insisted Harry will be treated equally and just because the terrorist have predicatably made a threat, all of a sudden theres seconds thoughts.

Maybe they could disguise him by shaving his head, giving him false boobs and despatch him as Private Hufty.

He'll end up sitting in an Ops Room as a Watchkeeper. Methinks his OC needs to explain to Harry that whilst he might want to lead his men in battle, does he want to be responsible for one of them getting seriously hurt/killed, just because of who he is?

There's a simple solution to this and one that I am surprised no-one has mentioned yet - send Matt Harrold . The insurgents will never be able to tell the difference - unless of course they have a kick about in the barracks and 'Harry' suddenly starts playing crap .

The Club might even get a decent fee for him - his Dad's got a few bob hasn't he ?

Here is an intresteing plan.. Why not send him out there but not broadcast the fact in every newspaper and on the BBC.. Shave his bonce, dye his hair and let him get on with his job.. Surely we have a 'Harry U Like' we can park outside a few poncy nightclubs and have photographed on Caribean Islands hanging out the back of that Chelsy belter.. ? .
I can see the film now.. 'I was Harrys double'

Last edited:
I would suggest that the only people who are qualified to comment on this are the ones like chadded who are either current serving members of our armed forces, or those who have served and been in war zones.

He'll end up sitting in an Ops Room as a Watchkeeper. Methinks his OC needs to explain to Harry that whilst he might want to lead his men in battle, does he want to be responsible for one of them getting seriously hurt/killed, just because of who he is?

Exactly the point I tried to make on this a couple of months ago when this topic was raised. As far as I'm aware you are the only current serving squaddie on these boards, so I think the points you make are pretty relevant rather than the just send him in at own risk etc.

I admire Harry's determination to be 'normal' and to be treated like anyone else, however the bottom line is he is not normal.

I personally believe if it puts others in harms way it shouldn't happen. I don't care about this "They signed up, so should risk being killed" attitude, I actually think it is quite disrespectable to guys like chadded who are currently serving. Although I'm sure chadded like others are fully aware of the risks they took when signing up, I don't think they would have ever expected to line up next to Prince Harry in Iraq, which would have just made their unit number one target in the whole world to attack!

Whilst the "working class" boys are getting killed the powers that be can turn a blind eye to the calls for all troops to come home from this waste of life being perpetrated in the name of Bush's oil. Perhaps Harry's inclusion in this conflict may have the effect of closing this sorry affair.

He joined the Army, if people didn't want him shot at I am sure he could have been persuaded to join the post office or something.

I am sure there are plenty of mothers who would not like their son out there but they have no say.

As for him being a threat to his fellow troops by being in active combat, if that is the case why did they recruit him in the first place, surely someone would have thought of this as they were discussing his application for Sandhurst ?

He is currently 3rd in line for the throne and thats assuming that between now and Queenie popping her clogs , Charlie goes, and William also departs before he has spread his royal seed......Hardly sounds irreplacable does he

Get him out there. If it's good enough for the plebian masses then it's good enough for the Half German Nazi costume wearing, Sloane shagging chinless inbred royal parasite ginger.

As you can see I'm not a royalist. :D

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief I just read that. So just because he is a royal, it doesn't matter whether he dies? Personally, I find that a completely non-human way of thinking.

The life of a 18yr old squaddie X from any town in Britain is just as important. Let's face it, none of them should be there.

The life of a 18yr old squaddie X from any town in Britain is just as important. Let's face it, none of them should be there.

Exactly. So there is not a single one out there who is 'hardly irreplaceable'. And 18 year old lad would be somebody's Son/Brother or even a Dad and I don't think they would consider them replaceable just because Harry was not irreplaceable.

Bottom line for me is, if I had a son in the army I'd respect their wishes to sign up for such a tough, courageous career and if they had to go to Iraq to fight for something they wanted to do so badly then so be it. However, I would be absolutely furious if I knew they were sending Harry to fight next to him as some sort of publicity stunt just because Harry wanted to be treated 'normal' and put my son's life at risk even more than it already was. As chadded said before, if he goes, him and his whole unit have just been made target number one across Iraq.

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief I just read that. So just because he is a royal, it doesn't matter whether he dies? Personally, I find that a completely non-human way of thinking.

That is not what I was implying.

I was trying to say that his "king potential" is no reason for preferential treatment

That is not what I was implying.

I was trying to say that his "king potential" is no reason for preferential treatment

Ok, apologies for mis-reading it. Probably didn't help after reading all sh*te from TTK that SUFC were the worst club in the country so expected the worst from that above statement too!

However, to the terrorists out there fighting he is King potential and so will be targetted. That's the point which chadded tried to originally put across, which implied to me he wouldn't feel comfortable standing next to him!!

it's times like this that i really hate the press/media... i couldn't give a toss where harry is right now, over here or in iraq etc... so let him get on with the job he is trained to do in privacy and for his and his collegues security. i feel sorry for him because all he wants is to be treated like everyone else, and the army is supposed to be a place where you can do that. however now that every detail about his deployment is printed in every newspaper and reported on all the news it looks like he can't go (which is probably the sensible choice for the security of him and his lads)

Maybe they can use him as a decoy to draw the Tailban out, then spring an ambush.. Ok Harry cops a few rounds first but they can work wonders those Doctors these days!

I would suggest that the only people who are qualified to comment on this are the ones like chadded who are either current serving members of our armed forces, or those who have served and been in war zones.

I have seen Codename Wild Geese twice and watched a few episodes of Ultimate Force so I think I am more than qualified to comment on this matter.

I say let Harry serve in Iraq. It can only serve to focus the eyes of the world even harder on the situation over there. I am sure the Army know what they are doing and will not endager lives unecessarily.

As a footnote I am thinking of producing a limited edition run of 'Royal tour of duty - Iraq 2007' commemorative tea towels to sell Mail/Express readers.

Does anyone want to come in with me on this venture?

Last edited:
I've changed my mind. To protect the lives of the everyday working squaddies, let the ginger inbred rot in Buckingham palace so he can **** my taxes away.

Back