• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should private schools be abolished?

Should private schools be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • No opinion/neutra/l etc

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
No they shouldn't, people have the right to pay for education as much as people have the right to a free one.

No they shouldn't, people have the right to pay for education as much as people have the right to a free one.

What about the "fairness" argument, ie that's its unfair to those parents who can't afford to send their parents to private schools?

Also the argument that private schools create a two tier education system and thus a divisive society?

What about the "fairness" argument, ie that's its unfair to those parents who can't afford to send their parents to private schools?

Also the argument that private schools create a two tier education system and thus a divisive society?

I can't afford a Ferrari but I know a bloke who has got 2. Is that fair? Yes, course it is, he can afford it I can't. I wouldn't suggest Ferraris should be abolished because I cant afford one.

You could make the same argument for Private healthcare but I bet you've got something in place.

Is it fair someone gets to drive a Ferrari and I don't.

I can't afford a Ferrari but I know a bloke who has got 2. Is that fair? Yes, course it is, he can afford it I can't. I wouldn't suggest Ferraris should be abolished because I cant afford one.

You could make the same argument for Private healthcare but I bet you've got something in place.

Surely education is a basic human right? Whereas owning a Ferrari obviously isn't. (Can't say I fancy one,either, myself).

(As for your private healthcare question, I've never in my life taken out private medical insurance, (which is precisely why I had to fork out 100 euros for dental work yesterday and 200 euros + for an MRI scan last week,despite having a Catalan health card.Outrageous but sometimes it's necessary).

If we stop private education in favour of free....where is the money coming from to pay to absorb the extra kids into a system that it is already buckling under the weight of pupil numbers?
Do we also ban private health care on the basis that it is unfair that some can't afford it?
where does it stop?

If we stop private education in favour of free....where is the money coming from to pay to absorb the extra kids into a system that it is already buckling under the weight of pupil numbers?
Do we also ban private health care on the basis that it is unfair that some can't afford it?
where does it stop?

Do you want a more equal society or not? Education is key to that.

(This on a day when nurses are debating whether to charge patients 10 quid for a doctor's visit).

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/18/nurses-debate-10-fee-to-visit-gp

Surely education is a basic human right? Whereas owning a Ferrari obviously isn't. (Can't say I fancy one,either, myself).

(As for your private healthcare question, I've never in my life taken out private medical insurance, (which is precisely why I had to fork out 100 euros for dental work yesterday and 200 euros + for an MRI scan last week,despite having a Catalan health card.Outrageous but sometimes it's necessary).

It is. That's why we have a state education system.:thump:

See the two tier and divisiness arguments above.:dim:

That's a separate argument. Every child in this country is eligible for a very decent free (at point of access) education. That to me is satisfying the human right for education (and health care etc).

Abolish the private education system and see EVERY child's education suffer at the same time. Entirely destructive idea but hey, at least it's "fair"...

Would we (could we?) then ban parents paying for additional private tuition?

Surely a more feasible middle ground is to tax private education (the fees and the institutions) and divert revenue into non-private education? Oh yes, we do that already.

I'd actually consider the opposite and offer sliding scale tax incentives to drive more people into private education and improve education all round.

That's a separate argument. Every child in this country is eligible for a very decent free (at point of access) education. That to me is satisfying the human right for education (and health care etc).

Oxford and Cambridge offer about 40% of places to privately educated pupils.....

Simple question.

What's your opinion?

Personally I believe they should-and I went to a local one for a while as a kid.

There's an excellent article on the subject by ex-Grammar School boy Alan Bennett in the LRB,which you can link to here:-

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/17/alan-bennett-attack-private-education-lecture-wrong

The Guardian know a thing or two about private education. A large number of their columnists ate privately educated and many chose to privately educate their own children

In the meantime they pick up a very nice salary for writing about how unfair life is in coalition Britain.

How is this equal society going to be paid for?

By taxing those who can afford to pay more.

Abolish the private education system and see EVERY child's education suffer at the same time. Entirely destructive idea but hey, at least it's "fair"...

Would we (could we?) then ban parents paying for additional private tuition?

Surely a more feasible middle ground is to tax private education (the fees and the institutions) and divert revenue into non-private education? Oh yes, we do that already.

I'd actually consider the opposite and offer sliding scale tax incentives to drive more people into private education and improve education all round.

What about ending tax relief for those parents who send their children to private schools and ending the charitable status which private schools enjoy?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-justify-their-charitable-status-8835283.html

No problem with private schools. Not every kid who attends them becomes a sucess, nor does every kid who attends a state school become a failure. If I had the money, MK Jnr would be going to one of them as my education was pretty lamentable.

Religious schools however.......:angry:

By taxing those who can afford to pay more.

You must mean for example the bloke who pays earns 30000 and pays 22% and therefore already pays more in pounds and pence than the bloke who earns 20,000, and also the bloke who earns 50,000 and pays substantially more at the same rate and a load more at a higher rate.

I thought you were talking about fairness not ability to pay. If you are talking about ability to pay, and some people have the ability and the inclination to pay for Private education, why take that away?

You can't have it both ways Barna.

Back