• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Shilton have smashed Maradona ???

duncan bulgaria

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Woman
Had a good old row last night between my pals and all steams from me not being able to get out of my head how a 5ft 6 player albeit with his hand managed to beat a GK of Shilton's class in a 50/50 .

Was saying that as a player i always want my GK to be strong and commanding , and IMO when that ball was up for grabs on that fateful night that Shilts should of nailed Maradona and instead went in like a poof with no heart in it and it still ****s me off . He should of either stayed on his line or come out like he meant it .

Many of my pals reckon that Shilts had no chance with it but i can't agree , shilts didn't even get off the ground , a bit like the 1990 semi final when Paul Parkers deflection looped over his head ( and i say loooped very tamely ), my pal played under PP for Chelmsford and reckoned that Parker used to get so much stick for it when in fact it was a lame attempt by Shilts .

A few of them also believe that if Shilts would of stayed on his line Maradona would of brought the ball down and slammed it home , again something which i can't see , as the ball was going over his head .

Thoughts ???

I think Shilton was in a bit of a tough position. There is no way he could have anticipated Steve Hodge making such a stupid back pass.

In terms of Italia 90 I reckon you're right there. Shilton was so slow by then. He dived the right way for every West German penalty, but didn't save any. A great keeper, but was over the hill by then. If Sansome had been in goal we'd have won the World Cup. Possibly.

I'm with you on this one! As keepers ourselves, my brother & I always argued over this point & the Shilton vs Clemence debate! We were both big fans of Clemence & always rated him above Shilts. Shilts was a show off & made easy saves look spectacular, unlike Clemence.

As for the Maradona bit, I made sure I went for crosses 100%, as if you didn't you lost the ball or got hurt! I know that I broke a few noses & knocked out a few strikers by doing this, but it saved me a few clatterings! Its all part of the game & you should never be scared of attacking ball, unlike Mr Shilton!

I think Shilton was in a bit of a tough position. There is no way he could have anticipated Steve Hodge making such a stupid back pass.

In terms of Italia 90 I reckon you're right there. Shilton was so slow by then. He dived the right way for every West German penalty, but didn't save any. A great keeper, but was over the hill by then. If Sansome had been in goal we'd have won the World Cup. Possibly.

Shilts didn't like being sent the wrong way & nearly always waited to see where the ball was going before diving that way. Too late!! Nearly all keepers guess & there there is a knack for guessing at the level we play. I've shared it with a few people & its right 80% of the time!

I'm with you on this one! As keepers ourselves, my brother & I always argued over this point & the Shilton vs Clemence debate! We were both big fans of Clemence & always rated him above Shilts. Shilts was a show off & made easy saves look spectacular, unlike Clemence.

As for the Maradona bit, I made sure I went for crosses 100%, as if you didn't you lost the ball or got hurt! I know that I broke a few noses & knocked out a few strikers by doing this, but it saved me a few clatterings! Its all part of the game & you should never be scared of attacking ball, unlike Mr Shilton!

Agreed , i have always been taught to go in hard on the keeper on the first corner of a game , just get the corner taker to float the ball under the bar and in you go , always kept with that theory and you get to see whether they have bollox or not .

This was instilled in us by a certain Mr cusack whom i spent a season alongside in the senior league as a 16 year old whilst he was playing for Basildon , the guy was ****ing hard as many know and had no time for poofs .

In the twilight of my football days now and only 2 months ago put the keeper into the back off the net , unfortunatly i came off worse and cracked my ribs , but its all part of the game .

Keepers as you said always like to do the same to CF's and its something that Shilts should of done that game , even if he didn't get the ball Maradona should of been flattened that day . Back then you'd of been unlucky if you got a yellow for doing things like that.

Still leaves a bitter taste , that bit of keeping .

Agreed , i have always been taught to go in hard on the keeper on the first corner of a game , just get the corner taker to float the ball under the bar and in you go , always kept with that theory and you get to see whether they have bollox or not .

This was instilled in us by a certain Mr cusack whom i spent a season alongside in the senior league as a 16 year old whilst he was playing for Basildon , the guy was ****ing hard as many know and had no time for poofs .

In the twilight of my football days now and only 2 months ago put the keeper into the back off the net , unfortunatly i came off worse and cracked my ribs , but its all part of the game .

Keepers as you said always like to do the same to CF's and its something that Shilts should of done that game , even if he didn't get the ball Maradona should of been flattened that day . Back then you'd of been unlucky if you got a yellow for doing things like that.

Still leaves a bitter taste , that bit of keeping .

If we played each other, that first corner would have been interesting!! Hopefully I MIGHT make a bit of a comeback. Not sure how screws & a plate would hold up, so I may do a Shilts & bottle it!!

:scared:

Shilts didn't like being sent the wrong way & nearly always waited to see where the ball was going before diving that way. Too late!! Nearly all keepers guess & there there is a knack for guessing at the level we play. I've shared it with a few people & its right 80% of the time!

Very true. I remember a guy on some TV programme producing computer-generated images of how much closer Shilton would have got to the German penalties had he dived at the precise moment each ball was kicked, rather than waiting that extra split-second to see which way it had gone.

It is indeed a very flawed technique and probably why I don't remember Shilts making a single penalty save in my lifetime (though I'm sure he probably did).

Then? Then? How do think one of us felt when we signed him as a publicity stunt six years later?!

I don't know, but I peed myself laughing!! :D

I've got the programme from his 1000th game somewhere. Is it worth anything yet?

Back