• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should the Burkha be banned?

Should the Burkha be banned

• Yes good idea

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No leave things as there are

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Bart

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
As we learned recently, Britain won't be joining France in banning the Burkha. So what is everyone's take on this news?

I know of a few retailers that already have banned people from wearing the religious garment in their shops, as they see it no different from someone coming in wearing a hoody.

Should shops/banks/stations etc wish them to be removed for security reasons then they should be allowed to, the same way motorcycle helmets have to be removed.

General wearing of them around streets etc I dont see the problem.

Yes, ban it NOW!!!

There's a group on FB, and there is some interesting 'discussions' about the subject.

It appears that the Muslims on there, believe they are being picked on and opressed etc. They see it as we are challenging their beliefs.

There's a group on FB, and there is some interesting 'discussions' about the subject.

It appears that the Muslims on there, believe they are being picked on and opressed etc. They see it as we are challenging their beliefs.

Surely the women who are forced to wear them are the ones being picked on and oppressed.
I heard the French law fines someone E100 for wearing one, by E30,000 for making someone else wear one.

Tricky one this.

I've a few muslim friends, and they all despise the burkha. While the koran recommends dressing modestly, it says nothing about the burkha. It's a cultural symbol, much like the Christian crucifix. There's nothing directing Christians to buy cheap tat, but they do it anyway.

The burkha is not representative of true Islam, therefore maybe it should be banned. However, it'd be a **** state of affairs when politicians can dictate what we can and can't wear. Some muslims wear the burkha out of choice, and perhaps like the protection it gives in a shallow western society.

In short, there's arguments for both sides, and I can't reach a conclusion, I've wasted my time and your time. Good night chaps.

Surely the women who are forced to wear them are the ones being picked on and oppressed.
I heard the French law fines someone E100 for wearing one, by E30,000 for making someone else wear one.

I agree. A lot of 'modernised' Muslims find them very offensive and point blank refuse to wear them.

I must admit i'm not big on Islamic beliefs, but am I right in saying that their bible doesn't actually say women must wear them? It is people's (extreme) interpretation of the religion that says they should wear them.

I think it should be banned as I find it a massive security risk. It's not about picking on Muslims in general, but any nutter, white, black, yellow, can kit themselves out in one and commit a crime. You wouldn't be allowed to walk into a bank wearing a balaclava, so why should this be any different?

Not a problem for me as long as its worn freely by the wearer,but around these rural parts of france a lot of munters should be made to wear a burka by law,inbreading is not easy on the eye.

I've a few muslim friends, and they all despise the burkha. While the koran recommends dressing modestly, it says nothing about the burkha. It's a cultural symbol, much like the Christian crucifix. There's nothing directing Christians to buy cheap tat, but they do it anyway.

The only difference being that a crucifix couldn't be used to conceal one's identity.

The only difference being that a crucifix couldn't be used to conceal one's identity.

True, but if film has taught us anything, it's that Christian clothing lends itself to deviant activity.

Nuns_on_the_run_poster.jpg

The majority choose to wear them and arent oppressed....

Personally think they are absurd and its rather sad anyone believes they should have to cover up, but as I said earlier as long as they 'unveil' in shops/stations/banks etc then dont see the problem.

I don't find it offensive to be honest, I find it just plain weird, at the end of the day, how can you actually create a relationship with someone that has a bag on their head.

If I started wearing one, what would everybody think?

banned from where? For security purposes people wearing any clothing that conceals their identity should be made to remove it, but out and about I don't think we should really be dictating what people can and can't wear - isn't that just the same as the muslims make women wear them?

I think everything has been summed up nicely without the usual aggro that these topic sometimes cause. They've got nothing to do with Islam and I don't like them at all. I think they should be banned if you have a job dealing with the public, such as a teacher for example, but on the whole, if these women are brainwashed enough to think they're being "free" then let them get on with it.

Back