• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should the Burkha be banned?

Should the Burkha be banned

• Yes good idea

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No leave things as there are

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Bart

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
I think everything has been summed up nicely without the usual aggro that these topic sometimes cause. They've got nothing to do with Islam and I don't like them at all. I think they should be banned if you have a job dealing with the public, such as a teacher for example, but on the whole, if these women are brainwashed enough to think they're being "free" then let them get on with it.

What he said.

I'm a bit uneasy about the law dictating what people can and can't wear. They're bloody stupid things, but looking stupid should remain a personal choice.

An example of how "tradition" like this has supplanted original teaching, and becomes the end in itself rather than a means to an end.

True story, taken from the Doctor in question's autobiography: This Doctor took a post in a Saudi hospital. One day, a very "rural" man came in with his wife, she dressed in the bhurka. The Doctor knew that he was going to have to perform a fairly intimate exam on the lady, and was frankly rather concerned about how this was to be achieved without the husband knifing him. He explained what he needed to do, and the couple retired behind the screen. He waited an appropriate time, and then went to see how she was getting on. Her husband was sitting on a chair, quite unconcerned, while his wife lay stark naked on the exam table - still wearing the bhurka over her face.

Well I get the arse ache when I have to take my crash helmet off to pay for petrol, so its hardly fair of me to expect a woman to have to unwrap her face to buy a Mars Mar

I'd be interested to know what percentage of crime is committed by women in bhurkas.

From a criminal perspective it may make more sense to ban baseball caps.

You are criminalising the wrong activity: punish them for committing the crime, not for wearing a balaclava, motorcycle helmet or bhurka.

Hoody's, crash helmets, scarves wrapped round your face, baseball caps have already been 'criminalised' because you are told to remove it before you enter certain places. Take Bluwater for example, you're not allowed in there with a hood up, full stop. Why should the burkha (an optional piece of attire) be any different?

I'd rather try preventing it, than waiting until it happens then punish it.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of crime is committed by women in bhurkas.

It's not so much muslim women commiting crimes, but it's people donning the attire in order to commit crimes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...strikes-Knifeman-raids-travel-agent-year.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/06/2891505.htm

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/14360566/detail.html

It's very different to crash helmets, balaclavas etc, because if someone was to enter a shop wearing one of these, they'd be asked to remove it. Whereas with a burkha, many people wouldn't want to offend the women, or possibly not want to be seen as a racist/opressive by telling her to remove it.

It's very different to crash helmets, balaclavas etc, because if someone was to enter a shop wearing one of these, they'd be asked to remove it. Whereas with a burkha, many people wouldn't want to offend the women, or possibly not want to be seen as a racist/opressive by telling her to remove it.

I'm sure there's a solution - be it a fingerprint scanner at the door, the burkha-wearer going into a booth and having a pic done before being allowed in, etc. etc.

Dare I say it, but the Tories are probably right about this... it's not very British to tell people what they can and can't wear, subject to the restriction that in public-facing jobs (teachers, doctors), it wouldn't be right to wear them.

Personally, I'd rather the Muslim Council of Britain came out and said - quite rightly - that it's not very Koranic to wear the burkha / niqqab, and that in so doing, muslim women are perpetuating an outdated and irrational view of Islam.

Dare I say it, but the Tories are probably right about this... it's not very British to tell people what they can and can't wear, subject to the restriction that in public-facing jobs (teachers, doctors), it wouldn't be right to wear them.

Whilst I would agree that it's not British to tell people what to wear, some would argue that it is not British culture to wear the Burkha in the first place?

From a criminal perspective it may make more sense to ban baseball caps.

Hoody's, crash helmets, scarves wrapped round your face, baseball caps have already been 'criminalised' because you are told to remove it before you enter certain places. Take Bluwater for example, you're not allowed in there with a hood up, full stop. Why should the burkha (an optional piece of attire) be any different?

I'd rather try preventing it, than waiting until it happens then punish it.

It's not so much muslim women commiting crimes, but it's people donning the attire in order to commit crimes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...strikes-Knifeman-raids-travel-agent-year.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/06/2891505.htm

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/14360566/detail.html

This was a question I asked last night, but my internet timed out and so it got lost....

I understand where you are coming from Graysblue Jr, but to me three crimes worldwide using the Burkha (and I do admit there are most definitely more) is not enough to justify banning it.

How man crimes are commited by people wearing one of these?
unbranded-prince-charles-mask.jpg

Should they be banned? Probably yes ;)

I'm with Pubey, if we have a full scale ban. like in France, we are being just as prescriptive and oppressive. I think women who chose to wear one must be informed that at times, for identity purposes they *may* need to be removed ie passport checks, banks etc

The problem is as with most cultures that see britain as there home is they just want to live the same life in this country as there own.

You cant live like you are in pakistan bengladesh romania poland iraq when you are in england.

It alienates you from the rest of the country and rest of the country from you.

I dont beleive that burkhas should be aloud in this country for safety reasons.

I beleive that when its hot people should be allowed to wear very little , but that doesnt mean i walk round tescos in a skimpy pair of shorts with my top off.

Its a debate that will go on and on.

Whilst I would agree that it's not British to tell people what to wear, some would argue that it is not British culture to wear the Burkha in the first place?

Just what is it British culture to wear?

A viking helmet?
Carry a sword with a shield with the cross of St George on it?
A bowler hat?
A bumbag?

Culture changes mate. Also we have different people wearing different things... I'm sure Southend highstreet is still awash with chavs/goths/sportys/alternatives etc

There's a group on FB, and there is some interesting 'discussions' about the subject.

It appears that the Muslims on there, believe they are being picked on and opressed etc. They see it as we are challenging their beliefs.

Ah, poor little oppresed victims. How will I sleep tonight now knowing this?
Here's a suggestion to these poor souls: If you don't like the UK and how the nasty endemic population pick on you then **** off back to whence you came!

Personally I'd rather criminalise Islam in the UK, this covers all bases ;)

Agree with posts by Revell Is A Hero, MK, Pubey, Jam Man etc. (quoting you all would have made too long a post though).

If someone wants to commit a crime by disguising their identity they will find a way of doing it whether it's with a burkha, balaclava, silly rubber mask of a celeb, crash helmet etc. should we ban all those for security reasons too? I'd wager more crimes are committed in crash helmets than burkhas in the uk.

As for banning islam full stop as GlasgowSUFC suggested I'm with you if we ban all non-indigenous religions too. Which of course includes christianity. Back to Paganism we go! Whose basic tenant is "Do as you will, as long as it harms no other" oh hold on that's pretty liberal isn't it....****. ;) (smiley added so no offence is taken, you know I love all shrimpery types)

:D:p

Tenet. You knew what I meant.

Curse this brain, can I trade it in for a new one?

Agree with posts by Revell Is A Hero, MK, Pubey, Jam Man etc. (quoting you all would have made too long a post though).

If someone wants to commit a crime by disguising their identity they will find a way of doing it whether it's with a burkha, balaclava, silly rubber mask of a celeb, crash helmet etc. should we ban all those for security reasons too? I'd wager more crimes are committed in crash helmets than burkhas in the uk.

As for banning islam full stop as GlasgowSUFC suggested I'm with you if we ban all non-indigenous religions too. Which of course includes christianity. Back to Paganism we go! Whose basic tenant is "Do as you will, as long as it harms no other" oh hold on that's pretty liberal isn't it....****. ;) (smiley added so no offence is taken, you know I love all shrimpery types)

Why can't we just have DawkinsCult?

dawkins_southpark1.jpg

This was a question I asked last night, but my internet timed out and so it got lost....

I understand where you are coming from Graysblue Jr, but to me three crimes worldwide using the Burkha (and I do admit there are most definitely more) is not enough to justify banning it.

How man crimes are commited by people wearing one of these?
unbranded-prince-charles-mask.jpg

Should they be banned? Probably yes ;)

I'm with Pubey, if we have a full scale ban. like in France, we are being just as prescriptive and oppressive. I think women who chose to wear one must be informed that at times, for identity purposes they *may* need to be removed ie passport checks, banks etc

The difference is, people aren't walking around with fancy dress masks claiming it's their religion. If someone walked into a shop wearing one, they'd be asked to remove it straight away, the same with helmets, balaclavas etc.

What clothes are part of British culture?

I definitely see more people wearing baseball caps and flip flops than I see wearing tweed plus fours or morning suits.

Ban it now, along with Sharia Law and interest free Mortgages. Our country, our laws.. Don't like it? You know what to do.

Back