• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should the driver have control of the music in the car?

Options

• Mrs DtS is spot on. You should be watching the road.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Mrs Dts and I decided yesterday to take GoDoDtS to a place called Nymans Gardens which is some National Trust place in Sussex.

As usual I drove as Mrs DtS cant be arsed too. As it was about one(ish) I decided I would put the Millwall vs Leeds game on. However Mrs DtS wanted to listen to Mercury or some other equally **** station.

I did what any self respecting fiance and father would do and envoked the "Whoever drives get the call on what we listen too". A well know rule amongst myself and the lads.

However Mrs DtS claimed some other rule which basically states that as I should be concentrating on the road she gets to listen to the radio.

The end was a stalemate and I turned the radio off in disgust.

Please settle this thorny dispute.

I usually work on the premise that I get whatever I want in the car, so if I'm driving I'll choose and if I'm the passenger then I choose as well - works for me!

No, in all seriousness, it depends. I assume your daughter wasn't in the car, otherwise it would have been "The wheels on the bus" or similar ad infinitum. Kids' choice comes first! If we're on a long journey though, then it's basically whatever is going to keep the other half (as it's always him) awake - unless Southend are playing and we can pick up commentary!

Mrs Dts and I decided yesterday to take GoDoDtS to a place called Nymans Gardens which is some National Trust place in Sussex.

As usual I drove as Mrs DtS cant be arsed too. As it was about one(ish) I decided I would put the Millwall vs Leeds game on. However Mrs DtS wanted to listen to Mercury or some other equally **** station.

I did what any self respecting fiance and father would do and envoked the "Whoever drives get the call on what we listen too". A well know rule amongst myself and the lads.

However Mrs DtS claimed some other rule which basically states that as I should be concentrating on the road she gets to listen to the radio.

The end was a stalemate and I turned the radio off in disgust.

Please settle this thorny dispute.
Your driving,your call.

You need to hear whats going on around you and use the radio as a bit of background sound. She can use her ipod.

This is how it SHOULD be.

Bloke drives. Commercial radio station. Woman only speaks when the adverts come on and shuts up pronto when the music starts again. CD's should be prepared by the male driver before departure and track choice is NOT up for discussion. If this is all a little to much to instigate in one session then give her a map. It'll keep her occupied for hours and keep her mind off what's being played and you free to enjoy the music in peace.

Que torrents of stereotypical abuse from the lady members ;)

This is how it SHOULD be.

Bloke drives. Commercial radio station. Woman only speaks when the adverts come on and shuts up pronto when the music starts again. CD's should be prepared by the male driver before departure and track choice is NOT up for discussion. If this is all a little to much to instigate in one session then give her a map. It'll keep her occupied for hours and keep her mind off what's being played and you free to enjoy the music in peace.

Que torrents of stereotypical abuse from the lady members ;)

..........not abuse, just an observation - my kids would give him what for if that happened in our car! Radio/CD selections are made on a "universally acceptable to all 4 of us" basis, and I read maps better than my husband!

..........not abuse, just an observation - my kids would give him what for if that happened in our car! Radio/CD selections are made on a "universally acceptable to all 4 of us" basis, and I read maps better than my husband!

Sunday morning banter OBL, just kidding.

If truth be told I never had a fekin choice of what was played when the ex was sitting next to me whether I was driving or not. One of the reasons she's now an ex :))

Sunday morning banter OBL, just kidding.

If truth be told I never had a fekin choice of what was played when the ex was sitting next to me whether I was driving or not. One of the reasons she's now an ex :))

No, I know! 4 different people's musical tastes on long journeys are hard to cater for though, which is why we usually just stick whatever local commercial radio station on we can get so we get traffic updates.

I usually work on the premise that I get whatever I want in the car, so if I'm driving I'll choose and if I'm the passenger then I choose as well - works for me!

No, in all seriousness, it depends. I assume your daughter wasn't in the car, otherwise it would have been "The wheels on the bus" or similar ad infinitum. Kids' choice comes first! If we're on a long journey though, then it's basically whatever is going to keep the other half (as it's always him) awake - unless Southend are playing and we can pick up commentary!

Kids' choice doesnt come first. The radio is on, with the volume turned up for news and any football, or any decent songs. The only time kids' music comes on is when they're bored.

Kids' choice doesnt come first. The radio is on, with the volume turned up for news and any football, or any decent songs. The only time kids' music comes on is when they're bored.

Exactly - which was most of the time unless they were asleep!

No, I know! 4 different people's musical tastes on long journeys are hard to cater for though, which is why we usually just stick whatever local commercial radio station on we can get so we get traffic updates.

On a long journey is it not better to have a BBC radio station on for travel updates, especially a national one like Radio1/2/3/4 etc? I have found that if your radio is tuned into a BBC national station then the FM RDS signal for any local BBC station will be picked up. However if you have a commercial station then you will only pick up that stations traffic updates?

If you want to listen to a CD you can of course keep your radio on say radio 1 but any local RDS traffic reports will still overide the CD that is playing.

Driver wins - except with kids in the car where for a quiet life it's often what they want. Thankfully both my two are the sort of kids who fall asleep quickly in the car so it's usually only for 15 minutes or so.

Only thing I never win with when I'm driving is that I usually like something 'serious' when I'm driving (Radio 4 at home, ABC National Radio over here). I just prefer that to music usually when I'm behind the wheel and is my choice when driving to work. I can't get my missus to agree to that when it's both of us though.

too ****ing right you should choose, you're letting her have far too much say. I'd stamp that out now if I was you.

Let her know that it is your right as an essex boy to drive around with your windows down blaring out music - of your choice

This shouldn't even be up for debate. Driver chooses the music. End of!

Back