• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should the FA allow Smoke Bombs ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devon Blue

National League Connoisseur
So I thought this question would start quite the debate, and as I know some people feel more strongly than others about this matter. But I am seeing more and more clubs every week with fans releasing smoke bombs, so I know it is extremely unlikely that they would allow them but would this be a good move if they did?

I am in favour as they look good, are harmless, and add too the atmosphere.

P.S. please don't come back with "I don't like them cos they're not allowed" that's not what I asked...

I don't see why we shouldn't have this debate. Good opening argument for the pro camp.

I'm in the anti camp purely because I'm older and have kids. As a youth I'd have probably been right up for this but in my lifetime I have seen things like the Bradford fire disaster and can remember EXACTLY where I was at the time this was being streamed live. It is not just for that reason though. 99.9% of the time I can see smoke bombs and flares being used with no ill effects but who wants to be responsible for that 0.01%. Things can't go wrong ? We score at the exact moment someone let's a bomb go with crowd on their feet surging forwards. Wasn't there a goalkeeper hit by a pyro in recent times?

Harmless fun yes. Risks we can live without. Definitely. Just as much fun can be had without them.

I'm in the anti camp as well, with no control over to where the smoke billows. There could be people in the stands with asthma or breathing problems which the smoke could exacerbate.

I like them, but like most things if you allow them you'd see 10-20 per game and it'd become to much! They don't go off so regularly and I think this adds to the atmosphere they generate

My wife is asthmatic and has nearly died twice from asthma attacks, inhalation of smoke will set off asthma attacks so be pro smoke bombs if you don't mind causing serious illness or death or if you have a responsible attitude then clearly you should be anti smoke bombs - not preaching, but your choice - simples.

Even though I do like how smoke bombs look and I think they add a lot to atmosphere at games. My misses is asthmatic and we was in block v for the Luton game. Once the smoke bomb had gone off she had real trouble with her breathing. So Id be against them being allowed. But being honest if I hadn't seen her around that one at the Luton game. I probably would've been for them.

Please preach away. You have the moral and common sense high ground ad infinitum. Smoke bombs should never ever be allowed. Pointless question to the sound minded.

As already responded to quite eloquently by people with experience of breathing problems, no. Simple as.

No.

When the one was set off last week I never heard one person say "cool". The word "idiots" was however heard many times.

If I want to see smoke Ill set fire to the tire farm on the A127.

They are a hazard and can affect the game.

Im sure we would be delighted if in the last 5 minutes tomorrow we are piling pressure on to get a winner and one of their fans lobbed one on the pitch.

I don't believe that they should be thrown on the pitch as that is off puting to the players and I understand your point with the asthma but do you actually know that they are a fire hazard or are you just saying that because you see smoke? Saying that is a bit like saying dry ice is a hazard.

No.

When the one was set off last week I never heard one person say "cool". The word "idiots" was however heard many times.

If I want to see smoke Ill set fire to the tire farm on the A127.

They are a hazard and can affect the game.

Im sure we would be delighted if in the last 5 minutes tomorrow we are piling pressure on to get a winner and one of their fans lobbed one on the pitch.
This is dependent on where you are sitting and who you are with in the ground, I was in W and I heard more "cool" than "idiot". Also if they were allowed this people would not be saying idiot so that is a tad beside the point what people are saying.

This is dependent on where you are sitting and who you are with in the ground, I was in W and I heard more "cool" than "idiot". Also if they were allowed this people would not be saying idiot so that is a tad beside the point what people are saying.

The people who go in W are the people who in general will like them, thats the point. MAny go to games not to be a hard core ultra supporter, but to watch a game of football.

Thats a very small part of the ground.

If they were permitted and people were throwing them on the pitch every ten minutes then I would still be calling them idiots. They dont even have to be thrown on the pitch, at a stadium the size of ours they will affect the game even if done in the stand.

No, they are illegal. Things are made illegal for good reasons, not because it's cool to do it. Why on earth are we having this discussion???

I don't believe that they should be thrown on the pitch as that is off puting to the players and I understand your point with the asthma but do you actually know that they are a fire hazard or are you just saying that because you see smoke? Saying that is a bit like saying dry ice is a hazard.

This explanation of the internal workings of a colored smoke bomb seems t suggest that yes, they are.

Colored smoke devices use a formula that consists of an oxidizer (typically potassium chlorate, KClO[SUB]3[/SUB]), a fuel (generally sugar), a moderate (such as sodium bicarbonate) to keep the reaction from getting too hot, and a powdered organic dye. The burning of this mixture evaporates the dye and forces it out of the device, where it condenses in the atmosphere to form a "smoke" of finely dispersed particles.

I'm in the 'No' camp too. Does nothing to enhance the match day experience and could potentially ruin it for others.

Smoke bombs would also be a fire hazard because if there was an actual fire they might assume it was just a smoke bomb.

No, they are illegal. Things are made illegal for good reasons, not because it's cool to do it. Why on earth are we having this discussion???
I'm anti smoke bombs at football as it's unfair on those with breathing problems and could also (highly unlikely) cause a fire, especially at an older ground such as roots hall. But I didn't realise they were illegal, if they're illegal how is it that people can use them to their hearts content at paintball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back