• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smith Clohessy Cress Tims Corr Lund Hurst Bents Prosser Leonard Tomlinson Mohsni Laird Straker...All stay​

Smith - Go
Clohessy - Stay
Straker- Go
Spillane - Go
Coughlan - Go
Cressy - Stay (C)
Eastwood - Stay
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Stay/Assistant Manager
Corr - Stay
Lund - Stay but he won't
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Stay
Prosser- Go
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Stay
Spicer- Go
Britt - Go regardless of availability
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Go
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Go
Mohsni - Go
Woodyard- Stay

Only kept 14 on that list, would like to see Bentley given a full season in goal, with a youngster promoted to the bench. Need a decent left back, and a replacement to Prosser as cover for Cresswell/Phillips.

Want to sign a winger with genuine pace who likes getting at a full back, and as close a copy of Kevin Maher as is possible on our budget. Someone who can control a match from the middle, something that has been missing during Sturrock's entire reign. Think Timlin would fit in very nicely alongside a player of that ilk.

Reality is, we'll probably be feasting on Big Sam's scraps...

Id go with ESB's list but not keep Spillane who has looked very poor and not sure Barker will stay. Problem is with him and Phillips if theyre fit theyre good players but would it be better to try and get some fitter players in?

It's the end of the season & you are Phil Brown. You have in front of you the current squad. Next to each name you have a simple choice - stay or go . For the sake of this excercise ignore contract length on the premise that you can arrange transfers for anyone. Here is my list . Some guys are off no matter what. If you feel up to in please feel free to name a replacement - a realistic one please.

Smith - Stay
Shauny - Stay
Straker- Stay
Spillane - Stay
Coughlan - GO (Retire as a player - stay on as assistant)
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - Go - (Repalce with Agyemang)
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Stay
Corr - Stay
Lund - Go
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Go
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Go (Replace With Ricky Holmes)
Spicer- Go
Britt - Go
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Go
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Go
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard- Stay

Aplogies if I missed anyone.

Sorry to say goodbye to some old faves - but I think injuries have caught up on a few. Not really looking to get into a big debate as to why I reckon some of these guys should go just being a bit clinical.
Cheers.
I disagree with you on Straker, Eastwood, Leonard & Mohsni. Would keep any or all of the loanees, Reeves, Mkandawire, Britt and Lund if poss.

Smith - Stay -contracted
Clohessy - Stay ..............but will he????
Straker- Stay -contracted
Spillane - Go
Coughlan - Stay on as assistant......maybe? ........but there again perhaps PB will want his own man
Cressy - Stay..........contracted and as he doesn't appear to be quite as good now as when he arrived, there's a chance that no one will come in for him.
Eastwood - Go.......Yes but contracted, so will he???
Timlin - Stay.....sad to say his injury will probably allow us to keep him......without the injury, the question probably wouldn't arise.
Harris - Coaching contract.......that's possible
Corr - Stay..........piece of the furniture isn't he and what would Barna do if he left???
Lund - Stay ...........but I doubt that he will.
Hurst - Stay..........but I'm concerned that he won't.
Phillips - Stay - contracted, so he'll probably have anther season (unless Martin's law is applied) that applies to Freddy as well.
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay.......but will he want another season as second fiddle to Smith??
Leonard- Stay.......but will he follow Luggy if he manages a new club?
Spicer- Go
Britt - Stay but he won't ......think Watford did us a favour allowing us to have him a second time.
Tomlin - Stay ..........but will he??? only his age and previous record is possibly on our side. Would Gills come in for him when they're promoted?..........if so, bye bye Tomlin
Barker- Go ......as Ron says "no sentimentality in football."
Laird- Stay - contracted, so he should be here
Reeves- Stay - but I don't think there's any chance...........unless he doesn't get any offers. If he's fit, Wembley may prove a good shop window for him, as it could for one or two others.
Mohsni - Go ........adieu!
Benyon- Go...........well he almost certainly has.......hasn't he?
Woodyard-Go .............out on loan..........if he stays

My guess is that we'll start next season still with:-
Smith, Straker, Cresswell, Timlin, Corr, Phillips, Eastwood, Prosser and Laird

Smith - Stay
Shauny - Stay
Straker- GO
Spillane - GO
Coughlan - GO (Retire as a player - stay on as assistant)
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - Stay (one more season, clean slate)
Timlin - Stay
Harris - GO
Corr - Stay
Lund - GO
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Stay
Prosser- GO
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Go
Spicer- Go
Britt - Go
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Go
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Go
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard- GO

The problem with this squad is not the level of ability but there inability to play at their best level. There is definitely something amiss. The manager has changed, selection has changed, some players that were out are back and yet it is very much the same issue of players not showing their best for long spells of the game.

I am confident it is psychological and most squads have players that mentally are not up to the task but for me our squad almost entirely comprises of players not up to the task. They know they can perform, we know they can perform, but time and again they do not.

PS was praised for the assembling of a squad from nothing. Well most managers coming into the job would probably love that opportunity as opposed to taking on the predecessors signings. In assembling the squad PS identified the type of player he wanted, their ability level and the chance of securing their signature with the financial constraints of a league 2 outfit.

On paper the squad is good. On occasion the squad lives up to its hype but those occasions are too few and far between. I would have no problem seeing wholesale changes of this squad. As a unit I think they are not as impressive as they can be as individuals. The make-up, the chemistry, whatever it is, just does not work.

Some I will be disappointed to see leave but if in the greater scheme of things it improves the team then thats good enough for me.

My pessimistic view is that we'll either lose our decent/ good/ solid players because PB will release them thinking he knows best and can do better or they will get sold for a pittance. The ones we keep will be the liabilities. PB will sign, as ESB states, one or two 30+ ex-premiership players who can't run (Simon Coleman alikes) and two or three kids from premiership clubs who aren't ready for League 2 (Michael Husbands alikes). The result will be that next year we will really struggle at the foot of the table. Obviously I could be wrong (and hopefully I am) but I think we are entering some very hard times. Make the most of Wembley!

Taking this to be accurate:-

Updated list:

GK:
Paul Smith 2014
Dan Bentley 2013
Luke Chambers 2014 (Out on loan at Bishops Stortford until end of season)

DEF:
Sean Clohessy 2013
Chris Barker 2013
Mark Phillips 2014
Luke Prosser 2013
Anthony Straker 2014
Ryan Cresswell 2014
Graham Coughlan 2013

MID:
Michael Timlin 2013
Alex Woodyard 2013
Kevan Hurst 2014
Ryan Leonard 2013
John Spicer 2013
Marc Laird 2014
Ben Reeves (on loan from Southampton until 1st March 2013)
Micky Spillane 2013

FWD:
Elliot Benyon 2013
Neil Harris 2014
Barry Corr 2013
Gavin Tomlin 2013
Freddy Eastwood 2014
Britt Assombalonga (on loan from Watford until June 1st 2013)
Bilel Mohsni 2013
Seedy Njie 2013
Coalan Lavery (on loan from sheffield weds till June 1st 2013)

I cant see any of our contracted players leaving unless a deal that suits all parties can be reached. Those out of contract that I would like to see offered new deals are:-

Bentley
Clohessy
Prosser
Timlin
Leonard
Corr
Tomlin

Would like to see Mkandawire & Lund come here but I don't think it's likely with the first. Nothing against Harris or Eastwood but they are proving very poor value for their wages, that said Eastwood may still be a force under a different manager.

I reckon Brown will want his own man in as assistant so Coughlan will be off, not sure if that's a good thing or not. Timlin is the one that gets me thinking. Last season PS gave Corr a new deal even though it was still doubtful whether he'd get fully fit, Timlin will be a few months off when his deal runs out, so will he get another? Be very harsh on him but Brown doesn't know him and so is he likely to end up in the position Liam Dickinson found himself in, I hope not.

The problem with this squad is not the level of ability but there inability to play at their best level. There is definitely something amiss. The manager has changed, selection has changed, some players that were out are back and yet it is very much the same issue of players not showing their best for long spells of the game.

I am confident it is psychological and most squads have players that mentally are not up to the task but for me our squad almost entirely comprises of players not up to the task. They know they can perform, we know they can perform, but time and again they do not.

PS was praised for the assembling of a squad from nothing. Well most managers coming into the job would probably love that opportunity as opposed to taking on the predecessors signings. In assembling the squad PS identified the type of player he wanted, their ability level and the chance of securing their signature with the financial constraints of a league 2 outfit.

On paper the squad is good. On occasion the squad lives up to its hype but those occasions are too few and far between. I would have no problem seeing wholesale changes of this squad. As a unit I think they are not as impressive as they can be as individuals. The make-up, the chemistry, whatever it is, just does not work.

Some I will be disappointed to see leave but if in the greater scheme of things it improves the team then thats good enough for me.

Very much doubt any manager wants to have to build a squad up in 2 weeks when all they can sign is free transfers.

If I were a manager Id rather come into an established squad that I can then change certain aspects of. With the squad as it is most of the players could be changed in the close season so Brown has the luxury of keeping/trying to keep, the likes of Clohessy/Hurst/Cresswell/Timlin/Tomlin and releasing those he doesnt fancy.

He has a good spine of a team to work on which surely must be better than trying to start from scratch.

I've never understood how anybody could deem the situation we found ourselves in in 2010 as "preferable" for any manager. We couldn't even offer players proper contracts, Sturrock had to give them pre-contract agreements and hope the club would follow through on its promise to lift the transfer embargo in time for the season to start.

Also surprised by the number of people who'd release the likes of Prosser and Leonard. These are players, Prosser in particular, who've proven themselves to be more than reliable cover for the more established players in our squad and are paid a comparative pittance.

I've never understood how anybody could deem the situation we found ourselves in in 2010 as "preferable" for any manager. We couldn't even offer players proper contracts, Sturrock had to give them pre-contract agreements and hope the club would follow through on its promise to lift the transfer embargo in time for the season to start.

Also surprised by the number of people who'd release the likes of Prosser and Leonard. These are players, Prosser in particular, who've proven themselves to be more than reliable cover for the more established players in our squad and are paid a comparative pittance.

Indeed, it must surely be easier for Brown now than Sturrock then. He had to find 16 players from nowhere, then try to gel them into a team in the space of 2 weeks or so.

The players started the season barely knowing each other.

We do have some good players here so Brown is in a far better starting point than Sturrock was, and when you look at how Sturrock did that first year and some of the players he brought in it was a remarkable achievement.

as teaming up with Tomlin seemed to be the making of Britt and the fact Watford don't need him I'd say we are in with a shout of another loan with him. That or he'll be loaned to a League 1 side but if form doesn't pick up over the next few games League 1 sides may not want him (I assume the clubs that takes him has to guarantee him starts).

Tomlin will be off to Gillingham in the summer sadly I would think.

I think we need to be pretty brutal in the summer to be honest so I have gone for the below:

Smith - Go
Shauny - Stay
Straker- Go
Spillane - Go
Coughlan - stay on as assistant
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - Go
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Go
Corr - Stay
Lund - Go
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Stay
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Stay
Spicer- Go
Britt - Stay (but that won't happen)
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Go (maybe stay in some sort of coaching role)
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Stay (but won't happen)
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard- Go

I personally think half the squad are dead wood, most of them injured all time and don't do anything when fit.

I feel we need to shift some of the more injury prone players or look at why they are getting injured so much, particularly recurring injuries to the likes of Harris, Leonard, Laird, Phillips. Otherwise I feel another season disrupted by injuries and having to recruit loanees to plug the gaps.

Smith - Stay
Shauny - Stay
Straker- Stay
Spillane - Stay
Coughlan - GO
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - stay
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Go
Corr - Stay
Lund - Go
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Go
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Go
Spicer- Go
Britt - Go
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Go
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Stay
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard- go

New coach

Absolutely agree, Prosser had one bad game in his 1st season which he took a while to recover ground from, ever since, he's been one of our most reliable and versatile defenders. Ok, the safety kick into touch may not appeal to everyone but he's a good, solid professional. Leonard is a great and relatively young prospect, I'd love to keep him but fear that he may follow Sturrock if he goes to a new club.

Smith - Go
Clohessy - Stay
Straker- Go
Spillane - Go
Coughlan - Stay on as assistant
Cresswell - Stay
Eastwood - Stay
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Go
Corr - Stay
Lund - Stay
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Stay
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Stay
Spicer- Go
Britt - Stay (Get a season long loan straight away!)
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Stay
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Stay if possible
Mohsni - Stay
Benyon- Go
Woodyard-Stay

Back