• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's the end of the season & you are Phil Brown. You have in front of you the current squad. Next to each name you have a simple choice - stay or go . For the sake of this excercise ignore contract length on the premise that you can arrange transfers for anyone. Here is my list . Some guys are off no matter what. If you feel up to in please feel free to name a replacement - a realistic one please.

Smith - Stay
Shauny - Stay
Straker- Stay
Spillane - Stay
Coughlan - GO (Retire as a player - stay on as assistant)
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - Go - (Repalce with Agyemang)
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Stay
Corr - Stay
Lund - Go
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Go
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Go (Replace With Ricky Holmes)
Spicer- Go
Britt - Go
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Go
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Go
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard- Stay

Aplogies if I missed anyone.

Sorry to say goodbye to some old faves - but I think injuries have caught up on a few. Not really looking to get into a big debate as to why I reckon some of these guys should go just being a bit clinical.
Cheers.

It's the end of the season & you are Phil Brown. You have in front of you the current squad. Next to each name you have a simple choice - stay or go . For the sake of this excercise ignore contract length on the premise that you can arrange transfers for anyone. Here is my list . Some guys are off no matter what. If you feel up to in please feel free to name a replacement - a realistic one please.

Smith - Stay
Shauny - Stay
Straker- Stay
Spillane - Stay
Coughlan - GO (Retire as a player - stay on as assistant)
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - Go - (Repalce with Agyemang)
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Stay
Corr - Stay
Lund - Go
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Go
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Go (Replace With Ricky Holmes)
Spicer- Go
Britt - Go
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Go
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Go
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard- Stay

Aplogies if I missed anyone.

Sorry to say goodbye to some old faves - but I think injuries have caught up on a few. Not really looking to get into a big debate as to why I reckon some of these guys should go just being a bit clinical.
Cheers.

:stunned:....

Re Phillips: I think he's been great over the 3 years he's been here (excluding yesterday!) - I just think we've got all we can out of him . Ditto Ronnie Barker.

Smith - Stay
Clohessy - Stay
Straker- Go
Spillane - Go
Coughlan - Stay on as assistant
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - Go
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Coaching contract
Corr - Stay
Lund - Stay but he won't
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Stay
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Stay
Spicer- Go
Britt - Stay but he won't
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Stay
Laird- Stay
Reeves- Go
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard-Go

Stay: Smith, Bentley, Clohessy, Leonard, Straker, Spillane, Tomlin, Cresswell, Barker, Eastwood, Timlin, Laird, Harris, Corr, Lund, Hurst, Phillips, Prosser, Njie, Paxman.

Go: Spicer, Assombalonga, Coughlan, Reeves, Mohsni, Mkandawire, Benyon, Woodyard.

We obviously won't be able to retain Britt, Reeves and Mkandawire. Coughlan will more than likely complete his transition. Spicer's clearly not welcome here. I wouldn't even entertain the thought of another season of Bilel's antics.

There's 20 players there and the basis of a good squad. It needs supplementing, but I'd imagine that wage bill would be quite extravagant already so I'd personally like to see us bringing in a few season-long loans and see what's available. I'd ideally like to have this sorted by July, so our entire squad can benefit from a full pre-season.

However, I'm Phil Brown and this is Southend United, so, I'll be signing Ian Ashbee, Jimmy Bullard and one or two other 30+ footballers in late August.

Last edited:
as teaming up with Tomlin seemed to be the making of Britt and the fact Watford don't need him I'd say we are in with a shout of another loan with him. That or he'll be loaned to a League 1 side but if form doesn't pick up over the next few games League 1 sides may not want him (I assume the clubs that takes him has to guarantee him starts).

Stay: Smith, Bentley, Clohessy, Leonard, Straker, Spillane, Tomlin, Cresswell, Barker, Eastwood, Timlin, Laird, Harris, Corr, Lund, Hurst, Phillips, Prosser, Njie.

Go: Spicer, Assombalonga, Coughlan, Reeves, Mohsni, Mkandawire.

We obviously won't be able to retain Britt, Reeves and Mkandawire. Coughlan will more than likely complete his transition. Spicer's clearly not welcome here. I wouldn't even entertain the thought of another season of Bilel's antics.

There's 19 players there and the basis of a good squad. It needs supplementing, but I'd imagine that wage bill would be quite extravagant already so I'd personally like to see us bringing in a few season-long loans and see what's available. I'd ideally like to have this sorted by July, so our entire squad can benefit from a full pre-season.

However, I'm Phil Brown and this is Southend United, so, I'll be signing Ian Ashbee, Jimmy Bullard and one or two other 30+ footballers in late August.
I'd almost go for that, but reckon Barker would go regardless.

Having completely backtraced on a debate - As this is getting interesting comments from well informed shrimpers I just think some of these guys have had 3 years of trying to get us out of the league & we're almost certainly gonna still be here & they're not getting younger & we need to make a bit of room for some younger & hungrier guys while keeping a few who may improve or have one more good year in them.

Stay: Smith, Bentley, Clohessy, Leonard, Straker, Spillane, Tomlin, Cresswell, Barker, Eastwood, Timlin, Laird, Harris, Corr, Lund, Hurst, Phillips, Prosser, Njie, Paxman.

Go: Spicer, Assombalonga, Coughlan, Reeves, Mohsni, Mkandawire, Benyon, Woodyard.

There's 20 players there and the basis of a good squad. It needs supplementing, but I'd imagine that wage bill would be quite extravagant already so I'd personally like to see us bringing in a few season-long loans and see what's available. I'd ideally like to have this sorted by July, so our entire squad can benefit from a full pre-season.

But Smith doesn't come off h

I'd agree with a lot of that except I wouldn't shed tears if we also released Spillane, and Barker - the former as I think we can do better, the latter as his best years are behind him (which is just where the opposition wingers are starting to get).

I'm no longer even hopeful of getting anything sensible out of Eastwood or Harris so would be happy to see them off the books. What are their contract situations?

So:

Stay: Smith, Bentley, Clohessy, Leonard, Straker, Tomlin, Cresswell, Timlin, Laird, Corr, Lund, Hurst, Phillips, Prosser, Njie, Paxman, Reeves

Go: Spicer, Coughlan, Mohsni, Benyon, Woodyard, Harris

Out of our hands: Assombalonga, Mkandawire

I've been playing FM too much. I'd get rid of everyone and keep only Bentley, Cresswell, Timlin and Laird. Then dip into the Norwegian and Italian leagues for some gems with 18+ determination

Barker hasn't looked completely out of place when he's been 100% fit this year, which surprised me as I thought towards the end of last season he looked pretty much finished. Perhaps not at full-back, but I'd like to see him around next season for cover as we probably won't be able to send for "help" from a maniacal Frenchman with a penchant for scissors if things get a bit stretched next year.

I've been playing FM too much. I'd get rid of everyone and keep only Bentley, Cresswell, Timlin and Laird. Then dip into the Norwegian and Italian leagues for some gems with 18+ determination

I like your thinking.

Def no signing of players who are looking for one last pay day.

Still think Barker is our best left back but he's out of contract and his daughter lives in the West Country, can't see him sticking around up here.

Stay: Smith, Bentley, Clohessy, Leonard, Straker, Tomlin, Cresswell, Eastwood, Timlin, Laird, Harris (as coach), Corr, Lund, Hurst, Phillips, Prosser, Njie, Paxman, Reeves, Couglan (as assistant)

Go: Barker, Harris (as player), Spillane, Spicer, Assombalonga, Coughlan (as player), Mohsni, Mkandawire, Benyon, Woodyard.

Smith - Stay
Clohessy - Stay
Straker- Stay - my jury is out on him so will give the benefit of the doubt
Spillane - Go -have not seen but it seems like most on here do not like him
Coughlan - Stay on as assistant
Cressy - Stay
Eastwood - Go
Timlin - Stay
Harris - Coaching contract/go
Corr - Go - too injury prone
Lund - Stay but he won't - not seen yet but will surely go back to stoke
Hurst - Stay
Phillips - Go - too injury prone
Prosser- Stay
Bentley- Stay
Leonard- Stay
Spicer- Go
Britt - Stay but he won't - again will obviously go back to watford
Tomlin - Stay
Barker- Stay
Laird- Stay
Reeves- would like to stay but again will go back to parent club
Mohsni - Go
Benyon- Go
Woodyard-Go​

The following first team players are under contract next year, Eastwood, Harris, Cresswell, Straker, Smith, Laird, Hurst and Phillips.

I can't see us getting many offers for any of them except Hurst so I think we will be doing a rebuilding job again in the summer.

Back