• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should Tilson go now?

Should Tilson go now?

• Yes

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 143 85.6%

• Total voters
Good to see that the majority on here still back Tilly and the likes of TTK views are not shared but most Southend fans.
Lets get real here we lose to the 2nd placed team in the League and by all accounts play quite well. Just look at Hartlepool they sack their manager bring in a new guy and lose 4-1 at home to the bottom team.

sack tilly? behave. best we've ever had and probably (for the forseeable future) the best we will ever get

Yeah lets get rid of the most successful manager in the clubs history, I dont always agree with his team selection but you will not find another manager anywhere that loves Southend as much as Steve Tilson.

He has a limited budget to work with as does his best with the players he brings in.

This is Tilly's toughest test yet for us imo, we need to be very careful we dont end up in a relegation battle.

Limited budget?? so foran revell harrold paynter walker and who ever else who cost 150,000. Thats a limited budget is it mate?

As someone who knows not alot about football managing can I ask what someone new would bring to the club? More players, resources? ........how would things change? Would there suddenly be more funds available? Would the current players suddenly become winners of all matches etc?
In my humble opinion Tilson loves the club and all it stands for. All clubs have their down times and Southend is no different. The good times and the bad go together and supporters are meant to be what the word says....supporters. Sticking with them no matter what. Change doesnt always mean positive results.

Perhaps we should have a follow up poll to this, asking the age of those who would like to see Tilson go.

I'd bet the greater percentage aren't old enough to remember some of the dross that has been seen at Roots Hall as a result of the constant moves from one sh*t manager to another.

It's been said already, who would want to to take over from Tilson? They would have to to take this club to a high level of success to keep some of the people on this board happy, the sort of success achieved by........Steve Tilson.

Get real, get behind Tilson

Perhaps we should have a follow up poll to this, asking the age of those who would like to see Tilson go.

I'd bet the greater percentage aren't old enough to remember some of the dross that has been seen at Roots Hall as a result of the constant moves from one sh*t manager to another.

It's been said already, who would want to to take over from Tilson? They would have to to take this club to a high level of success to keep some of the people on this board happy, the sort of success achieved by........Steve Tilson.

Get real, get behind Tilson or do one.

This is a thread about Tilson now, we can't get anything off looking at our history unless we looked at our future and compared them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a thread about Tilson now, we can't get anything off looking at our history unless we looked at our future and compared them.

Where is he saying all young people are dumb? He is saying that you lack the experience of previous dross managers to be able to take a completely balanced view over Tilson. That's hardly demeaning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get real, get behind Tilson or do one.

Brilliant, we were having a decent discussion and then you come in and start saying things like 'Do one'.

Just because people dont share your opinion, you dont have to be insulting - nobody else has.

Brilliant, we were having a decent discussion and then you come in and start saying things like 'Do one'.

Just because people dont share your opinion, you dont have to be insulting - nobody else has.

Trouble is, where he stumbles on eloquence, he makes up for in substance. I actually agree with the sentiment, there are a lot of fans that have only ever known promotions, trips to national finals and beating the likes of man utd. People seem to forget freezing Tuesday nights watching Dick Bates hapless managerial decisions.

I know that's not the be all and end all but who would we bring in?

Tilly has achieved miracles with little or no resource. I would like to see how he fared with some money, a decent stadium to attract players and a few more years of management under his belt.

New ideas. . .

I agree.
However, Tilson did that and they won 1-0 last game but I dont recall any threads praising him for doing just that. I saw player ratings and how good it was but I dont recall any threads congratulating Tilly for the changes. I may be wrong though.
Wouldnt it be nice to see some credit for him when he gets it right rather than just negatives when he gets it wrong.

I agree.
However, Tilson did that and they won 1-0 last game but I dont recall any threads praising him for doing just that. I saw player ratings and how good it was but I dont recall any threads congratulating Tilly for the changes. I may be wrong though.
Wouldnt it be nice to see some credit for him when he gets it right rather than just negatives when he gets it wrong.

There is no credit due at all!

The Northampton line up was by default - it was all we had left and then we had to play Franno out of position.

There is nothing else that could be done and as usual, Tilson just stuck players in his rigid 4-4-2 formation without giving it any apparent thought.

Thankfully we won, thats the best that can be said.

There is no credit due at all!

The Northampton line up was by default - it was all we had left and then we had to play Franno out of position.

There is nothing else that could be done and as usual, Tilson just stuck players in his rigid 4-4-2 formation without giving it any apparent thought.

Thankfully we won, thats the best that can be said.

Like Ive said before I know not alot about footie, positions etc but what I did see was posts saying they wanted to see the same line up as it was a winning one so why not give Tilly the credit for giving that even if it was a once only offer.....lol.
Post ideas for him, send him thoughts etc but all negativity wont end up with a positive.

Does he read here? If he does then maybe reading what supporters want to see may give him food for thought.

Pigs may also fly I guess. ;)

Oh f*ck off and stop deeming all young people to be completely dumb. This is a thread about Tilson now, we can't get anything off looking at our history unless we looked at our future and compared them.

If you are unable to conduct a discussion without recourse to eff off then please don't frequent this board.

We do indeed need to look to our history, and when we have previously employed a revolving door managerial policy, and to the lack of success such a policy bought to the club.

Brushed that one under the carpet eh lads?! give the lad a break he is young and has allot to learn

Scott, we've got a clear policy relating to being abusive on the boards and you know full well that we do.

This has been an excellent debate so far, full of well reasoned and well argued posts. Let's please keep it that way.

Back