• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should Tilson go now?

Should Tilson go now?

• Yes

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 143 85.6%

• Total voters
Following on from pboreham's thread about this situation I thought it would be fitting to have a poll so we can see what people really think. To make it so people don't feel pressured this will be an anonomous poll and this isn't me trying to take over the other thread, merely get some figures as towards the divide in SZ. Try and continue justifying your points on pboreham's thread :angel:.

its a real shame but i just think he has got to go when i he bought in hrk sawyer and christophe he new there deals would run out befor jan... when he had the chance to make them till january... that management for me was poor. We now only have one left back in the club and he is only 18. I dont no about use but i just fel there is no security in this club. Peter clark our best defender is still tansfer listed its just not a good time for southend united and i hate to say it but relegation could be a possibilty.

its a real shame but i just think he has got to go when i he bought in hrk sawyer and christophe he new there deals would run out befor jan... when he had the chance to make them till january... that management for me was poor. We now only have one left back in the club and he is only 18. I dont no about use but i just fel there is no security in this club. Peter clark our best defender is still tansfer listed its just not a good time for southend united and i hate to say it but relegation could be a possibilty.

Errr... How?

within the summer transfer window he sighned them on loan he could have made them till january. You can only do that in the transfer windows. But instead just renewed them every month which you can only do three times.

Harding and Herd...

within the summer transfer window he sighned them on loan he could have made them till january. You can only do that in the transfer windows. But instead just renewed them every month which you can only do three times.

I can't be bothered digging up the relevant thread, but I believe that that isn't the case - we are only allowed a certain number of long term, ie season long, loans and the rest have to be short term. You also fail completely to take into account the possibility that the lending clubs weren't prepared to risk long term loans on their players.

Yeah lets get rid of the most successful manager in the clubs history, I dont always agree with his team selection but you will not find another manager anywhere that loves Southend as much as Steve Tilson.

He has a limited budget to work with as does his best with the players he brings in.

This is Tilly's toughest test yet for us imo, we need to be very careful we dont end up in a relegation battle.

Do we really want Tilson to make any more excuses about luck etc?

Time to stand up and be counted.

What harm can a new man with new ideas do? Time for a shake up.

Yes Tilson has done great for the club, but we can't keep clinging onto that, times move on.

Yes Tilson has done great for the club, but we can't keep clinging onto that, times move on.

But Tony, who would want the job knowing that 2 Cup Finals, a Play Off win, a League 1 Championship win, a win over Man Utd, and a Play Off semi final brought the sack after only 5 reasonable months and a mid table position ??? People forget too quickly the days of Wignall, Newman, Little etc etc

But Tony, who would want the job knowing that 2 Cup Finals, a Play Off win, a League 1 Championship win, a win over Man Utd, and a Play Off semi final brought the sack after only 5 reasonable months and a mid table position ??? People forget too quickly the days of Wignall, Newman, Little etc etc

The thing is, the style of play has got so stale, along with Tilson's tactics.

Just reading his post match review of today's game is just painful. When is he ever going to come out and say he got it wrong etc, all he does is make excuses about luck, and not getting the rub of the green. In this game you make your own luck.

Where's his plan b?

I know RM has alot to blame, as he hasn't made many funds available for cash transfers. But Tilly has spent and wasted money on players like Walker, Foran, & Paynter.

I know what your saying, but a man with new ideas wouldn't go amiss. Sometimes a change is good. We'll never know unless it happens.

Im still half convinced TonyTheKray is a creation by this board to stir up debate, but in the spirit of things.......

What an stupid statement. What harm can a new man do? Well.....maybe we could appoint a big name manager...someone who played for one of the greatest club sides of his generation...but he could buy a load of overpaid, overwright, talented but unmotivated players, encouraging a drinking culture in the club and lead us to relegation.

Or maybe we appoint a different former international player who would be have a fraction of the lower league knowledge that Tilson has. He may struggle to motivate players he has inherited, have no lower level contacts and be confused as to what style or formation he wants his teams to play....leading us to relegation.

Maybe the new man could be a former player who has had little bit of lower league managing success (though not a patch on Tilly) and the new man will sign a load of northern journeymen from his previous club, play the dullest football you can imagine and condemn us to watching players who didnt seem to care.

Maybe the new man could be a manager who has had limited success at other clubs, spots a decent player but no way of shaping them into a coherent team, signs some of his relatives and lacks 'passion in the eyes'...condeming us to almost going out of the league.

I think the fact we are even having this poll says a lot about the sad state of society, the need for instant gratification and lack of appreciation for someone who done very good things. Why on earth would someone do better than Tilson. What are the chances someone will do better....Id say less than 50% so surely its a no brainer.

I have utmost trust that given equal conditions to anyone else Tilly will not be condeming us to the dark days of performances and teams we have had in the past. For as long as he has taken us forward (please remind me where we were 5 years ago) he will have my complete backing.

Last edited:
The thing is, the style of play has got so stale, along with Tilson's tactics.

Just reading his post match review of today's game is just painful. When is he ever going to come out and say he got it wrong etc, all he does is make excuses about luck, and not getting the rub of the green. In this game you make your own luck.

QUOTE]

Why are people so obsessed with what he says. He shouldn't be identifying to the press (or us) what went wrong, how his tactics should change etc. Nor should he be criticising his players. These are things Im sure he deals with behind closed doors, with his players and back room staff.

In my opinion, Tilly is the best by far manager we've had in donkey's years from what I've read about Southend and if he was to be let go then I believe that then we might be in the relegation battle.

Tilly adores Southend and I believe letting him go would be a disappointment for the club, himself, the fans and the players.

So what would happen, IF we got a new manager, who did no better of a job than Tilly this year, and had an AWFUL season next year, who would come crawling back to Tilly? He is doing his best with the money he has got and I don't always agree with the line-ups BUT look what success he has brung to the club - something must be working.

UTB, Tilson IN
Dan

In my opinion, Tilly is the best by far manager we've had in donkey's years from what I've read about Southend and if he was to be let go then I believe that then we might be in the relegation battle.

Tilly adores Southend and I believe letting him go would be a disappointment for the club, himself, the fans and the players.

So what would happen, IF we got a new manager, who did no better of a job than Tilly this year, and had an AWFUL season next year, who would come crawling back to Tilly? He is doing his best with the money he has got and I don't always agree with the line-ups BUT look what success he has brung to the club - something must be working.

UTB, Tilson IN
Dan

Completely agree. Im sure that Ron Martin is not even considering a change at the moment anyway.

Firsts things first, Tilly is one of the best, lovely bloke, local man, loves the club from the bottom of his heart, but i think he has took the club as far as he can with the resources available to him. yes he has had some success, 2 Ldv finals - which we lost, we won the league but everybody tried to throw it away that year including us but we managed to sneak it. if things had gone differently that day col u would have won the league. we threw away automatic promotion the year before when it was in our hands and had to go through the lottrey of the playoffs which was a great day out for the true fans that bothered to turn up that day. the Man u game was a special day for everyone but a one off game that will probably never be repeated in our life time unless a major mirracle happens on saturday or in the future. i have been doubting tillys tatics for a long time now and some of his signings have been shockingly bad and i do believe he got a massive slice of luck with eastwood who could of turned out to be a bad signing but almost single handed was the architect of most of our success over the last few years before he turned into a liability to have on the pitch. dont get me wrong this is not an attack on tilson i just dont think he is a good a manager as some people think he is on here. I have not and never will slag him off or call for his head on the terraces out of respect for the man. Now do i think he should be sacked or resign, NO, this is because no manager we could hire that is available at the moment knows the club like tilly does or would do any better job than he is doing at the moment with the resources available, even if he got loads of money to spend his signings are about 50-50 in good and bad signings so on that basis a lot of money would be wasted on ****, but if someone became available that could or if uncle ron has a rush to the head and decides to spend some of the money he has got out of the club then i hope tilly would gracefully step aside and let someone else have a go whilst still keeping his dignity and hopefully keeping a role at the club which i'm afraid to say i very much doubt would happen.This is an honest view of tilly and the club at the present time, i said at the begining of the season if we finish mid table that would be a good year for us. In its present state southend united is a mid table to playoffs league 1 club at best as it has always been. to all the fans that have only supported the club a few years or the ones that dont know do not be clouded by the recent success we have had, dont get me wrong it has been great but it is fading fast and we are starting to return to the poor football we played for years. the match on boxing day was one of the worst performances i have witnessed for years and it is not the only one. but on a good note the club is in a better state than it was in the past the attendences are still good, we are the closest we are probably ever going to come to getting a new ground with only finances being the stumbling block not the council.

Up the Blues

Discuss

Back