• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Farmer Fossett

Youth Team⭐
Just read an interesting article in the Mail regarding attendancies in the Football League. The article mentioned that Hartlepool have 5900 season ticket holders! Hartlepool made an offer pre season that all season tickets would cost £100 if they broke the 4000 sales mark by July. I personaly think that this is an excellent idea and in this tough financial climate something that Southend should consider next year. I believe Southend could reguarly attract 8000 to games in this division if they get their pricing right. Charging £20+ a ticket to watch second division football is too much.

The article also mentioned that several clubs have screened certain away matches at their ground charging approx £10. Again I believe that is something the club should look into to gain revenue. I unfortunately can not attend that many away matches due to the time and cost it takes travelling. I am sure that there are many fans that would be prepared to pay £10 to watch an away match on a screen at Roots Hall.

I would be happy to pay £10 to watch an away game at RH aslong as it wasnt in black and white and on a portable !!

To be honest I paid £10 at Grays Ath to watch our pre season friendly a couple of years ago. That's a rip off.

£21 quid is quite a lot but Premiership football is probably £35-50 a ticket now so its all relative. I think marketing exercises like last weekend's "Footy for a fiver" were just designed to get people back in through the door in the hope they'd rediscover their bug for watching us. I reckon it will certainly make a difference to Saturday's attendance but nothing crazy. Anything above 6000 would be good (500-1000 more than our average crowds this year).

People expecting 7000 are being a bit unrealistic in my opinion as a lot of people came last week purely because of the price.

I do think the club should look at reducing the prices of season tickets though. I was a season ticket holder up until a couple of years ago and was always annoyed that we only got around 4 "free" games a season that we could afford to miss if the need arose. Surely getting a larger amount of people to commit to 85% of games per season is a better plan that a small base of hardcore fans paying full price season tickets and hoping the casual fan numbers make up for the shortfall.

Getting the money in pre-season means fans commit the money before the team's performance on the pitch can influence their decision on whether to go or not, which could make quite a difference.

I think the loss in revenue would be too great for us to consider the risk. £100 is only five league games at the current price.

Hartlepool United are owned by an off-shore branch of an Oil company who bankroll the Club as a tax-break. Were we in that position we could probably charge next to nothing as well.

In a word 'no'. The club would lose out on revenue even if we sold 10,000 season tickets at that price

In a word 'no'. The club would lose out on revenue even if we sold 10,000 season tickets at that price

I agree but at £250 with a free shirt now that would be worth it. If we sold say 6000 at that price then im guessing we would have a similar revenue but with a better atmosphere

I do think the prices should be looked at. I know we are not the most expensive in the league but if we want to get more in then i would say between £250-£280 is a good price. Doing this though could be risky for the club because you may still only get a few seaso's than the year before but paying less so losing more money than we currently are. If they need do something it'll have to be very thought out and something that will suceed.

The trick is to only give the cheaper seasos the more you sell so it encourages sales in order to maximise discount

Just read an interesting article in the Mail regarding attendancies in the Football League. The article mentioned that Hartlepool have 5900 season ticket holders! Hartlepool made an offer pre season that all season tickets would cost £100 if they broke the 4000 sales mark by July. I personaly think that this is an excellent idea and in this tough financial climate something that Southend should consider next year. I believe Southend could reguarly attract 8000 to games in this division if they get their pricing right. Charging £20+ a ticket to watch second division football is too much.
The article also mentioned that several clubs have screened certain away matches at their ground charging approx £10. Again I believe that is something the club should look into to gain revenue. I unfortunately can not attend that many away matches due to the time and cost it takes travelling. I am sure that there are many fans that would be prepared to pay £10 to watch an away match on a screen at Roots Hall.

Hartlepool's current home average is 5,565 that figure includes away fans. So they have about 900 season ticket holders not turning up for every match even though they have been doing well. Thats one of the other risks in doing these cheap season ticket offers.

As I have mentioned before Bradford City are on their 5th season of cheap season tickets, they have seen the number of season ticket holders drop from about 17,000 in the first season of the offer to about 10,000 this season. Also large crowds have not exactly helped Bradford on the pitch either.

If you think about it Season Tickets for our season in the Championship were probably underpriced at £320 especially the family tickets which were £320 for an adult & a child. We sold loads of season tickets of which over 1,500 were family season tickets (so 750 season tickets were 'free'), this meant we only had about 2,500 tickets we could sell to home fans for each match.

Hartlepool's current home average is 5,565 that figure includes away fans. So they have about 900 season ticket holders not turning up for every match even though they have been doing well. Thats one of the other risks in doing these cheap season ticket offers.

Or to put it another way, season ticket holders are attending on average just over 5 games out of every six. Not too bad.

Back