• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not wanting to be callous but we are getting saturated with tributes.

That was a nice gesture but there is no connection so I dont see the point.

The place for tributes is before a match or at half time. NEVER during the game for crying out loud. It's about time we got a grip on this growing annoyance.

I thin it's a very good idea personally! Why you would call a tribute a "growing annoyance" is beyond me!

Because when you have tributes every other game they lose meaning.

This lad had nothing to do with us, he has had a tribute at his own club. People die all the time sadly, we cant have tributes for everyone that does so.

All smarts of jumping on the grief bandwagon to me.

It's annoying because there I am having paid £24 to remove myself from the real world's stresses and strains, and engross myself in a game of football, when all of a sudden I am plunged back into it by sixty seconds of unhappy, happy clappy. Do the tribute before the match or at half time, and let me stay within the land of football escapism for ninety minutes would ya. Geez. Why can't some people use common sense and put in place the solution that will upset no one. An unarguable point of view in my opinion.

Ah, the Diana effect, where EVERYONE is duty bound to be upset over the death of someone they never knew.

When any of our fans have passed we have honoured them at the following home match in some way but only for the one match.
Coventry have now done that and I think they will want to move on and I think any of his family or close friends who attend Coventry games will also have been touched by the tribute but would want to try and move on through their grieving, IMHO they wouldn't want a reminder of their loss at every game they attend if they're trying to put it behind them.
A sad loss, yes, and they have my sympathy but there is a time and a place for such tributes and I think that time and that place have now been and gone.

I'm glad it's not just me then... I didn't even know who Jayden Parsons was until I followed the link to the Coventry Telegraph. I'll pay tribute whole-heartedly to the loss of a hero like Alan Ball, or when one of our own falls. I'll respect any minute's silence or minute's applause announced before a match. But frankly I'm often confused at the outbreak of clapping at some apparently random point in the match.

I think you have your answer Agent Lomas. It doesn't hurt to pose the question if you think it worthwhile.

Because when you have tributes every other game they lose meaning.

This lad had nothing to do with us, he has had a tribute at his own club. People die all the time sadly, we cant have tributes for everyone that does so.

All smarts of jumping on the grief bandwagon to me.

Nor did he have anything to do with Crewe...

In my opinion there are way too many unnecessary public displays of grief.

Personally I think this is a very sad event for the family and friends of Jayden Parsons but it has no 'significance' to Southend at all.

I share many sentiments in this thread, Jayden was only 15 when he died without warning and his family and friends requested for the club to do a tribute for him. This has now been done away at Millwall and home to Crewe with the Crewe fans joining in as pointed out in the article, but now is the time to move on. I personally didn't know Jayden and it is always sadder when someone that young is taken. Anyway Agent Lomas your intentions are extremely honorable and thank you for that

Bloke got stabbed and died in Basildon yesterday. Are we going to have a minutes silence for him? Fairly local and who knows, he may have actually come to a game at Southend at sometime? Probably not but where do we draw the line with all this? It is tragic that Jayden Parsons died but whatever way you look at it, there is no reason or justification at all for Southend to pay tribute to somebody who had absolutely no connection with the club whatsoever.

Presumably the Millwall away game was closest to his death and the Crewe game the first home game? In my opinion, that's the tribute to him done then. Good form on Crewe's supporters' part in showing their support as well.

Nor did he have anything to do with Crewe...

Difference being that it was during a planned minutes silence, not randomly in the middle of a match. Whilst it's a nice gesture to do something, the moment for that gesture is now over, and I'm sure Coventry fans won't want to be constantly reminded of this with more away fans doing tributes. They've had their tribute(s) to him in recent games, and as tragic an incident it was, and will all due respect to those directly affected by this, they've had their tribute at their home game and now it's time to move on from that.

Back