• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should we stick with Phil Brown?

Should we keep Phil Brown as manager regardless of what division we're in?

• Total voters
I think Phil coming back is a lovely little tie in with Ron's first sales pitch to him.

Stadium genuinely under way in summer, this time you can build your own squad from scratch, have some shares, sorted.

Coming from a place of being desperate to have some solidity and a consistent team in place its now to see parts of the old gang back together and wouldn't mind seeing that longer term as well

I hope it’s a decision of whether we want him to stay and not whether he wants to stay.

Question of finances for me, if we’re tidier on our debts, hmrc paid up, MM and team paid up etc, no embargo looming, and Brown has an appropriate recruitment budget in the summer then why not actually try starting a season on a level playing field with a genuine pre-season regardless of the league?

Reactions: Jai
Phil wants to be a messiah somewhere, here is as good a place to gain a halo, saving Southend, adds to the CV and a few extra £££ when demanding media fees for interviews. He'll be off ASAP one way of another.

I don't mind Phil's media work or tendency to associate himself with vacant managerial positions at bigger clubs but I would have to be 100% satisfied that he hasn't turned into a gap year pr*ck like so many people I have met who returned from India.

If The Roslin starts smelling of joss sticks and doing vegan breakfasts then it's a no from me.

If we go down , then despite it not being PB's fault , I don't see many clubs scrambling for him to take over.
I'm guessing the move to India was for the reason he couldn't find a club at home ?
Don't see what has changed.
A bit also like Curbishley ( and several others ) the longer you are off the radar , things move on and you become 'yesterdays man'.

If we stay up , I'm sure he will be shouting it from the rooftops and telling everyone who will listen 'what a great job' he did ( and why not as it would be ) , so I'm guessing he will either get a decent contract from Ron and try to build a decent side or be lured away elsewhere ( maybe closer to his roots ? ).
Anyway , our salvation and PB's immediate future are linked.

It's a good question, one I haven't thought too much about. Due to the weekly stress of watching us.

I personally think you can't go far wrong than having Phil Brown in charge at this sort of level. Record speaks for itself, 4 of his 5 years with us were always up high in the top half of the table. Plus a promotion, also promotion and relegation survivals elsewhere in football.

I don't buy the narrative of we would need an experienced National league type manager. Like the national league is some weird, foreign type situation where only a 'niche' sort of manager can navigate it, just makes no sense. It's basically just a League 3 if you will, plenty of former football league clubs in there.

I hope it’s a decision of whether we want him to stay and not whether he wants to stay.

Question of finances for me, if we’re tidier on our debts, hmrc paid up, MM and team paid up etc, no embargo looming, and Brown has an appropriate recruitment budget in the summer then why not actually try starting a season on a level playing field with a genuine pre-season regardless of the league?

In that dreamland situation, we could take our pick from a list of decent candidates rather than hoping someone else will fall for Ron's BS.

Phil wants to be a messiah somewhere, here is as good a place to gain a halo, saving Southend, adds to the CV and a few extra £££ when demanding media fees for interviews. He'll be off ASAP one way of another.
The 'Saviour?' the 'messiah?' In a worrying way it all adds up and what's more it's Phil's 'second coming' (it even fits in with his new look!). Then I found this article and it must be true because it was in the Daily Express.

I must admit I was getting a little sceptical about the good pastor until, at the end of the video he started talking about UV rays burning up the world and my thoughts immediately went to Phil's tanning machine. Now that's got me very worried and I don't know about you but I think I'd prefer a spell in the National League to the end of the world.

I would like to see Phil Brown stay if we go down I can see him being the man to fight to get us back up at the first season .

The 'Saviour?' the 'messiah?' In a worrying way it all adds up and what's more it's Phil's 'second coming' (it even fits in with his new look!). Then I found this article and it must be true because it was in the Daily Express.

I must admit I was getting a little sceptical about the good pastor until, at the end of the video he started talking about UV rays burning up the world and my thoughts immediately went to Phil's tanning machine. Now that's got me very worried and I don't know about you but I think I'd prefer a spell in the National League to the end of the world.
This season already feels like the second half of the Tribulation

One thing I've always said about PB is that his ego is his biggest positive! He wants to succeed to feed his ego so much that he will always be a good choice. I'd stick with him for that reason alone, he will happily take the plaudits of being the man who brought SUFC back from non league or secured their league status.

Unless all the reasons why Ron fired him previously no longer exist then no
He was mainly sacked because he'd lost the dressing room and it didn't look like he'd be able to get them playing again. Aside from a couple of players that dressing room is no longer here so arguably the reasons PB was sacked do no longer exist.

I'm going to wait until end of season before I take a view on this. Phil Brown is a few years older than his last term with us and the best he's managed as a manager is in India. That's not to be derogatory to Indian football but I don't see English league clubs queuing up to offer him a contract. So I'll see how he gets on with us over the rest of our games, not just on results, but the style we play and how he leads the team.

He was mainly sacked because he'd lost the dressing room and it didn't look like he'd be able to get them playing again. Aside from a couple of players that dressing room is no longer here so arguably the reasons PB was sacked do no longer exist.
In hindsight we should have changed the dressing room not the manager. Lets face it PB and Ron hold no surprises for each other, and they know they can work together. I suspect there is a good degree of respect as well along with a few sparks. Probably both at a point where another extended spell and some stability appears very attractive.

Back