• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should we stick with Phil Brown?

Should we keep Phil Brown as manager regardless of what division we're in?

• Total voters
We obviously don't see Craig Fagan as a number 1 - there's been umpteen managerial changes, he's been around for all of them, and he's never got a look in despite being mentioned on every one.
Agree with that, its clear ron doesnt fancy him or duncan for the role.

I'm not against Phil staying on, I just think we should get to the end of the season and reacess where we go from there. If he keeps us up then he deserves a crack at it

I'm not against Phil staying on, I just think we should get to the end of the season and reacess where we go from there. If he keeps us up then he deserves a crack at it

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly the same line of thinking that got us stuck with Kevin Bond and look how that ended up. Why are people so determined to repeat the same mistakes?

:Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang:

kevin Bond Phil Brown Kevin bnd couldnt run a chip shop never mind a football club .Where as Phil Brown has man manage skills There ends the differance .

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly the same line of thinking that got us stuck with Kevin Bond and look how that ended up. Why are people so determined to repeat the same mistakes?

:Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang::Headbang:

Come on now YB, comparing Phil Brown with Kevin Bond is a bit disingenuous?

Kevin Bond was an awful football manager who had no business being the front guy, hence why he had a career of being a number 2/assistant.

PB had a win percentage of 40%, a promotion, and in 4 of his 5 years had us 7th place or higher. Of course, he lost the dressing room. That was his problem, but hopefully he *won't* make that mistake again.

To be honest with you, I put asteriks on the *wont because I am trying not to get sucked into the theatre between Ron and PB these last couple day. I haven't got it in me to look beyond the final 6 games at the moment. No idea what will happen, just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Come on now YB, comparing Phil Brown with Kevin Bond is a bit disingenuous?

I'm not comparing them as managers. I'm not even talking about them as individuals. I'm talking about making decisions based off of 6 game samples and all the randomness that goes into that.

That's just a terrible, terrible way to go about making decisions.

Terrible because it's a small sample size; terrible because we may face teams who are mentally already on holiday; terrible because in 3 of the 5 remaining games we're playing sides we've already beaten this year so what sort of measure of progress will that be anyway?

I'm not comparing them as managers. I'm not even talking about them as individuals. I'm talking about making decisions based off of 6 game samples and all the randomness that goes into that.

Terrible because it's a small sample size; terrible because we may face teams who are mentally already on holiday; terrible because in 3 of the 5 remaining games we're playing sides we've already beaten this year so what sort of measure of progress will that be anyway?

Fair enough, I get where you're coming from now.

I in fact agree with the similarities, the sample size is very, very nuanced. I think Kevin Bond actually only won 3 games when he kept us up (Utterly conceivable that Chris Powell would of done that anyway)

But I ask you this Yorkshire, would you rather have Ron stick his chest out and say regardless of what happens it's PBs job. Or he dithers and we waste another pre season/recruitment phase as RM spends 30 years interviewing candiates? Of which I no longer trust him after the Bonds/Campbells/Molseleys and Redknapp suggestions. At least we know what we get with Brown

Fair enough, I get where you're coming from now.

I in fact agree with the similarities, the sample size is very, very nuanced. I think Kevin Bond actually only won 3 games when he kept us up (Utterly conceivable that Chris Powell would of done that anyway)

But I ask you this Yorkshire, would you rather have Ron stick his chest out and say regardless of what happens it's PBs job. Or he dithers and we waste another pre season/recruitment phase as RM spends 30 years interviewing candiates? Of which I no longer trust him after the Bonds/Campbells/Molseleys and Redknapp suggestions. At least we know what we get with Brown

I don't want Brown as manager as we've seen the damage he's caused but I think any appointment should have been a permanent appointment. I think it is also useful to give the manager that authority of a longer contract (of course the players can just ignore that as Ron just rotates his managers every 4 months now).

But it’s not a six game sample is it? It’s based on the fact that PB was the last manager we had that had some level of success over a five year period.
Just be honest and admit you are part of the 30% who don’t like PB. You don’t have to like him, but if he brings some level of success that’s all that matters.

I voted yes but with trepidation. I really think though that we need to go into the next pre season with a manager in place.

But it’s not a six game sample is it? It’s based on the fact that PB was the last manager we had that had some level of success over a five year period.
Just be honest and admit you are part of the 30% who don’t like PB. You don’t have to like him, but if he brings some level of success that’s all that matters.

I don't hide my views on Brown and it won't come to a surprise to anyone whose read my posts on here that I voted no but I can also separate my dislike of the man who left us in a ruinous state at the end of his five year spell to look at the wisdom of basing a decision on six matches whose impact will last years. It's a terrible way of going about business. Had it been Craig Fagan, Steve Tilson, Peter Taylor or whoever I'd have made the same comment.

Agreed it would but Ron offered PB a 3 year contract (not 6 games) based on the previous 5 years experience.

That being the case to your point nothing over the next 6 games should change anything from Ron’s side.

Back