• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should you always bring food/drink to a gathering

Options

• Its only a BBQ - Why would you bring anything.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Last night Mrs Dts and I hosted a BBQ for Mrs DtS friend who is a girl (Thought best not say girl friend or I will get all the Brighton jokes) and her fella. So the girls can discuss table plans.

Really like her fella. Good lad who likes a beer. Mrs DtS mate is a good girl, massive set and always got them on show which is fantastic but total dreamer to the point where it gets boring - eg. Last night despite not owning a property at the monent she declares she is going to buy a 3 bed house. I pointed out that the mortgage would be more than her income and hence no-one was going to lend that however she kept on about booking some viewings.

Anyway - Went down the shops the day before and brought my meat and marinade (so to allow it to marnade over 24 hours) for some spicy home-made kebabs, sausages, burgers and beer/wine. All in come to about £30 but not really worried about that.

Fast forward to last night and they arrive. Now for my mind when you come to someones house for dinner its basics just to bring some sort of token gift - Be it flowers or some food/drink or even a desert.

Both of them turned up empty handed. Now I know you dont give to recieve but I do think its kind of a basic to bring something with you.

Am I right or what?

Even if it's just a bottle of wine, bring something.

If you were going to a dinner party, you wouldn't bring food, but you would always bring a bottle.

Shocking! Yes, if people are invited round for dinner then it's only polite that they bring a bottle of wine or something. Poor form Mrs DTS friend & fella.

A five draw and four cans of Hoffmeister is just good manners.

I have noticed a strange trend at my local bring your own booze Indian restaurant - people are turning up with bottles of vodka. Surely something is wriong there?

Should bring booze.. Wine is fave. A load of beer already chilled is good form for a BBQ

Pack of sausages and a few cans minimum. Being 18 my mates don't really have their own houses so a bottle of wine to sweeten up the parents always helps proceedings.

You do seem to be having a bit of trouble with the future Mrs. DtS's friends!

This time I absolutely agree - terrible bad manners.

Last edited:
You do seem to be having a bit ot trouble with the future Mrs. DtS's friends!

This time I absolutely agree - terrible bad manners.

My thoughts too! I agree completely, unless you are specifically told not to (as we were for a friend's 40th bbq at the weekend - but then we'd spent a lot of money on a present for her) then of course you take stuff - at least one bottle of wine.

My thoughts too! I agree completely, unless you are specifically told not to (as we were for a friend's 40th bbq at the weekend - but then we'd spent a lot of money on a present for her) then of course you take stuff - at least one bottle of wine.

I think even in this case Mrs. SBS and I would take a bunch of flowers as a "token".

Would It've been more acceptable had she provided the evenings entertainment? i.e., Getting her set out?

We would always take something and if the hosts say no need to bring anything, the missus will usually take some cakes or ice creams.

There was a bloke who used to be part of our BBQ "circuit" would always bring a case of cheap French lager then drink better quality stuff bought by other people. The crate was then ferried onto the next bbq by the previous host as nobody wanted it.

Yep, bloody poor form. My missus often turns up at her mates' houses for BBQs or other parties with a bunch of flowers; a bottle of beer and/or wine is the minimum required.

And possessing a good rack is no compensation for lack of beverage / floral arrangement.

Matt

i agree with you on this one Dave, you cant turn up empty handed to any kind of food dig, unless told not too! Even if its a ****** little pack of burgers from Lidl, its the thing to do.

Would always take some drinks unless told not to, food optional but a BBQ's it's probably a good idea.

We would always take something and if the hosts say no need to bring anything, the missus will usually take some cakes or ice creams.

There was a bloke who used to be part of our BBQ "circuit" would always bring a case of cheap French lager then drink better quality stuff bought by other people. The crate was then ferried onto the next bbq by the previous host as nobody wanted it.

There is nothing wrong with crates of French lager as long as it is continental strength (5% +).

The weak stuff is an insult to everyone involved and if one of my BBQs ever got out of hand I would rather let half my back garden burn to the ground than pour 2.6% lager on it in a vain effort to control the flames whilst the fire brigade were en route.

Last edited:
Wine is a must.

I usually come with cake. At the moment it's a Chocolate Guiness Cake. Yum.

Back